Should I ship my winter tires to Portland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 options: leave my winter tires back home in MN and see if I can get my lazy [censored] to sell them (they would realistically probably just sit around for years and years), or I can ship them out to Portland and put them on.

I haven't driven into the foothills or over the mountains since I came here, but I do go as far as Sandy somewhat regularly. I'm not sure if that's close enough to the mountains to have significant snow. I could see myself maybe going to Hood once in a while to ski if I can also get my lazy self to bring my skis out here.

Those are possibly a couple good arguments for bringing them out here, but at the same time... I'm in/around Portland 98% of the time, is it really worth it to put the tires on and then have to take them off again in a couple months when it starts warming up? Back in MN you could probably put them on beginning of Nov, and go through April, but from what I see, the weather here maaaaaaaybe on a bad year would have them on for 3 months, and you'd only make serious use of the tires a few days each year.

Ship tires out here, or sell them and just bring chains to use on my all seasons when I have to go to the mountains?

Might be able to bring them back free on a flight soon actually. Otherwise probably $100 to ship a set.

What size? Maybe a member here could use them here in the land of 10,000 taxes, where we pay for the privilege of freezing for 6 months of the year and road construction the rest:)
Sell em an buy a set of chains

Last edited:
How much would you expect to get from them?

A) Miles driven
B) Dollars if sold

Seems it would be hard to recoup their value if they are worn very much.

You are spending the value of a tire to ship them. How much to have them mounted, the cost of another tire?

Maybe the best option is have your lazy (friend, brother, you?) sell them and split the money with them.

"How much snow does Portland Oregon get?

Snowfall is 3 inches. The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 154. On average, there are 144 sunny days per year in Portland, Oregon. "

That tells me to leave those tires behind. An A/S tire should be pretty capable. Sandy, OR gets 2 inches of snow and 64 inches of rain annually. Seems to me you'd better have some good rain tires.

I'd bring them west. You can get a fair amount of snow out Bend way, or going up/down Old 99. Near the coast less, but more freezing ice on bridges and in dark corners that do not see sunlight during the day. Going east out the river you'll use them too.

If you're going to Hood for skiing, it's definitely a good idea. Ditto Bachelor or Rainier. And coming south to Calif on I-5, you will want them from Ashland south to Shasta City ...

You have wheels and tires? Already mounted? That's a no brainer to me. You can't duplicate them for any sort of reasonable $$ out here ...

Plus they work well with cinders on the icy roads. And they keep miles off your good summer tires when things can get dicey (slow slide into a curb - cut down summer tire ...).

Last edited:
2012 Subaru Impreza

They have TPMS sensors but to use them, you'd need to make sure your car has the same frequency. Believe the ones in the wheels are 315MHz

Don't drive a Subaru but I do remember the work it took for my friend to round up 4 wheels for snows for his '01 Forester.

I'd bet you could EASILY sell 'em to a Subaru owner who was looking to do the same.

What to do with the street rubber? Man, if I was nearer I'd make an offer. Kira

Should be a very easy sell on CL right now. I had a new set of tires mounted on Sunday and there was a 3 day wait in line to get them mounted. More snow and cold weather coming next week so if you have the intention of moving them now is the time.

Sell em. Right price and posted on craigslist or facebook sales group and they'll sell fast right now. Everyone who has marginal tires is looking - right now.

Sold the over 1/2 worn set of snow tires off my previous F150 in just over a day with multiple serious inquiries. Same the last time I sold a set of snows for an Explorer just as the season started.
Hit while the timing is right...

If you don't go past Sandy or go into the mountains then you won't need them. But then I say this and we will end up getting s huge snow like we did a couple of years ago.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back