Shell X-100 back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard some discussion of Shell X-100 motor oil. It is supposed to be very good for older classic car engines, pre-catalytic converter cars. Really? I remember hearing of X-100 when I was a kid. I didn't even know it was still available. Is there anything to this? I have a restored, numbers matching '68 Camaro, 327 CID. Should I consider X-100 for it?

Originally Posted By: goldenpony
I have heard some discussion of Shell X-100 motor oil. It is supposed to be very good for older classic car engines, pre-catalytic converter cars. Really? I remember hearing of X-100 when I was a kid. I didn't even know it was still available. Is there anything to this? I have a restored, numbers matching '68 Camaro, 327 CID. Should I consider X-100 for it?

The newer oils are superior to older specifications, I would run whatever viscosity specified in a HDEO or regular PCMO. Probably would run well on Rotella T5 10w30 or anything similar

Yep Shell are making Shell X-100 in SAE 30 and 20W-50, it comes in a nice tin can which obviously is targeting the classic car crowd.
It would be interesting to see a VOA of it, it's probably got high Zinc levels and a light additive package.
It have seen the prices and it is a tad expensive and hard to get, for your Camaro i would just run a cheap HDEO like Delo 400 or Shell Rotella, or Amsoil Z-Rod, Valvoline VR1 etc... assuming it has a Flat tappet cam.

2000ppm really? Can you post a link to where you found that?
That's almost too much zinc! Although breing a Group 1 20w50 it could be good for some cars that are rarely driven since they stick well to engine parts after being shut off.

Probably not 10W50, but maybe some 15W50, if they follow the path Motul followed.

@FCD => Duckryder already put the link to the faq and pdf, also 2400ppm Ca according to them (20W50)?
SAE 30 has quite a low TBN, I guess it doesn't have 2400ppm Ca

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Hard to beat a quality Group I oil...Maybe they'll bring back the 10W50 grade as well...

Is that Sarcasm or?? because i can't imagine a Group 1 10W-50 being too shear resistant.

This is for even older cars.

Its a group 1 mineral oil with high zinc.

This isnt for a classic car its for antique cars.. IMO.. but those terms are subjective.

Super low TBN, little to no dispersants causing the sump to start filling up with sludge (making an oil filter much less effective & potentially allowing contaminants to re-enter the oil system under hot conditions & spirited driving)-what could possibly go wrong? I'll stick with HDEO for older engines, thanks.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Hard to beat a quality Group I oil...Maybe they'll bring back the 10W50 grade as well...

Is that Sarcasm or?? because i can't imagine a Group 1 10W-50 being too shear resistant.

+1, 10W50 are usually more like thick 10W40 than anything else! Even with gr III + PAO like the Total in my sig.

Edit : I think SAE 30 and 20W50 are not formulated the same at all, SAE 30 for "antiques" but 20W50 for "less antiques", maybe cars til the 70's/80's? At least that's how the Motul line is advertised, so just extrapolating here. Also 2400ppm Ca in the 20W50...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

Sarcasim...I'll have to make footnotes in the future

If somebody gave me a can or two of it i would definetly use it, but like a lot of so called "classic car oils" it's lacking in detergency, tbn etc... .
There are far better 20w50 dino oils out there like Kendall GT1 , Valvoline VR1.
It's also fairly expensive , like Castrol XL classic for example it comes in a nice tin can but when you look at the oil it's got a weak add pack that is not even high in zinc which would be expected from a classic car oil.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Super low TBN, little to no dispersants causing the sump to start filling up with sludge (making an oil filter much less effective & potentially allowing contaminants to re-enter the oil system under hot conditions & spirited driving)-what could possibly go wrong? I'll stick with HDEO for older engines, thanks.

+1

But, I might buy a "can" for my bud's oil can collection
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: goldenpony
I think I'll just stick with the Pennzoil 10W40 I've been using in my Camaro

I'd run Shell Rotella 10W-30 or 15W-40 in it, a 15W40 HDEO is miles better than a 10W40 PCMO

A 15W-40 HDEO such as Delo 400 or Shell Rotella will have :
Better base stock quality.
Better heat resistance.
More detergents that help keep the engine clean.
More anti wear additives such as Zddp that are important when you have a flat tappet cam.
Higher Total Base Number , which is the hability of the oil to neutralize acids.
Less volatile.
It will most likely stay within the 40 grade range in viscosity , a regular conventional 10w40 will turn to a 30 grade rather quick.
They have to pass more stringent tests as they have to meet current both Diesel and Gas oil specifications.
Cheap cost and easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back