Toyota vs VW - World's Largest Automaker Title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah one of the members from Oz posted a guy doing a show and the host liked them.
Saw them all over S. Africa, Oz, and Namibia - but did not drive one ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
2020 will be the start of made in Mexico Corolla's for North American market ...

US companies need to get back thinning the herd like GM did - (who needs to thin more were not for CAFE) ...
Semi big 3 FC for example - they should produce two Jeep products and focus on making those better.
90% of the folks on this site can name those two Jeeps.

IMO, Ford can thin Lincoln - while Cadillac is hanging on with the Escalade and the V Series, Lincoln can't compete against Lexus/Mercedes/BMW, or even Acura for that matter. They did the right thing with Mercury, IMO Mercury lost its brand identity back in the 80s. I don't see Lincoln limos anymore around here. They're certainly doing a few things right, the Focus/Fusion/Edge/Explorer/Transit series seem to be big hits.

As for Chrysler, the LX platform is way too long in the tooth, while the new Jeep Renegade/Grand Cherokee and Fiat 500 series seem like sales successes, Chrysler and Dodge need an good shock to the heart - I'm seeing the new Pacificas on the road, but almost all of them are Enterprise and Dollar/Budget/Hertz rentals, and that's even worse than Uber for a car's reputation.

Hilux just failed roll over test - ISIS please buy more.
wink.gif

Toyota utterly buries VW in this market and has done since the early seventies.
The question has to be which company is better positioned for the next decade.
VW has had a much rockier recent history than has Toyota and as we stare into the abyss of another worldwide economic decline, which might or might not come to pass, Toyota's conservative strategy will prove to have been very wise.
VW does make a number entertaining models while Toyota makes only a few.
For most buyers, this is of little concern. Most are more concerned with reliable and economical operation than with driving entertainment.
Meanwhile, the now much smaller three have been reprieved by the sharply lower fuel prices of the past couple of years. Their profitable vehicles were unsalable eight years ago but have since enjoyed a renaissance in popularity.
How many of these buyers will be kicking themselves in the tail a few years hence is unknowable. My personal opinion is that fuel will remain quite reasonable without regard to what OPEC thinks it can do, but if I were all-knowing I'd also be world-class wealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back