Hybrid Heat Pump Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one installed this year and this kind of system was new to me.
Heat pump with oil back up.
In this application it has been super fugal on oil- I locked in this year at $2.19 a gallon ( heating oil) and
and signed up for 3 years at 6.80 cents per kwh electric.

Only negative is that with the hybrid system you get shifting back and forth and when the heat pump can't get you to where you need to be you cycle to the oil furnace for which it only runs from 30-240 seconds and then it kicks back to the pump and so on.

Now I have other places with propane and this is the question.
Given the electric rates above and since I own my own propane tanks I can get 1000 gallons at a time for around 67 cents a gallon- shopping at the summer-early fall months.
To me it seems a Hybrid heat pump and propane setup is not really worth it because of the propane price.
Yes I know you can get nailed $3-$4 for propane and that is why I bought my tanks. One year it was $7 a gallon.

Anybody have experience on the east coast running a Hybrid propane system.
I think a AC with a 95-97% efficiency propane heater is a better option?

It all depends upon your climate and price of fuel. Put a pencil to paper and figure out the cost for your area, and then speculate on what the fuel cost may do in the foreseeable future-it's just simple math. Here in the Iowa where we often see temperatures below the heat pump balance point for extended periods they don't make much sense. And given that you use 1,000 gallons or more per year tells me your home may not be particularly efficient. We heat with propane, and only use 700-800 gallons per year heating (including cooking and clothes drying) about 4,500 square feet of house, 1,600 square feet of shop building, and the whole house emergency generator. This year we contracted for 700 gallons, and our 1,500 underground propane tank is still around 50% full.

Personally I find a bigger ROI on an extremely efficient building envelope-the HVAC system is only as good as the building in which it's installed.

Thanks it is only 8 years old with spray foam and all the tricks. A place I sold was your size and
sized up well with your figures- almost exactly.
Plus it has two sets of HVAC units. A very large place.
I fill the tank only because at the good price they don't do partial fills here with propane.
With oil they'll bring you out 50 gallons if you want.
But I agree- I just have to sit and do the math and I think heat pumps are not as durable and a AC and furnace combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back