Cold start tick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's car...12 Malibu 2.4 has not exhibited this before on ac delco blend but recently we switched to m1 ep 5w30. Now when it sits over night and gets cold it tics or clatters momentarily on startup. Why does the m1 do this when the oem blend did not?

I am concerned and am considering switching back...

There seem to be numerous reports of M1 oils making the valve train noisy. Im sure its protecting just as well as any other name brand synthetic though. I once used M1 0w30 in the Uplander 3.5 and it had a tick at idle as well, went away when I changed to another brand.

Are you using the same filter as before?

3-5 seconds sounds like an ADBV to me.

Last edited:
Besides the oil, did you switch filter brands?

EDIT: ^^Beat me to it.

Last edited:
Anything that only occurs in the few seconds after startup is generally not to be worried about unless it lasts longer than that. Friend's Audi A7 3.0 has a nasty grinding sound after sitting for at least a day or two, and only sometimes. Looked it up and it seems to not be a problem. I know it's a totally different vehicle but the same idea applies, don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Are you using the same filter as before?

3-5 seconds sounds like an ADBV to me.

My first thought also.

Don't worry about it, BUT I would try and fix it as follows:
1/ Try a major brand idle only oil flush additive just before the next oil & filter change unless you know for sure it's not sludged or varnished up.
2/ Use a real German certified dealer supplied oil filter.
3/ Try using a major brand 0w40 and a max OCI of 5000 miles.
4/ If that fails, use half a can of Liqui Moly Ceratec every OCI.

Make sure the rattle is not just a loose manifold, downpipe, bad injector (Try some good fuel additive) or something expensive on the cam or aux belt.

Mobil 0w40 is at the bottom of the 40 range, not sure about their 0w30, BUT that has little to do with cold start ticks.

Last edited:
If filter different thatd be my first assumption. I also find M1 right after a change to be more likely to have cold ticking. Give it some time, either way its harmless.

Probably nothing to worry about, but this is BITOG.

As others have said it could be the filter, either different brand or same brand but random faulty ADBV.

Also conventional oil and blends are more polar than Group III or PAO (Grp 4), so the polar molecules tend to cling to the metal more and drain back a little slower. Maybe you are noticing this, going from a blend to a full synthetic.

Before you do anything drastic, like a flush, just try your old oil filter combo again. You could also try Castrol Magnatec, as it has some components designed to stick to the metal surface inside the engine and resist drain back.

I experienced the same thing with Mobil 1 5W30 so, I just stopped using it. This was 10 years ago and I am surprised to hear that it's still happening!

I had great luck with Mobil 1 AFE in 0w20 and 0W30. The same is holding true with PU 5w30. I'm wondering if it's the oil filter as others have mentioned. Some of these newer engines are reported to have minor ticking noise upon starting after sitting for long periods of time that quickly goes away and it is considered to be normal. I know if it just started it would be bothering me too. I don't think you have anything to be concerned with if you don't find a resolution, it might be part of the engine's ageing process, and again considered normal since it is not constant.

If a filter swap doesn't work, try changing back to the AC Delco oil if it is really driving you nuts and report back.

Had a Chrysler V6 do that - it's still out there at 160k with planned maintenance only ...

4WD it's late out your way... time to get to bed man.
smile.gif

I agree with the idea most likely is the filter. But sometimes it could be the oil. Worst I've noticed was the Royal Purple API SN in my car. It was very noticeable. Got that out and put some Castrol gold bottle and back to our previous scheduled programming of a quiet motor.

Ohh all right. Yeah those type of alarms are really cruddy. Speaking of which I need to get to sleep.

Filter is a topside cartridge. The only time adbv can cause this is if you have a topside canister correct? I don't think the bottom side canisters like on my Ford 6.2 exhibit this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back