Alternator Bearings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need new bearings for my alternator. Where does one buy bearings? I would have thought they would be easily sourced online but alas, no joy...

NSK B17-102DG46
NSk 6202-DU

From a store that sells bearings, hoses, belts etc. Should be able to find bearing # on bearing. Probably a double sealed bearing with better tolerances. Might as well replace both bearings when you are that far into the alternator. Go for it 1986.

Found mine on eBay. I got the model number of my alternator then put in "rebuild" kit or something similar.

Awesome! There is one less than a mile from my office... I'll check it out on Monday. Saw the rebuild kits but the come with much more than I need for much more money than two bearings.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
Awesome! There is one less than a mile from my office... I'll check it out on Monday. Saw the rebuild kits but the come with much more than I need for much more money than two bearings.

If you have a bearing going bad and have to tear it apart, why not just rebuild the whole thing?

I have two auto parts stores in my little town and both have or can get most of the bearings one needs. Also a electric motor and alternator repair shop. Check your tensioners while your at it. I have found that if the alternator bearings are going the tensioner bearings are about the same. No sense in having to pull everything apart for the cost of 5 to 10 bucks for another bearing or two.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
why not just replace the alternator with a new or rebuilt one?

Replace the whole car and be done with it.

Bring it to an alternator rebuild shop and they can tell you what is needed and sell you proper bearings. You may need brushes or the armature cut on a lathe. Buying from these shops keeps them in business which is good.

I have used a local shop to rebuild a Mercruiser trim pump and a Ramsey winch motor. They seem to do 12v motors in addition to alternators and starters.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Bring it to an alternator rebuild shop and they can tell you what is needed and sell you proper bearings. You may need brushes or the armature cut on a lathe. Buying from these shops keeps them in business which is good.

x2!!!

Did it a few times.
They also have a better insight when selling a new alternator or starter on which one is good and rebuildable and can be used for your car.

For example, the sienna in the signature uses a later model starter that is not really rebuildable and seems to have shore life cycle. So he sold me one that works used in an older model toyota engines. It is rebuildable and also more reliable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
#203 used to be the most common front bearing.fit practically every alternator,pully etc.

Didya mean 6203? $2 on ebay.

Truck has 93K miles. It is coming due for a tuneup so I have been just slowly knocking things out. The automatic tensioner was pretty worn and rattled quite a bit. It set two misfire codes in the last two months so I tackled the belt, idler, and tensioner. While in there I took a minute to check everything as I have had a chirping on cold start that lasts about 30 seconds. I had hoped it was the idler or tensioner but despite their wear the only thing I could spin and duplicate the sound with was the alternator. It charges fine, spins well, and I feel no play but it is most definitely the alternator.

The alternator is an easy job on this truck so I am ok with replacing the bearings and gambling on it functioning for a few years. Plus opening it will allow me to inspect it's condition and I will of course replace if necessary.

My experience with rebuilt alternators has never been positive. I would gladly rebuild it myself but the quality of the rebuild kits is an unknown...

That's quite a bit of stuff needing replacement on a vehicle with less than 100k.

I seem to remember passing an alternator shop on 35 in Pearland in the not so distant past.

For the B17102DG46 bearing, Napa has it as part #6303-2RSJ. The 6202-DU didn't really cross reference in my computer, but if it's sealed on both sides, it should be part # 6202-2RSJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back