Corvette UA0 with Redline 5w30: High Lead

Here is the newest bottle

You'll notice the "FS" on the bottle and no BMW anymore..

aZRpudI.jpg

Originally Posted By: jdavis

aZRpudI.jpg

So I have a partially used 5 gal jug just like above that has the "FS". So thats what I put in at this latest OCI. However, I also have a partly used 1 gal bottle that does not have the "FS". So all or some of the reports you see in my Blackstone had the "non-FS". I got all my oil from O'reilly or AutoZone so when ever this "FS" hit the market I assume I was using it from fresh store stocks.

When did this stuff come out?
I would never have noticed this if not brought to my attention here.

Now I have to worry that I have been using the old formula and only now have the FS in my motor and my results will turn to [censored] on next Blackstone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is different in the new formula ????? Can it be determined from my additives in my report????

DH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dirty_Howie

aZRpudI.jpg

So I have a partially used 5 gal jug just like above that has the "FS". So thats what I put in at this latest OCI. However, I also have a partly used 1 gal bottle that does not have the "FS". So all or some of the reports you see in my Blackstone had the "non-FS". I got all my oil from O'reilly or AutoZone so when ever this "FS" hit the market I assume I was using it from fresh store stocks.

Now I have to worry that I have been using the old formula and only now have the FS in my motor and my results will turn to [censored] on next Blackstone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is different in the new formula ????? Can it be determined from my additives in my report????

DH

Here is a long thread about it https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4015494/New_Mobil_1_FS_0w-40

I run this oil too, everything I've read, it should be just as good or better for our LS engines. You will find out soon though, everyone will be excited to get a comparison.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

aZRpudI.jpg

DH

Here is a long thread about it https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4015494/New_Mobil_1_FS_0w-40

I run this oil too, everything I've read, it should be just as good or better for our LS engines. You will find out soon though, everyone will be excited to get a comparison.

Well read some of that. Its mostly over my head. I see that the FS came out in Feb. Wish I had known about this then so I could have documented if I was using the old formulation or not. I'm hoping Mobil knows what they are doing and that the FS will work as good or better. But definitely I have the FS in there now.

DH

Originally Posted By: LubeLuke
Lead at 39ppm is not high.
When you get above 50 ppm then monitor. Above 100ppm indicates there MAY be a problem.
The same for Iron.

Twaddle, there is no real defined limit for Lead as it depends on the engine type, so the best thing is to compare it with the universal average figure. For most car engines that will be below 10 ppm.

The UOA seems to show high main bearing wear and I would be inclined to try a thicker oil to see if that helps. Magnesium compounds are used as an alternative to Calcium ones as a detergent additive, so that figure is not of real interest.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: LubeLuke
Lead at 39ppm is not high.
When you get above 50 ppm then monitor. Above 100ppm indicates there MAY be a problem.
The same for Iron.

Twaddle, there is no real defined limit for Lead as it depends on the engine type, so the best thing is to compare it with the universal average figure. For most car engines that will be below 10 ppm.

The UOA seems to show high main bearing wear and I would be inclined to try a thicker oil to see if that helps. Magnesium compounds are used as an alternative to Calcium ones as a detergent additive, so that figure is not of real interest.

Not sure if you read most of this thread or viewed my latest UOA. But I followed the advise of many members here and switched from Redline 5/30 to Mobil1 0/40. The soon as I did that my lead levels dropped and have continued to drop to actually slightly below the averages for lead.

DH

I see this topic keeps getting a lot of hits so I thought I would just give an update. I only have 2K miles on last oil change as I have been using my daughters car for a lot of daily driving while she was away at school. She will shortly return and I will then quickly get another 1K miles on and do another oil change. And of course I will post up the Blackstone at that time.

DH

I did not read the 14 pages but you changed from a 5w-30 to a 0w-40, would the Redline have also lowered the lead levels if you had went with their 0w-40 oil?

