2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Turbo Cayenne. Four days later, the oil light came on and I saw blue smoke. I added 2 quarts of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck formula 5W-40. I believe the last OCI was done nearly 9000 miles ago, with Total Syn 0W-40, as shown on the windshield sticker.

I have a scheduled oil change next week. I still get some smoke at startup. It goes away after a minute. I have a strong feeling the Total Syn has sheared badly... that it gets burned. Since buying I have added 4 quarts of oil. The last 2 quarts was German Castrol Edge 0W-40.

Should I do a clean fill of Castrol Edge 5W-40 or should I try a 50-weight oil? I'm thinking Mobil 1 10W-50 or Castrol Edge 05W-50. Thoughts? I live in Southern CA and the SUV has 93,000 miles. I'm suspecting the piston tolerances are loose at cold start and then comes to spec, once reaching operating temp. The exhaust has no soot or odor once warmed up. The engine doesn't feel tired and pulls hard at full boost still.

TIA

Last edited:
9k miles it's probably due for a change. On a high performance turbocharged engine like that I would keep OCIs to 5-6k personally.

I would stick with the 0w40. M1 would be my preference

Last edited:
I'd start with the recommended oil for a full oil change and monitor. Either way most manufacturers allow up to a quart of consumption every 1k or thereabouts, so you won't get anyone to tell you it's not normal.

I would dump the oil and filter ASAP and fill up with a good cleaner oil like M1. Use the Mobil oil finder page to figure out which exact spec and viscosity range you should be using.
Not sure how easy it is to drop the sump pan and clean the oil pump intake screen, but that is a real good move even if you can do a pre OCI idle flush to make sure the block is clean.

High oil consumption can also be caused by a blocked crank case vent (Google balloon test) if the oil used was low in detergents or used for too long.

Finally if you have bought a sludge monster, take some pic's to post here and to the previous abuser. If he or she has not run off, try and get your money back, as the turbo bearings and rings will probably be damaged already.

Cut the OCI to 5000 miles or even 3000 miles if you are city based or short trip a lot AND use the best correct type of fuel listed in the owners handbook.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd start with the recommended oil for a full oil change and monitor. Either way most manufacturers allow up to a quart of consumption every 1k or thereabouts, so you won't get anyone to tell you it's not normal.

It's not normal!

Originally Posted By: dilberto88
I recently bought a Turbo Cayenne. Four days later, the oil light came on and I saw blue smoke. I added 2 quarts of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck formula 5W-40. I believe the last OCI was done nearly 9000 miles ago, with Total Syn 0W-40, as shown on the windshield sticker.

I have a scheduled oil change next week. I still get some smoke at startup. It goes away after a minute. I have a strong feeling the Total Syn has sheared badly... that it gets burned. Since buying I have added 4 quarts of oil. The last 2 quarts was German Castrol Edge 0W-40.

Should I do a clean fill of Castrol Edge 5W-40 or should I try a 50-weight oil? I'm thinking Mobil 1 10W-50 or Castrol Edge 05W-50. Thoughts? I live in Southern CA and the SUV has 93,000 miles. I'm suspecting the piston tolerances are loose at cold start and then comes to spec, once reaching operating temp. The exhaust has no soot or odor once warmed up. The engine doesn't feel tired and pulls hard at full boost still.

TIA

Change the oil ASAP. Have no idea what the specs are but I'm already thinking Rotella...

You don't mention over how many miles you have added the 4 quarts of oil.

Or why you added 2 quarts when only 1 is required when the add oil light comes on.

I suspect you are overfilled and have a turbo seal starting to go, maybe a PCV issue, but I'm not sure without knowing how often you actually add oil. Consumption on the Turbo models can be quite high to begin witb.

Total 0W-40 is a good oil, on par with other Euro oils. I would use Castrol 0W-40 for your next change and note how often you actually need to add oil and under what conditions you see the smoke.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You don't mention over how many miles you have added the 4 quarts of oil.

Or why you added 2 quarts when only 1 is required when the add oil light comes on.

I suspect you are overfilled and have a turbo seal starting to go, maybe a PCV issue, but I'm not sure without knowing how often you actually add oil. Consumption on the Turbo models can be quite high to begin witb.

Total 0W-40 is a good oil, on par with other Euro oils. I would use Castrol 0W-40 for your next change and note how often you actually need to add oil and under what conditions you see the smoke.

300 miles, was when the oil light came on. Yes, I may have overfilled by 1/2 quart that first time.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Mobil 1 HM 10w-40 or 15w-50, Castrol Edge 10w-40 HM

Although these don't carry a Porsche spec, I'd run either for 5k oci.

Service the pcv system as well, as suggested...

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Mobil 1 HM 10w-40 or 15w-50, Castrol Edge 10w-40 HM

This. Mobil 1, or another, 5W-50 might be okay for colder operation...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
What does it look like under the oil fill cap? Take pics of the underside of the cap and inside the valve cover if you can

Cap looks good inside - no froth or coffee color at all. The car leaks not a single drop of oil... it just burns oil like a mofo.

Jetronic - the oil fill light came on. Indicator means 1.6 quarts is needed. I added 2 quarts, as the dipstick was well below the MIN mark. Top-off resulted in level a tick above MAX. In 125 miles, level again dropped to just above MIN mark.

Last edited:
What does it look like under the oil fill cap? Take pics of the underside of the cap and inside the valve cover if you can

Cap looks good inside - no froth or coffee color at all. The car leaks not a single drop of oil... it just burns oil like a mofo...
how many miles on the Porsche?Was the vehicle maintained.

Such loud barking, and all up the wrong tree. Suggesting thicker oil when he burns a quart in 300 miles?

Thicker oil will not help. Something like Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver may prolong the inevitable, but I reccomend you take the vehicle to a Porsche Certified repair shop for a proper diagnosis.

There is no cheap way through this. You have a failing PCV, turbo seal, valve stem seal, or ring failure...

Exactly when do you see the smoke? Start up, full throttle, or constantly?

Originally Posted By: CT8

Cap looks good inside - no froth or coffee color at all. The car leaks not a single drop of oil... it just burns oil like a mofo...
how many miles on the Porsche? Was the vehicle maintained.

Carfax indicated all work was done by Porsche $tealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back