Post your winter tire/wheel setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
265/70R17 Firestone Winterforces on my '07 F-150 SC 4x4, scored an identical set of my factory chrome XLT
wheels on eBay including TPMS sensors for $150. Summer tires are 255/70R17 Yokohama Geolandar H/T G056.

215/65R16 Blizzak WS70's (on clearance from TireRack) on my '07 Caravan SXT with steelies from RockAuto. Summer's are Altimax RT43's on factory alloys.

185/65R14 Altimax Arctics on factory alloys on my '97 Mercury Tracer LS wagon, summer tires are also RT43's on Rial Campos from TireRack.

I've also been swapping them over later and back earlier the past two years. It's been so warm I don't wanna burn them up. The pic is from a few Saturday's ago, it was 65 degrees. The next day was 8" of snow lol.

we haven't had a winter "bad enough" to warrant them on my FWD sedans( If i was driving my brother's challenger, maybe*)
looking forward to seeing how my Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring do in the white stuff. they've been fantastic in everything else...

*Currently has the factory Goodyear Eagle F1 "3 season" tires, which he got away with running in Dallas winters, not likely back here in OH..He'll park the Chally and drive his Dakota, with 9yr old, 9mm trad remaining Stampede(NTB house brand) Tires( old enough they were made by Cooper)

On the mr2 I have 1993 camry steelie 14s on the front with 185/60r14 and 2004 camry steelie 15s on the back with 195/60r15. General altimax arctics. Looking forward to some real snow to test them out.

Im running on my 2nd season with Nokian Hakka R2's on steel wheels, which have been excellent in most conditions except pure ice... next time Im going with some Nokian winters with their diamond studs. They would be excellent here, as my primary concern is ice and never had a problem on snow..obviously I do what alot of drivers dont, I slow down in bad conditions.

Winter tire law exists here because they dont slow down to adjust to driving conditions. We got hit with snow a couple weeks back and my AS Cooper RS3's handled it with ease.

Purchased 18" hub centric rims through Costco online for my 2016 Sorento along with 235/60-18 Blizzaks DMV2.
Been there twice trying to get a good balance. A vibration/jiggle sets in at 100 KPH - thinking I might have to take advantage of the Costco warranty and return the whole lot.

Never seen this happen and I have bought many sets of wheels and tires over the years. Tires could be non-centric to the rim, but not sure if they can fix that. Or know how.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
The factory Goodyears were terrible so I went with some Cooper A/T3's all year around.

I ran a set of those. They look like they would do better than they do. Better than the factory ones but not great. They wear ugly and fast also.

255/55 R18 107T Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
This is photo from last year, they now have approx. 16,000 miles.
2a6837k.jpg

34hurg3.jpg

This will be my first winter living where it snows. I am confident that the Michelin LTX M/S2s will do well on the Suburban but am not sure about the Cooper CS5 Ultra Tourings on the Grand Prix. I'm just glad my wife stays home with the kids so I will be able to "borrow" the Burb if I can't get the GP up the driveway rather than spending money on dedicated winter tires that I may only have need of a few days each year.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
This will be my first winter living where it snows. I am confident that the Michelin LTX M/S2s will do well on the Suburban but am not sure about the Cooper CS5 Ultra Tourings on the Grand Prix. I'm just glad my wife stays home with the kids so I will be able to "borrow" the Burb if I can't get the GP up the driveway rather than spending money on dedicated winter tires that I may only have need of a few days each year.

Do not think about moving forward, think about stopping and lateral handling.

Put steels on the Camry with one year old Michelin xi3 at town fair tire today,replaced two Michelin xi3 on the wife Malibu,run them year around as she drives less than 5k per year.Front two Michelin wore out after 5 years with no tire rotation.Saved about $80 per year by not changing each year for 5 years,total savings $400 witch is more than the cost of the 2 new Michelin ($220.)

Originally Posted By: fxrider
I Would never put Cooper tires on my truck. just don't like them.

Good for you, best tires I've owned on a truck.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

Why "not sure about" the coopers? Just curious as I put a set of those same ones on my sable back in April...

Is there a bad review or something I missed?

I'm awaiting the arrival of the white to see how they compare to the previous pirelli p6's

Last edited:
The CS5 ultra should be ok but they are supposedly inferior to the cs5 grand touring in snow.
and the tread pattern isnt too inspiring for more than a couple inches.
I expect them to be throughly ~~average in the white stuff.(for an all-season)

I have the Michelin Xi3s on my Accent with the OE steel 14" wheels. Second winter for them and they are a size wider than OE at 185/70s. It will claw through snow until it gets lifted by it from being too deep.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I have the Michelin Xi3s on my Accent with the OE steel 14" wheels. Second winter for them and they are a size wider than OE at 185/70s. It will claw through snow until it gets lifted by it from being too deep.

Well that is known issue wth Xi3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back