I hope you are using those lab reports to bash Redline because I have always had great results using Redline oils.

I hope you are NOT using those lab reports to bash Redline because I have always had great results using Redline oils.

Don't get so hung up on oil reports, millions upon millions of people never get a oil report and never have a problem.

I am not convinced Blackstone even understands their own lab reports because I have seen so much contradicting information in them with two different reports on the the same oil.

Originally Posted By: RedVic
I hope you are NOT using those lab reports to bash Redline because I have always had great results using Redline oils.

Don't get so hung up on oil reports, millions upon millions of people never get a oil report and never have a problem.

I am not convinced Blackstone even understands their own lab reports because I have seen so much contradicting information in them with two different reports on the the same oil.

Well my intention of this posting was not to bash anybody. Maybe you should read the 14 pages. I had worrisome lead levels and asked for advice here. I followed the advise of the clear majority and got a great documented and empirical result.

DH

Gives rise to the question - how often is the same specimen oil sent to two UOA labs ....?

Just did oil change and boxed up sample for Blackstone. Will be shipping on monday and posting results for those still interested. Been driving the beater a lot so took a while to get the 3K miles. There are 5 AutoX days on this OCI.

DH

Just did oil change and boxed up sample for Blackstone. Will be shipping on monday and posting results for those still interested. Been driving the beater a lot so took a while to get the 3K miles. There are 5 AutoX days on this OCI.

DH
I am waiting !!!

DH - I just want to say I really enjoyed running through this post today. Great to see a long run of a couple of oils and some good side-by-side comparisions. Thanks for taking the time and money to keep it going.

I was considering Red Line oil when I switch after a few runs with M1 (I'm also running a long-term comparison), but now I think I'll go with Schaeffers first.

Originally Posted By: Onug
DH - I just want to say I really enjoyed running through this post today. Great to see a long run of a couple of oils and some good side-by-side comparisions. Thanks for taking the time and money to keep it going.

I was considering Red Line oil when I switch after a few runs with M1 (I'm also running a long-term comparison), but now I think I'll go with Schaeffers first.

You are welcome buts its not really a big deal. I just hope this report is as good as the last one.

DH

Last edited:
Maybe Blackstone is busy but i got worried and called them yesterday. My report will be ready on Tuesday and I will post it the soon as it shows in my email box.

DH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: chrly919
What's wrong with using what GM specs; Mobil 1 5W30?

In the land of BiTOG, where every single PPM matters, other oils have consistently shown lower wear numbers in GM small-blocks. Red Line is not one of those, however.

Reline has been known to scour lead from engine nooks and crannies that were not cleaned and dispersed by previous oils.

I would do one more OCI with the 5W30. If lead doesn't go down, go up to 10W30 as suggested by others, as you may need a thicker oil film for this engine.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: chrly919
What's wrong with using what GM specs; Mobil 1 5W30?

In the land of BiTOG, where every single PPM matters, other oils have consistently shown lower wear numbers in GM small-blocks. Red Line is not one of those, however.

Reline has been known to scour lead from engine nooks and crannies that were not cleaned and dispersed by previous oils.

I would do one more OCI with the 5W30. If lead doesn't go down, go up to 10W30 as suggested by others, as you may need a thicker oil film for this engine.

Thanks for your input and you might be right. But as long as my reports come back good or even trending better I will be sticking with Mobil 0w40.

Lets see what the report shows on Tuesday. Let me know what you think.

DH

Okay here is the latest report. I can't believe that the lead dropped so much again. A year ago I was worried about bearings going out and now my motor seems be functioning excellently with good oil pressure too. It would be very hard to convince me at this point to change to a different oil as I don't think the results could be much better. Any input or advise is welcome. Thanks again for everybody's interest in this.

I guess you can see the new Mobil 0w40 formulation change as my zinc/phos levels have dropped with recent oil changes.

DH

Last edited:
Back