1911 - round in chamber or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Colt 1911 9mm competition series I use for my carry gun.

I'm trying to figure out which of these two is "easier" on the gun:

1. Round in chamber, safety on.
2. Round not in chamber.

Which puts less wear and tear on it?

I personally think a safety is not enough. It COULD accidentally switch to the fire position. While you cannot really cock the gun on accident. A lot of problems could happen if the gun goes off and hits the wrong person or hits your peter.

Chamber loaded, cocked and locked.

I don't worry about wear on the gun. I don't see much point in carrying a semi-auto with the chamber empty. Although it will probably be debated until the end of time, "cocked and locked" is the consensus for the safest way to carry a 1911.

I never keep any of my guns chambered. If you're properly trained and know your weapon back to front,inside and out,you'll be able to chamber it under any situation.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I never keep any of my guns chambered. If you're properly trained and know your weapon back to front,inside and out,you'll be able to chamber it under any situation.

Unless your injured

Easier on the pistol - probably doesn't matter...

I'd carry it in condition one, it is a series 80 pistol so it won't fire unless someone actually pulls the trigger... which won't pull unless the grip safety is depressed...

BTW, since we are talking about round in the chamber, you know not to let the extractor ride over the rim on a 1911 right? Feed it from the magazine only...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Maybe we should tell all of our military members to do that as well. Your logic is severely flawed. In the instance you have to pull a weapon for personal protection, it needs to be ready for use. You are also likely in a hurry because time is of the essence, so taking even an additional second to rack a round is stupid. Perhaps you should watch this video on why to keep one chambered at all times. Also, if you fear keeping one chambered because you're afraid you will accidentally shoot someone, you shouldn't be owning or handling a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPiic-ELoM&feature=share

You can send it to the Cylinder and Slide Shop and have the SFS (Shoot Fast Safe) System installed. Or get a revolver.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I personally think a safety is not enough. It COULD accidentally switch to the fire position. While you cannot really cock the gun on accident. A lot of problems could happen if the gun goes off and hits the wrong person or hits your peter.

I am always amazed at people who have a problem with the exposed hammer and positive safety of a "Cocked and Locked" 1911 pattern pistol.

Yet, they are perfectly fine with a striker fired pistol such as a Glock which is essential "Cocked and Unlocked". No matter how much Glock spouts their "Safe Action" mantra, The reality is a relatively light 5lbs. of trigger pull fires the weapon.

Personally, I will never have a carry pistol that does not have a positive safety system. Certainly there are millions of people who safely carry striker fired pistols without positive safeties, but it is delusional for them to think their firearms are safer than a cocked and locked 1911.

Out of sight, out of mind does not make you safer, because you do not see the the already prepared firing mechanism.

If it doesn't have a round ready in the chamber, it's a paperweight.

If you need to use a defensive weapon, it will be confiscated by LE for an indeterminate amount of time...you sure you want to carry something valuable?

Less wear and tear? Don't carry it. Put it in a safe, admire it.

Carry weapon? Don't care about minor wear and tear. Use it as it was designed.

Bullet in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on, is the only acceptable carry method in a 1911. It has a thumb safety AND a grip safety. It won't go off unless properly gripped, safety switched off, AND the trigger is pulled.

Honestly, the 1911 is an advanced pistol to master. Unless you have put thousands of rounds down range recently, and train with it continuously, it's not a very good choice.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Easier on the pistol - probably doesn't matter...

I'd carry it in condition one, it is a series 80 pistol so it won't fire unless someone actually pulls the trigger... which won't pull unless the grip safety is depressed...

BTW, since we are talking about round in the chamber, you know not to let the extractor ride over the rim on a 1911 right? Feed it from the magazine only...

Yes, I always feed from the magazine.

To clarify, was just wondering how to keep it locked in my fingerprint operated little safe. When I'm carrying, it's always "in the chamber".

So from reading everyone's input, I'll keep it that way 24x7!

Thanks everyone!

Very few folks carrying a 1911, concealed, on a daily basis. To carry a self defense firearm with a round in the chamber is best. Strongly advise you to have the proper holster for this firearm. You do NOT want an accidental discharge.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Very few folks carrying a 1911, concealed, on a daily basis. To carry a self defense firearm with a round in the chamber is best. Strongly advise you to have the proper holster for this firearm. You do NOT want an accidental discharge.

Yes, well aware. I do have the "proper" holster.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

The problem with 1911s is that they are inherently unsafe with the hammer resting on a live round. They're not as bad as a Colt SAA(which should always be carried with the hammer on an empty chamber), but still a blow on the hammer can fire the gun. In addition, the hammer is really not designed with a safe way to manually decock it. The one 1911 I own has a traditional spurred hammer, but a significant number of modern ones have skeleton hammers that are is very difficult to handle safely by hand.

The safety on a 1911 is very robust and designed in such a way that in a proper holster it won't flick off. It really needs a deliberate action to take the safety off. Even if the safety does come off, you still have the grip safety.

I should add that all of the above is only true on 1911s. The(sort of) common SA/DA pistols like 4th gen S&Ws and Beretta 92s should be carried with the hammer down, and have a mechanism for safely getting them into this state(plus a hammer block).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back