Question About my F150 OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is the right forum. Maybe it's more a "General" forum but I figured it's tied to maintenance. I was wondering if anyone could point me toward a resource or link or could share some information on the OLM in my 15 F150. I read a lot about BMW's OLM and it was pretty cool. I've got about 18k on mine now. Moving up to 7500k on next OCI from 6500k. UOA has been peachy so far. My OLM is at 62% at just about 4k. Running M1 0-20 EX with Fram Ultra. This is showing a 10k OCI.

I do have a performance tune in it for 93 octane.

As far I as can tell from research online and talking to other owners the OLM counts towards at 10k OCI with the 15+ F150. It will click to 99% at 50 miles (really 99.499999%), and then click down 1% ever 100 miles thereafter. I've reset the OLM during heavy towing runs and it still counted towards 10k even though the manual indicates it should be 3-5k in those conditions. The owner's manual has some information on how it is supposed to work. You can look up my UOAs and they are not great after 5k.

What engine?

The 5.0 is a great engine and the OLM seems to be fine if you look up all the other like engine UOAs.

09_GXP, Its based on much more than miles. Ford's IOLM (the 'Intelligent' part refers to algorithms and sensor tech) monitors engine
conditions as you drive and makes good estimates on how much the oil is being degraded.

BISCUT, the BMW OLM uses direct sensors in the sump which measure electrical properties of the oil which correlate to levels of contamination, oxidation, etc., that Ford does not measure at all. Ford and GM claim you don't really need to directly sense oil quality anyway, just predict it based on purely driving conditions, except of course if coolant gets in your sump.

My '11 seems to want to run out to 10k as well. But like others have mentioned it is an IOLM and adjusts based on conditions. I usually change mine around 10% remaining with which ever synthetic I found on sale (usually about 8500-9500 miles). I feel very comfortable with that plan!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
09_GXP, Its based on much more than miles. Ford's IOLM (the 'Intelligent' part refers to algorithms and sensor tech) monitors engine
conditions as you drive and makes good estimates on how much the oil is being degraded.

I agree that is how it is advertised but not how it works in practice. I have yet to find anyone who's oil monitor has worked that way. I reset mine before a 1200 mile towing trip in 90+ degree weather at 85+% of GCVWR. Per the manual the IOLM should adjust the oil change to be between 3000-4999 miles for severe or 5000-7499 for moderate conditions. Mine kept chugging along at 1% per 100 miles.

I've talked to Ford Corporate about it and they gave me a long list of parameters that it is supposed to monitor to adjust the timing but reality doesn't match. They also said I should expect linear countdown of the OLM if running similar miles (it won't go 5000 miles on the first 50% and then 1000 on the last 50%.)

You could send in a sample for analysis right when the OLM indicates the need for an oil change.

I can't recall anyone timing it exactly like that. It would be interesting. You could also try a sample only at the interval that you might choose, say 5K miles and then run until the OLM indicates it's time to change, take a sample and compare the two.

This might be a way to feel better about using the OLM.

It's all part of a learning curve, that is trusting not only the technology of the OLM but the fact that oil and vehicles are better today.

I purchased my first new car in 1966 and during the first couple of years I gradually moved my oil change interval from 2K to 3K, a big change at least for me. Over the years I've moved from 3K to 5K and now 10K. In 1966 a 10K interval would be absolutely unthinkable.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

BISCUT, the BMW OLM uses direct sensors in the sump which measure electrical properties of the oil which correlate to levels of contamination, oxidation, etc., that Ford does not measure at all. Ford and GM claim you don't really need to directly sense oil quality anyway, just predict it based on purely driving conditions, except of course if coolant gets in your sump.

I read up on the BMW OLM and thought it was pretty neat how it worked. Wasn't too sure on the F150's.

I did an early oil change and then 2 UOA of 5500 and 6800k miles. I'm planning on another at 7500. OLM will most likely be about 23%. Headed to Pittsburg this weekend for Steelers v Giants game. Should be about 375 miles each way. Few months and I'll hit 7500.

For those that asked, it's the 5.0. Very happy with the 5.0 so far. My current OCI it at about 4k and for that 4k MPG is 17.8. Lots of highway with 75-85 and a tad higher here and there (long ride to Buffalo the pedal just find it's way downward). I did notice very high MPG initially and then it dropped and has now been climbing back upward. I can only assume its part of the break in process.

retired + drive my 08 colorado only about 5,000 yearly. i change oil once a year + reset the monitor whenever it comes on + put very little faith in them!! sounds like the BMW system may be worth something, but for the $$$$ it should be

My fiancee's son has a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 that he bought new in July of 2014. He works for the railroad so he travels a lot and now has 91,000 miles on this truck. He uses the OLM and it says to change the oil at around 10,000 miles. He uses Motorcraft 5W-20 and the correct Motorcraft filter and this truck runs great, does not have any unusual engine noises and has plenty of power. Granted he does a lot of highway miles but 10,000 mile oil changes do not seem to have hurt this engine so far.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back