Looking for $10k car for wife to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approaching 100k miles on our 2008 Toyota Matrix and my wife is hinting at getting a newer car with some more features.

Current car needs struts and a 4 wheel alignment, and I feel I can sell it for $5000.

We would be looking at a car for no more than $12000, and pay cash for almost the whole thing.

Her needs, she wants a car that is not "low to the ground", something "good on fuel economy", also "hands free cellular via bluetooth, audio streaming, and possibly XM radio".

A late model, clean title, no damage Kia Soul can be had for under $10k with almost no miles on it. It fits all of her qualifiers.

She hates coupes. She prefers a hatch or 4 door car that has a higher center of gravity.

We looked a Versa and a Versa note and they seemed a little too small for her.

The pricing on the Scion xB seemed too high for what you got.

Honestly, she likes the wagon style car. Or the micro SUV.

Any comments on the late model Kia soul, or any other cars I am missing?

We rented a Kia Soul for two weeks a couple of years ago. It suited our needs to haul two people, two briefcases and two large suitcases. It didn't seem underpowered and traveled well in Conn, NH, Vermont and places in between. I am a pretty big guy so it should fit her fine.

Cannot comment on reliability since we were users, not owners.

What about a base Jetta/Golf wagon? Might be able to score a deal on one of those since VW is looking to move metal.

That car you have is a gem and somebody is gonna get a fair deal on it. Alas, it is clear she wants a new one.

I cant comment on the Soul but if it is GDI or turbo, stay away.

I, although unimpressed with it's oil burning due to poor oil drain holes in the pistons, reallly like my xB. And in the latest generation it has the same great motor as the Camry and Rav4. It handles winter like nobody can imagine. I''m not sure if it is the balance of weight or what. I'm a WI driver.

The Ford Escape is a good run of the mill choice cheaply. But you can expect some repairs that arent as common on a Toyota such as perhaps a shifter lock issue or lift gate open sensor or a rear taillight that keeps blowing.

Seems the marketers at KIA were shooting for the younger crowd but it has been almost the opposite with the older retirees loving it instead.
I love the Scion Xb 2nd gen that I got but they are hard to find without 100k miles under $10k. As luck had it mine came up for sale as salvage from rental and had full record of repairs and inspection. 18k on the meter.
I had a Pontiac Vibe made in the same plant as the Matrix and thought it was a bit small and couldn't keep a set of tires on it for some odd reason

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Late model Ford Escape

+100
smile.gif

How about electric? A few friends have Nissan Leafs and love them. I drove one once and was very impressed: no noise, no vibration. The silence felt really luxurious. I only drove it a few miles, but I was told they feel like that even at highway speed. They're running a deal locally where you can get a new one for $12k. Maybe they've got deals where you are too.

Was just talking with one of the guys yesterday, and we calculated he charges the battery fully for $2.40 and has about 120 mile range (city, less on highway). 2 cents a mile!

mV2kQQl.jpg

Thanks all.

Her matrix is pretty reliable, she is just looking for something with more modern amenities. Austin has a cell phone handsfree law now, and messing with bluetooth dongles has not worked great for us.

Electric car would not suit us, as she sometimes drives up to Dallas for work, etc. Also not large enough.

I drive a Ford Escape as a work provided vehicle, and it has been fairly reliable and boring. Fuel economy returns in the low 20's in mostly city driving. We have had issues with the liftgate sensor and other odd problems. I will take a look at the escape, or the scion xb.

She works in a very rural area with country roads. I think the escape would suit her well.

My grandmother was wanting a newer car last month. I found them a 2011 Honda CR-V LX with 63k miles for $11,999. Total cream puff, looks brand new. You can get them with a little more miles for less.

It's the base model so no Bluetooth but it would be easy to change the radio to a Pioneer or something with Bluetooth built in.

2008/2009 Taurus, Sable, or Taurus X( wagon)
Very comfortable, high ride position, handles very well for a boat of it's size, and returns almost 30mpg on the hwy. Very popular in my extended family. We have 3 of the wagons, and 2 sedans.

When I bought the sable, my insurance dropped significantly from what it was on the neon.

Although not exactly what your wife (because ride height isn't as tall as a CUV) is looking for, I strongly recommend the 2014 and later Chevy Cruze. Pretty much all the bugs had been worked out by then and they are in the price range you're looking for. It's hard to get something really good for 10K, though. You may have to come up with a little more than that.

Last edited:
Just replace the stock radio with the one which has BT. Seems rather strange that somebody would buy a whole new car just to get BlueTooth. Look at youtube to find the exact make and model of your existing vehicle and how to swap the head unit. Shop at Crutchfield and you can get the whole shebang shipped to you starting at $100. The expensive units (hopefully) will have better display but feature wise they would be similar.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've always liked the X-Terra's.

Reliable vehicle. One of the poorest riding on the market.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
2008/2009 Taurus, Sable, or Taurus X( wagon)
Very comfortable, high ride position, handles very well for a boat of it's size, and returns almost 30mpg on the hwy. Very popular in my extended family. We have 3 of the wagons, and 2 sedans.

When I bought the sable, my insurance dropped significantly from what it was on the neon.

OP posted he wanted something with "modern amenities"......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back