Oil change kits on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
~$40, with unknown oil oil & filter? and they advocate using the shipping box for the drain pan...
PASS!

"*Ultra-convenient complete oil change kits come with everything you need to change your own oil.
*Kit includes, Oil, filter, Disposable funnel and the lined Eco-Friendly shipping box doubles as an oil drain pan.
*All of our kits are shipped with the direct OE fit replacement filter and the exact spec and quantity of oil recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.
*All kits available in full synthetic, semi-synthetic and conventional grades of motor oil.
*Please note: Kits may come with either conventional plastic motor oil containers or our soft sided foil packaging."

note that last one.
and the second pic, with just the filter on it's side, is a napa filter.

Wow. I think I'll stick to buying oil and filters, knowing exactly what I'm paying for. I wonder how those kits sell?

Maybe useful for someone in an apartment who wants to change their own oil but for the price you can easily have a trusted mechanic do it. Overpriced and not for me.

yes its overpriced etc.

just thought it was a cool idea like the description where its kinda sorta eco-friendly with the funnel and quarts bags instead of bottles

and that you are suppose to be able to use the box with the lining for a drain pan.

"Ultra-convenient complete oil change kits come with everything you need to change your own oil.
Kit includes, Oil, filter, Disposable funnel and the lined Eco-Friendly shipping box doubles as an oil drain pan.
All of our kits are shipped with the direct OE fit replacement filter and the exact spec and quantity of oil recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.
All kits available in full synthetic, semi-synthetic and conventional grades of motor oil."

The "catch box" has to be filled with absorbent material.
...then people throw that oily box into the trash? That is just plain illegal.
And it's immoral and stupid.

You could buy a jug of almost any syn oil and an Ultra and throw away your drain pan at each OCI and not spend $40.00.
For half of forty bucks, you could have someone do the deed for you if you're okay with an unknown oil and filter.
This looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Originally Posted By: Kira

I did some online searching and there is a company called Kafco that makes something call "Oil Eater Oil Change Box." It appears, from some quick searching that if the absorbent material in the box holds all the oil without any of it being "free flowing" that it is legal to dispose of it in a landfill. Whether or not it is really good to do so could be open to debate.

Originally Posted By: Kira

The description and picture says lined. But The "lined" box means they just include a heavy duty plastic bag.

I do agree though they gloss over you're stuck with a cardboard box that has a plastic bag filled with 5qts of used motor oil at the end..

I think the analogy is home cooking recipe business model , where your recipe for would have like half a carrot wrapped for you or 1 teaspoon of a spice. But oil changes aren't like recipes where you need small portions of specific varied things and each recipe is a different adventure and learning experience . Once you've done an oil change one time, you got it, and aren't going to do it differently next time.

This has to be a joke. How does the box double as a drain pan? The only vehicle you could slide that box under would be a bro truck. And then you take the trash bag full of oil to Autozone?

61aXhGyIspL._SL1000_.jpg

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This has to be a joke. How does the box double as a drain pan? The only vehicle you could slide that box under would be a bro truck. And then you take the trash bag full of oil to Autozone?

61aXhGyIspL._SL1000_.jpg

Hahaha guess so

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The only vehicle you could slide that box under would be a bro truck.

If the average American can get under the vehicle, then the box can too!

I used to buy oil change kits for my VW, off a VW niche site. Brand names for every bit; would buy all my car parts there too. One stop shopping, practically. Been a bit miffed that I haven't found quite the same support for my Toyota's, apparently the typical Toyota owner is a bit less anal about proper parts and fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back