Reduced Stereo Output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, as you may recall from this thread , I recently needed to change the battery in my Monte. After the replacement I'm having a somewhat puzzling audio problem. The Monte has the premium sound package which includes a stock Amp which is mounted in the trunk. Since the battery replacement, my audio output is way down. The total volume of the stereo has been drastically reduced and I get zero bass response. Even with the bass turned to the maximum, I have zero low end output. Treble and Mid seems to change accordingly when adjusted.

Instantly I checked the fuses, everything looks good. Swapped out the Amp fuse anyway just for giggles, no difference. So clearly now I'm thinking the Amp itself went out. Now, here's the weird part though. The turn signals and the stereo share the same circuit, so when you turn on a turn signal it creates a white noise out of the stereo. Since the battery replacement and the subsequent audio issue, this is no longer the case. Even the turn signal sound is reduced and there is no interference! Shouldn't this indicate that the amp is in fact putting out SOME juice?

I think the only logical next step is to go to a junkyard and swap out the amp to see if that's it. Any ideas on things to test before doing that?

I'm thinking loose wire or bad grounding. Inspect and reseat all connecting plugs before replacing parts. That goes for the head unit too as well as the amp in the trunk.

An OEM sound system shouldn't create noise when the turn signals operate. Something in the amp was on the way out.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
I'm thinking loose wire or bad grounding. Inspect and reseat all connecting plugs before replacing parts. That goes for the head unit too as well as the amp in the trunk.

Yeah, already checked all wires. Everything is as it should be.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Open it up and look for burnt components.

Good suggestion, think I'll crack it open tomorrow while the snow is falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back