ROKU users: how do you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at getting one to access my friend's Plex server. He just said to not get the stick. I saw most are pure wifi, but I wold rather have one with a Ethernet outlet on the back.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I was looking at getting one to access my friend's Plex server. He just said to not get the stick. I saw most are pure wifi, but I wold rather have one with a Ethernet outlet on the back.

Yup, the Plex app for Roku works really well.

I love our Roku. I've bought pretty much every new model they've come out with just to support them.

robert

I think I am going to pick up the Roku Ultra later today. Best Buy has it for $129 and Amazon has it for $127. If Amazon was a lot cheaper I would go that way. I like the fact that the Ultra has the Ethernet connector. Even though my router is more than capable, I have the Netgear Nighthawk R6, I prefer wired for something I actually need to depend on.

I think it's great. The only thing I dislike is how slow it is using the search feature with the controller on the you-tube channel.

It's fantastic. I just bought a new Express (the $20ish one) because my new Vizio 'smart' TV apparently isn't smart at all (though that's a rant for another day).
My old roommate had a Roku 3 that we both used for a few years. Couldn't beat it.
The icing on the cake would be more extensive foreign language app support. Tagesschau is supported (yay!), but I'd love to get RFI as well.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I think I am going to pick up the Roku Ultra later today. Best Buy has it for $129 and Amazon has it for $127. If Amazon was a lot cheaper I would go that way. I like the fact that the Ultra has the Ethernet connector. Even though my router is more than capable, I have the Netgear Nighthawk R6, I prefer wired for something I actually need to depend on.

Dont most roku models have an ethernet port? I think only the stick and roku 1 dont have it.

But if you are buying today, you might as well get the latest model that supports 4k.

I think roku 4 has freeze problems.

I've used the stick and have 3 roku 2's
I like the roku 2 slightly better.

AT first their whole ecosystem "channel" was trash.
but after sticking with it for years now its good now.

Yes wonderful. I also like how I can plug in a USB stick and play movies. I have one with over 20 Hallmark Christmas movies. Wife and grand daughter are watching one right now.
Also Roku private channels.

Picked it up tonight. Got the Ultra. Best Buy was sneaky, they have 2 displays for streaming and all the Ultras were in the back. Played with it for a bit and really like it. My mom was stoked when I showed her my Amazon Video worked so she can watch shows on the TV through it.

Just figured out how to stream my V8 Supercars SuperView through my Chromecast to my TV. I could probably to it on Roku but this worked in an end around way.

If I was to consider a Roku, I'd like to know before buying one how much the pay-services actually cost. For example...Watch ESPN...CBS...CBS Sports...ABC...FOX Sports...NFL. If this info is on the Roku site, I haven't found it yet. Also, is there a recommended minimum Internet speed? I currently have 12 MB DSL and can stream Hulu/Youtube thru a Samsung BR player...but does Roku require more?

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
If I was to consider a Roku, I'd like to know before buying one how much the pay-services actually cost. For example...Watch ESPN...CBS...CBS Sports...ABC...FOX Sports...NFL. If this info is on the Roku site, I haven't found it yet. Also, is there a recommended minimum Internet speed? I currently have 12 MB DSL and can stream Hulu/Youtube thru a Samsung BR player...but does Roku require more?

Roku itself does not provide the content. Content is provided by third party apps that you can install on Roku, so you would have to check pricing with those third parties, for example SlingTV.

12 mbps should be sufficient for a single HD stream.

I have the Roku 3 on my living room tv and it works great.I put the new Roku stick on the bedroom tv and it works great too, the new stck is model 3600 and the old stick is model 3500. Be sure to get the new one. I have around 60 free channels loaded from Roku and I pay for the Sling channel which has about 30 channels. That is 20 bucks a month my total bill. I was paying $65 a month from Direct TV so I save $540 over a years time. My daughter had Netflix loaded on her computer which she pays for and she got that to load on the Roku. Only thing I am missing is "Velocity Channel" , which I would watch more than most stuff on my "Direct TV".

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste

Look at it this way, Roku is an internet receiver, HUNDREDS of movies and shows at no cost. Like anything in life, you have the option to "purchase" more channels, more content that pay providers will sell you and charge for. The Roku is no different then your BR player except everything is together in a nice tidy endless package of content with almost all of it free. Roku has fast become the standard of all streaming devices and the device ANY content provider wants to be on both pay and free.

As far as your 12 MB DSL service? Its plenty of speed to use and receive anything you want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back