How CFB teams picked to play for conference champs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how teams are selected to play for their conference championships. For example, why are Penn St. and WIS playing for the Big 10 championship? Shouldn't MI be one of the teams playing for the title? After all, they did beat both Penn St. and WIS this year...for that matter, why isn't OSU playing in it either...they beat WIS and MI...I don't understand how the teams are picked...

OSU & Penn State are tied in their division (Big 10 East), but Penn St. beat OSU, so they win on that tiebreaker, Wisconsin won the Big 10 West outright. Sad thing is, OSU will probably go to the CFB playoff over either potential Big 10 champ!

Last edited:
Pretty much the same for any conference - the winners of the divisions of the conference play each other. It is not necessarily the two best teams in the conference - one division can be stronger than the other.

In this one, Wisconsin won the west outright, Penn State Wins the east by tying OSU and wins the tiebreaker by having beat OSU.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Sad thing is, OSU will probably go to the CFB playoff over either potential Big 10 champ!

That's because the B1G champ will either have been absolutely trucked by Michigan 49-10 in a completely outmatched blowout and lost to Pitt -or- had two B1G losses. Their own fault, not the system's. No one can match Ohio State's resume this season despite the loss in Happy Valley. This is why they will be in.

You could certainly make a case for Michigan being in the final 4 along with tOSU. I certainly think they are better than Washington as I think Wisconsin is better than Washington.

PSU is a mixed bag. They are a very young team and the D and O line has been decimated by injuries. And now that Barkley is hurt its unlike that that they will beat Wisconsin. Next year will be their year as will the year after that. Barkley will challenge next year for the Heisman and will forgo his senior yr.. We are loaded with good backs.

McSorely is a RedShirt Soph. Baring injuries he has the potential to erase all the QB records at PSU. He will be fun to watch.

Originally Posted By: Al
Got it grampi?

Yeah, I forgot about the divisions...and I don't know who's in what division in college like I do in the NFL...

Last edited:
You could certainly make a case for Michigan being in the final 4 along with tOSU. I certainly think they are better than Washington as I think Wisconsin is better than Washington.

PSU is a mixed bag. They are a very young team and the D and O line has been decimated by injuries. And now that Barkley is hurt its unlike that that they will beat Wisconsin. Next year will be their year as will the year after that. Barkley will challenge next year for the Heisman and will forgo his senior yr.. We are loaded with good backs.

McSorely is a RedShirt Soph. Baring injuries he has the potential to erase all the QB records at PSU. He will be fun to watch.

No. Michigan blew 2 10pt leads in back-to-back weeks.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog

No. Michigan blew 2 10pt leads in back-to-back weeks.

One question I don't see the committee asking themselves is MI actually NOT one of the 4 best teams in the country? I think they are and they're certainly better than Washington. MI barely lost to OSU in double overtime, and outplayed OSU for most of that game. In my book MI should be ranked 4th. Another factor I don't think carries enough weight in these selections is head-to-head matchups. To me, weather a team lost one or two games shouldn't matter as much as one team beating another. To me, MI destroying Penn St. was more important than Penn St having one less loss or winning the conference, and I think Penn St. beating OSU is more important that OSU having one less loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back