Replaced the high pressure power steering hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

today on my 1998 chevy K1500 with the 5.7L For a repair that looked pretty easy, it sure frustrated the heck out of me. There is hardly any room to get to the hose fitting on the back of the pump. Taking the old hose off was easy compared to putting the new one on. It took me forever to get the screw in fittings started on both ends which resulted in a lot of cuss words and having to step away for a minute before I did some un-needed damage to the truck. Experiences like this is why I could never be a mechanic. It seems like a lot of jobs that should be easy turn into a long frustrating process. Anyone else experience this?

Wayne

I replaced the same hose on my PT Cruiser last summer. It too was difficult. I purchased a set of flare nut crow foot sockets prior to the job. I already had a nice variety of extensions for my 3/8" ratchet. Having the right tools made the job do-able, it still was a bit tedious, but rewarding when done. For anyone attempting this job: have the right tools. It's not a job you want to fudge with standard wrenches at bad angles, or, God forbid, an adjustable wrench.

Originally Posted By: wtd
It seems like a lot of jobs that should be easy turn into a long frustrating process. Anyone else experience this?

Every day, its the norm not the exception.

My older brother taught me a trick that has served me well. Loosen the pump on its mounts. Works well for master cylinders too. Modern cars are engineered to be assembled, not repaired.
frown.gif

Assembled, not repaired.. yup.. found that out when I tried to perform a simple transmission gasket change. had to drop the exhaust to get the pan off..

Yes they can be a royal pain.

Here is a Volvo 240 brake junction block that is about the size of a D battery. It has eight brake lines attached to it. I changed one recently on my 240 Volvo, and I was letting the cuss words fly. That's not the picture of mine, but it looks the same minus the rust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: BigD1

+1. As you get more experience those type of repairs become easier. Some designs of modern cars make you want to set them of fire and roll them out to the curb.

Just make sure you have lots of patience and the repairs might take longer, but will be tolerable.

Yes they can be a royal pain

Here is a Volvo 240 brake junction block that is about the size of a D battery. It has eight brake lines attached to it. I changed one recently on my 240 Volvo, and I was letting the cuss words fly. That's not the picture of mine, but it looks the same minus the rust.

My knuckles hurt just looking at that.

UD

A lot of jobs, automotive or otherwise, turn out to be a lot more difficult than it looks. This is the main reason why the general public distrusts mechanics. The thinking is - the mechanic is ripping me off charging me 3 hrs labour when the job is simple, just unscrew the two ends of the old hose off and screw in the new ends.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: wtd
It seems like a lot of jobs that should be easy turn into a long frustrating process. Anyone else experience this?

Every day, its the norm not the exception.
That is why it is called WORK.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

My knuckles hurt just looking at that.

UD
When I was a little kid I would hang out with my uncle when he repaired his Caterpillars, it was fun to hear him swear. That was the only time he had any bad thing come out of his mouth . Except when he spoke about the horses he kept for the us kids to ride and work the cows. The sons a !@#$ hay burners !!!I adored my aunts and uncles.

Originally Posted By: JC1

+1. As you get more experience those type of repairs become easier. ...

Very true, but the 1st time you do a job.....it's a knuckle scraping, cussword spouting experience. At least for me.

I had the correct size flare wrenches but trying to start the nuts on the new lines was very frustrating as nothing would line up. I had to bend this bracket that went along the bottom edge of the power steering pump because the new line kept hitting it and made the line go in at an angle. If I would have had a helper, things might have went more smoothly. Today I'm sore and have all kinds of cuts and scrapes on my arms and hands.

I read on another forum that the dealer was going to charge this guy $250 in labor to do this job. At least I got it done and it doesn't appear to leak.

Wayne

I did that on my Dodge about 10 years ago. Same deal, cut up hands from tight fit and if those fittings aren't lined perfect they are hard to get started. Seems like a simple job but like everything else takes time getting it in there and lined up. Still better than paying someone else.

Yeah..having large hands and thinking that installing a block heater into my corolla would take 30 mins...not so fast..trying to get it into the side of the engine was a real pain. Ripped up my hands pretty bad and took more like a few hours..ugh..agreed..wouldnt become a mechanic for that reason..big hands not so helpful..most xl gloves are too small..lol..

I bit the bullet and had my mechanic replace the HPPS on my Infiniti. The rack fittings are a PITA to get to on this car so I didn't even bother to try on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back