Hey, has anyone seen Castrols' new bio synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this has been already discussed, please excuse me. Beginning in 2017, there's a new Castrol Edge coming that is 25% plant derived in flavors 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30. Swing by castrolusa.com and check it out.
Comments or observations ?

Quote:
The fuel economy attributes of Biosynthetic Base Oil are demonstrated by the results of a recent Mercedes Benz M111 Fuel Economy Test in which a Biosynthetic SAE 5W-30 motor oil formulation achieved a 3.05% fuel economy gain compared to the industry reference oil.

They should go 75% plant based, never a fan of Castrol(yesterdays oil that sludge's up motors) However I might try this because I'm a hypermiler.

Last edited:
Bio synthetics?

GET was successful only in giving G-Oil away.
RLI offers a number of such oils at fairly high prices.
It'll be interesting to see this Castrol product on the shelves at Walmart and maybe to try it if it's offered with a good introductory promotional deal.
I wonder what the reference oil used in DB's fuel economy tests was? A higher HTHS reference oil would account for much of the difference in fuel economy, although 3%+ is huge.

RLI is fairly inexpensive I think. Their shipping is fair and its usually cheaper to buy direct.
That said anybody who sells 4 qt-1 gallon jugs are screwing themselves. just to change oil on a 5 qt engine I have to buy 2 gallons. That is the issue and very poor marketing IMHO...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Bio synthetics?

GET was successful only in giving G-Oil away.
RLI offers a number of such oils at fairly high prices.
It'll be interesting to see this Castrol product on the shelves at Walmart and maybe to try it if it's offered with a good introductory promotional deal.
I wonder what the reference oil used in DB's fuel economy tests was? A higher HTHS reference oil would account for much of the difference in fuel economy, although 3%+ is huge.

Vern,
Just about everybody's old oil sludged up engines.
QS, Valvoline, WH,and on and on. I wouldn't condemn Castrol for that.....

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Quote:
The fuel economy attributes of Biosynthetic Base Oil are demonstrated by the results of a recent Mercedes Benz M111 Fuel Economy Test in which a Biosynthetic SAE 5W-30 motor oil formulation achieved a 3.05% fuel economy gain compared to the industry reference oil.

They should go 75% plant based, never a fan of Castrol(yesterdays oil that sludge's up motors) However I might try this because I'm a hypermiler.

WMH_CASTROL_EDGE_BIOSYNTHETIC_PACKAGING.jpg

CASTROL BIO-SYNTHETIC

That picture:
Quote:
With TITANIUM technology

I expect good wear numbers from this new oil! I like Ti, that is why I use Kendall GT-1.

I want to see a UOA.

Last edited:
A little off topic but Castrol related. All of Castrol's synthetics contain titanium. Does Castrol High Mileage (since it's a synthetic blend) contain titanium as well?

Since you mentioned it
smile.gif

What exactly is Titanium proven to do for my engine?
Not theory but what does the additive do that no other does?

Magnatec FS oils do not say Titanium on the label

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
A little off topic but Castrol related. All of Castrol's synthetics contain titanium. Does Castrol High Mileage (since it's a synthetic blend) contain titanium as well?

Brazil and Argentina would love to send excess ethanol north and the price could not be better. But the corn lobby (ADM) is in the way of "Cheap Imported Ethanol"... Looks like this is a way to use some of that capacity in So America to get around the politics.

Anyway you can keep oil in the ground is good from an environmental air pollution perspective. Using plant based systems means it's just the same carbon going round and round in the system. Air -> Plant -> Refiner -> Customer -> Air ...

I was interested in G-Oil, but it got way to expensive. All these processes need to come down in cost and go up in scale ...

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Since you mentioned it
smile.gif

Not theory but what does the additive do that no other does?

Magnatec FS oils do not say Titanium on the label

Look like we're wondering the same thing. If Castrol Edge is advertised to contain titanium as an ant-wear,does Magnatec and High Mileage contain titanium as well. And if not,why not,since they are full synthetic and synthetic blends.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Castrol claims:

3x's stronger against viscosity breakdown against leading synthetic oils.

The question is if that metric is really the critical one...

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Castrol claims:

3x's stronger against viscosity breakdown against leading synthetic oils.

That was also the slogan on their GTX's front labels in the 90s.

I would have real world concerns with it with extreme cold temperatures. Given high % biodiesels increased risk of gelling , I'd be interested to see how they combat that in motor oil. If they've figure that out, I dont see much downside if its at a reasonable price and made with WASTE resources only primarily.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Since you mentioned it
smile.gif

Not sure about engines but titanium has given my knees a new lease on life. The only down side is I now have "knee joint slap", kind of like piston slap
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back