2003 5.3 oil pressure sender

Status
Not open for further replies.
My avalanche's oil pressure gauge no longer works. It some times shows 0 pressure and makes the oil pressure alarm ding. Other times its pegged at 80 psi. No in between. Sometimes I've seen it swinging back and forth from 0-80psi.

I assume its the sender and not the needle unit in the dash. But could the problem be in the dash gauge?

Thanks

Last edited:
When a stepper motor fails in the cluster.....The needle will usually move out of it's Range/Sweep.
EOP Senders on '03-'07 GMT-800 trucks fail from time to time.

Just did mine in my 2003 Suburban 5.3.

If you turn the key to the on position without engine running and oil pressure is 80psi its your sending unit.

Use AC delco parts for sensors..i learned the hard way.

There are youtube videos how to replace without removing the plenum.

sender.
stepper failure wont set off the low oil pressure warning.its a "dumb" display device.
also going from 0 to 80 like that is typical sender failure.
if it was really 0 engine would be noisy.

Thanks, i usually use oem for things like this. Amazon reviews show a number of oem failures just after replacement. Wondering if i should use a napa.

This is the one that I bought..

Oil Sending Unit

Mine lasted 12 years so i figure the OEM may last another 12 yrs.

The napa one may be just as good...but on my knock sensors i went with BWD the first time and both were junk...had to do the job again and no refund for used electrical parts.

Last edited:
AAP is a good place to get them-they sell the AC Delco with a lifetime warranty, I've returned & exchanged the one in the '93 C3500 in my sig a couple of times (it runs the diesel lift pump, bad design, too much load on the OPS).

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
This is the one that I bought..

Oil Sending Unit

Mine lasted 12 years so i figure the OEM may last another 12 yrs.

The napa one may be just as good...but on my knock sensors i went with BWD the first time and both were junk...had to do the job again and no refund for used electrical parts.

Thanks for the link, i ordered one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back