Anyone Running Ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very pleased with the latest 16.04 LTS version. Things work like they should with minimal fuss. Basic SSD makes it very fast, and Chrome by default does hardware acceleration with the $40 GT 610.

s49YZSK.png

7kdcjhC.png

My 12 year old granddaughter took a Windows desktop machine, wiped the hard drive and installed 16. Kids today are starting early.

Yup, running 16.04 LTS on my little Intel NUC media server. No issues and stable. The only one time I had issues was when I upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04... some of my media server apps quit working and had to be reinstalled.

You should install chrome using the google install package and not the ubuntu repositories if you want flash support etc.

The google installer will modify your package repos so you also get updates from google.

Funny that software management and updates are easier than the most widely used desktop OS.

Last edited:
16.04 over here, as well as about 15 friends, family and neighbours I've coaxed into it.

There are lots of *buntu and Mint users here, as well... There is also, to my recollection, at least one misguided individual who torments himself with Gentoo.

I'm using 16.04 and have used Ubuntu since version 8-something. A couple of days ago, I had my very first Ubuntu glitch ever. There was an upgrade that wouldn't allow my computer to get past the log-in stage. I had to delete some Nvidia drivers to allow it to boot.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
You should install chrome using the google install package and not the ubuntu repositories if you want flash support etc.

The google installer will modify your package repos so you also get updates from google.

If you do go the Chromium route from the repositories you can replicate Chrome's feature set by installing Pepper Flash and a PDF package whose name escapes me at present.

I think, too, that a new Chrome might show up a day or two ahead of the respective Chromium package.

Im a big fan of Ubuntu for Linux newbies. My old German buddy has it on his home computer and just loves it. Every once and a while I go out and update him to the latest LTS release. My personal favourite is RHEL, as that's what I deal with for our PACS servers and while I cut my teeth on Slackware, my distro of choice was predominantly RedHat once it appeared on the scene and I spent probably close to a decade flopping between it and various BSD's on my computers while in high school and University.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My personal favourite is RHEL,

I have thought, in the past, of setting up those who trust me to do such things on CentOS; but man does that OS, as a desktop ever get obsolete quickly. They also seem to have a policy of not updating applications much so I worry about applications getting borked when a 3rd party API changes and I cannot get an updated binary. Also, RHEL/ CentOS are going to be both a bit behind the game supporting drivers for newer hardware and a bit more of a pain to get codecs. Otherwise, I would hop on it in a heartbeat.

The first example of my above points that pops into my head would be a friend of mine who might get a new-ish iThingy or Android phone or some such thing. Perhaps the newest music player or photo manager or GNOME or KDE library can interface with these devices; but they are not supported in RHEL/ CentOS. Then I'd have to look at Fedora (with its 9-month support and constantly-changing UI) and all of a sudden *buntu/ Mint's LTS becomes a no-brainer.

Yup, that's some sound logic
thumbsup2.gif
My use of RHEL is on headless servers, so GUI support and everything that goes along with that is irrelevant
wink.gif
For a desktop install, Ubuntu is a great choice.

My use of RHEL is on headless servers, so GUI support and everything that goes along with that is irrelevant
wink.gif

[off-topic]
isn'it nice when those can run for years in the corner of a room, even relegated to coffee maker shelf and still go month after month no trouble?
[/off-topic]

Ubuntu 12.04 was the first Linux for my girlfriend's and my computer. Old hardware gave problems when 14.04 came out. Presently running Mint 17.3 on a replacement machine and Peppermint 7 on my original. Moved from Peppermint to Lubuntu on her elderly nine year old Toshiba laptop and I've been very impressed by how fast Lubuntu runs on old equipment. Not very pretty, but seems faster than Mint on a much older computer. Also have installed Xubuntu, but right now Lubuntu's my favorite flavor. Carry Lubuntu and Mint around with me on thumb drives and have done lots of installs for friends with old Windows machines, I am the Johnny Appleseed of Linux. But it was Ubuntu that gave me my start. Nothing against Unity,,especially on newer computers.

Originally Posted By: csandste
Ubuntu 12.04 was the first Linux for my girlfriend's and my computer. Old hardware gave problems when 14.04 came out. Presently running Mint 17.3 on a replacement machine and Peppermint 7 on my original. Moved from Peppermint to Lubuntu on her elderly nine year old Toshiba laptop and I've been very impressed by how fast Lubuntu runs on old equipment. Not very pretty, but seems faster than Mint on a much older computer. Also have installed Xubuntu, but right now Lubuntu's my favorite flavor. Carry Lubuntu and Mint around with me on thumb drives and have done lots of installs for friends with old Windows machines, I am the Johnny Appleseed of Linux. But it was Ubuntu that gave me my start. Nothing against Unity,,especially on newer computers.

Most of the newer/ bigger Desktops (Unity, Cinnamon, Gnome, KDE Plasma) require a lot of graphics horsepower for the 3D compositing for their whiz-bang graphics. Desktops like XFCE, LXDE and MATE do not require 3D compositing and will run a **lot** better on older hardware.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
wink.gif

[off-topic]
isn'it nice when those can run for years in the corner of a room, even relegated to coffee maker shelf and still go month after month no trouble?
[/off-topic]

Oh yes, LOL! I discovered an old DELL PACS caching server at one of our remote sites, it wasn't even in the loop anymore, but its uptime was 7 years, LMAO!!!
grin.gif

I have Ubuntu 14 on a SSD and Ubuntu 16.04.1 on one of my hard drives. So far I'm really not seeing any difference between the two. My thought was to try 16 on the hard drive and then after a while install 16 on the SSD, but I'm not seeing anything compelling my "upgrade" the SSD from 14 to 16. That and if it matters I am using a radeon 3000 video that's built into my MB which supposedly doesn't work in Ubuntu 16 (maybe it doesn't work good if playing games??).

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I have Ubuntu 14 on a SSD and Ubuntu 16.04.1 on one of my hard drives. So far I'm really not seeing any difference between the two. My thought was to try 16 on the hard drive and then after a while install 16 on the SSD, but I'm not seeing anything compelling my "upgrade" the SSD from 14 to 16. That and if it matters I am using a radeon 3000 video that's built into my MB which supposedly doesn't work in Ubuntu 16 (maybe it doesn't work good if playing games??).

Canonical is putting all of their efforts into developing their cloud and phone; the latter using a complete overhaul of the user interface, Unity. There have been only incremental steps forward taken with the desktop for a while, now.

It is not entirely correct to say that the Radeon wouldn't work under 16.04. Canonical simply dropped the proprietary ATI/ AMD drivers from their repositories, using the open source variant instead. This was done, I believe, because they felt the open source driver was capable. I believe that you can still install proprietary drivers manually (they simply do not appear as options to install trivially via Ubuntu's "Proprietary Drivers" dialogue any more).

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: csandste

Most of the newer/ bigger Desktops (Unity, Cinnamon, Gnome, KDE Plasma) require a lot of graphics horsepower for the 3D compositing for their whiz-bang graphics. Desktops like XFCE, LXDE and MATE do not require 3D compositing and will run a **lot** better on older hardware.

Have ditched my girlfriend's Lubuntu for Ubuntu Mate. Most of the speed with a lot more polish, and I think it might be my new favorite distro. Thinking seriously about switching my Linux Mint 17.3 for Ubuntu Mate 16.04.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back