CAPA Headlight Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.
RockAuto prices -
"Regular Inventory": $25
NSF Certified: $28
CAPA Certified: $60

We've talked about CAPA on here before, but wanted to relay another positive experience; very pleased with these. Proper fitment, and beam pattern is excellent (especially compared to cheap aftermarket replacements that are fine cosmetically, but fall short here). Comes with bulbs pre-installed (two bulbs in each assembly), and bulbs are matching (same brand/part) in both left and right assemblies. For the extra cost, it's definitely worth it.

VC3lzHp.jpg

a3jtcmC.jpg

gcDm3FL.jpg

some insurance companies require capa aftermarket crash parts.

I have some capa fenders on the matrix, and they fit fine out of the box with little to no adjustment.

I've ordered CAPA front fenders for 2 of my Audis and they fit pretty darn good, better than the non certified ones I bought for my beater Audi (don't make CAPA fenders for this car, probably because its too old to be fixed in an insurance claim)

CAPA certified stuff is a great alternative for many cars. I cant honestly say I have had a bad CAPA certified part, the fit, finish and overall quality has bee more than acceptable.

A critical analysis of CAPA certified headlights, by Daniel Stern:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/04/piston-slap-stern-talkin-oem-headlamps/

some excerpts:

...All of the aftermarket off-brand items (TYC, Depo, Anzo, DJAuto, Eagle Eye, Helix, Sonar, etc) are junk, whether they're OE-look alikes or restyled with clear lenses, projectors, halos, etc. The low price is attractive, but their quality, performance, and durability are all substantially and often dangerously inferior to the genuine lamps...

...There is little or no real optical engineering behind any of the aftermarket lamps — they are headlamp-shaped toys made from physical copies of the originals, which is not even close to adequate. One might as well try to cast new working contact lenses from a mould of your originals and expect to be able to see when you put 'em in your eyes. Even basic, low-tech headlamps are more akin to optical instruments than to the lamp on your bedside table...The level of shape accuracy required to accurately focus a headlight beam can only be achieved with precise optical engineering from scratch, using correct materials with tightly controlled manufacturing and quality control. All of those things are missing from the knockoffs, which don't even begin to get in the ballpark. Light distribution is not what it should be, and often the DOT certification marks are fraudulent...

...Perfect OE fit and performance" is often promised in the ads for the copycat lamps, and more recently they've been babbling about "CAPA certified" and "NSF certified" lamps, both of which are meaningless but sound impressive...

...The thing about "OE fit and performance" is a big belly-laff; take a look at this large test by the US Department of Transportation of original equipment vs. TYC and Depo versions of simple, American-vehicle headlamps: [censored] things don't even fit the car correctly, let alone come close to performing the way they're supposed to...

...So exactly what is being "certified" then? CAPA's criteria for lamp certification, called CAPA 301 QSM Section 12, concentrates heavily on the appearance of the lamp: it has to look substantially the same as the original lamp (minus trademarks belonging to the automaker, of course, because we're talking about unauthorized parts here). CAPA's criteria do not require that aftermarket lamps operate the same as the original lamp they're replacing in terms of performance, durability, weather resistance, vibration resistance, or anything else...What is this CAPA? It's the Certified Automotive Parts Association, an aftermarket-crash-parts lobbyist group that works hard to make sure your insurance company can stick you with inferior parts when they repair your car after a crash...

...Fine, so "CAPA certification" is a smokeshow, but doesn't saying the lights are "DOT/SAE approved" count for anything? No. It sounds official but also means nothing; there is no such thing as "DOT approval" or "SAE approval." ...The "DOT" marking on a headlamp does not mean the DOT or anyone else in any official capacity has scrutinized or tested the headlamp and judged it good. That's not how it works in North America. Instead, we have a system called "self-certification." The maker or importer of a vehicle or item of regulated vehicle equipment (such as a headlamp) proclaims an item meets all applicable standards. That's it. The "DOT" mark on the lens just means the maker or importer says, "I promise it's OK." '''

...on an older-model vehicle for which genuine lamps cannot be bought any more, one has no choice but to hold the nose and try to buy the least-worst aftermarket lamps. It's a crapshoot, and you're not going to get a lamp as good as the originals...But if you can get original lamps, that's definitely best; even for vehicles that have relatively low-performing original headlamps, the genuine lamp is almost always substantially better than the knockoff stuff...

This guy seems to have a case of the arse for everything, smart guy but I don't pay much attention to him. It couldn't be he is selling stuff, naw.

Back in 2004 CAPA did an evaluation of headlights from DEPO and TYC (this is the test Stern refers to):

http://www.capacertified.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CAPALighting3.pdf

This study showed that 100% (20 of 20) of the independently manufactured replacement headlamps represented in this report failed to conform to the photometric requirements of FMVSS 108, while only 10% (1 of 10) of the original equipment manufactured (OEM) replacement headlamps failed to conform to the photometric requirements of FMVSS 108. This data was developed by testing five (5) headlamps from each model and from each manufacturer (i.e. a total of 25 headlamps). Five (5) headlamps failed the photometric requirements of FMVSS 108 because they could not be mounted to a photometric fixture in "in-vehicle position" based upon OEM mounting point data. This inability to achieve "in- vehicle position" would have disqualified any actual photometric test data, so the parts did not undergo further photometric testing.

In comparing the results, it is clear that photometric aim and test point failures are statistically much more frequent in the independently manufactured replacement headlamps than in the original equipment replacement headlamps that were tested in this study. The high failure rate of independently manufactured headlamps implies either: a) a misinterpretation of the designated FMVSS 108 aiming methods intended for use on each headlamp; b) disregard of the designated FMVSS 108 aiming methods on each headlamp; c) significant variation in the optical assembly of each headlamp from the original design; or d) some combination thereof.

Has anyone seen a more recent test by CAPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back