Hanging 3rd - Honda Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd gear hangs when going downhill unless I floor it. But, if I put it in neutral when it's hanging 3rd and then shift back into D4, then the trans will immediately reengage 3rd gear and then a second or so later shift into 4th. This sounds like a sensor issue and not the trans itself? Any ideas?

The transmission has Grade Logic Control which holds a lower gear to help control the speed of the car.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The transmission has Grade Logic Control which holds a lower gear to help control the speed of the car.

Yes, I'm aware of the Grade Logic feature; however, the trans used to shift into 4th without flooring it. Also, it shifts into 4th now without a throttle response if I put it into neutral and then back into D4.

Disconnect the battery to see if it relearns.

If you want to throw parts at it, start with a TPS. It might be getting a false idle state command of 0% throttle, but won't throw a code b/c it's plausible.

UPDATE: I changed out the second and third pressure switches and that greatly improved the driveability; the transmission is less clunky.

Also, regarding the problem with the 3rd gear hanging, it does appear to be an issue with the Grade logic feature. If I tap on the brake, while still accelerating, the transmission will shift into 4th at a lower RPM. If I don't tap on the brake pedal, it can race up to 3,000 RPMs before shifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back