Just purchased a 2017 Nissan Armada AWD. 1st OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hit 1k miles & wanna get the break-in oil & filter out. Not sure how I feel about running 0W-20 as per what the manual states. I've researched previous Nissan/Infinity manuals & this Armada has the same motor & drivetrain as the 2011-2013 Infinity QX56 & 2014-2017 QX80 (Infinity changed the name, same vehicle). All are the same since 2011 based on the Global Nissan Patrol. All the previous manuals from 2011-2015 recommend 5W-30. The 2016 manual states using 0W20. What gives? Is this just for better gas mileage readings? Wouldn't the 5W30 protect better?

Follow your owners manual while under warranty. After that go wild.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. They are trying to get better mpg.

And if you can get slightly better MPG and get the same wear protection (I would say better due to the high quality of most 0w20s available) then why wouldn't you?

Just run the first OC to the specified intervals, use your free OC's up, then after that use any name brand 0w20 until you're sick of driving it.

Same engine, same oiling system? Obviously safe to run 5w30.

I'm in the start of a thick vs thin test with UOAs....you could do your own once it is broken in, leaving no doubt.

Ok thanks for the quick replies folks
smile.gif
I just bought 2 jugs of Valvoline full syn 0W-20 & a SuperTech ST9688 oil filter.

Last edited:
Don't forget to change the AWD fluids, especially that transfer case. AWD systems are more likely to get you towed than an engine failure.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Don't forget to change the AWD fluids, especially that transfer case. AWD systems are more likely to get you towed than an engine failure.

For sure!

Our 2015 Murano specs 0W20 but the manual states that 5W30 conventional can be used as an alternative.

Does your manual mention an alternative in the event 0W20 is not available?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

If you need AWD, get a Subaru. Nobody compares.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Don't dump the oil yet. Too soon. Let the break in oil actually work.
What exactly is break in oil and what work does it do?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Could be a small change to the engine that you wouldn't necessarily know about such unless you talked to the engineer.

This could be right

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Our 2015 Murano specs 0W20 but the manual states that 5W30 conventional can be used as an alternative.

Does your manual mention an alternative in the event 0W20 is not available?

Didn't see anything as an alternative printed in my 2017 manual
frown.gif
The 2016 QX80 manual does state "5W-30 As an alternative"

Last edited:

I always thought to dump the oil right away due to any metal shavings from a new engine. I've read of some dumping new car oil even at 50-100 miles or 500 miles. What does everyone here recommend?

Originally Posted By: Nicasio

I always thought to dump the oil right away due to any metal shavings from a new engine. I've read of some dumping new car oil even at 50-100 miles or 500 miles. What does everyone here recommend?

Search.

What kind of metal shavings do you think you have floating in your engine? Giant pieces of thumbnail sized aluminum slag that you need to get out immediately? Soccer moms with the same armada just change it when they remember and still go 200k on the motor.

Follow the factory interval. If there were metal shavings in the motor that were going to cause problems unless you had ridiculous short oil change intervals the first 10k miles then the factory would recommend that.

Relax and enjoy the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back