Gena, Where's The Ultra At?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it advertised, every body talks about, I can order it online at a couple places, sometimes, and the ads are irresistible, so how come almost no one can go to the local store and buy Pennzoil Platinum Ultra?

Why, Gena, why?

It's real, isn't it? Really real?

I would like to have a Blackstone Kit of 5w-30 Ultra for my '16 Impala Limited LTZ, yet I can't even find the oil.

Why you have no Ultra?

Im happy as Ultra is now on the shelves at Canadian Tire stores up here in Canada in 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30.
On sale for 31.89 here per 5 qt jug and 10$ MIR before Dec 31.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Perhaps she's tired of giving handouts.

It's been about a month now but I sent her a PM on here and asked to take part in the promotion. She responded quickly and was exceptionally helpful. The oil and analysis kit arrived within a week. I'm currently about 10,000 miles into a 10,000 mile runon Pennzoil Ultra Pure Plus in the Lexus.

It's not even about the promotion.

Ultra is the premier product offering, yet it is seemingly very, very rare in retail, and very spotty where it is found.

It's not common that you can't find the top product offering, which is touted as giving the best performance of a product line.

I've heard some claim it seemed to lead to greater oil usage, and so the user went back to Platinum and was content, with reduced oil usage. I'd like to be able test and experience this for myself to see my results.

But unless I order it and have it shipped, it seems to be hard or near impossible to find on a regular, able-to-get-it-when-you-need-it basis, and I read this from many, many others in online auto/motorsport enthusiast forums.

Walmart online or Amazon seem to have it, sometimes, but shipping my motor oil is not what I'd like to have to do to use the product.

I just can't figure out why I can't find it, in my desired viscosity, on a regular basis, at the retail level, because it's a put-off to taking the product serious enough to commit to regular use, and I have many vehicles.

I can walk into Walmart and buy all the Mobil 1 EP in 5W-30 I want, but I don't see Ultra, and if I do, it's one or two jugs in different viscosity. I have multiple 6 quart oil pans.

I don't understand how this can be so rare.

Last edited:
Yep - I'm done with PUP - going to use normal M1 and PP ... make it cheap enough to run only 5k in GDI - otherwise I'd wind up paying for UOA ...

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Perhaps she's tired of giving handouts.

It's been about a month now but I sent her a PM on here and asked to take part in the promotion. She responded quickly and was exceptionally helpful. The oil and analysis kit arrived within a week. I'm currently about 10,000 miles into a 10,000 mile runon Pennzoil Ultra Pure Plus in the Lexus.
+1. Ms. Fishbach responded quickly and courteously to my request for the oil and kit. Rec'd 6 1 quart bottles of ultra 0w-20 and the kit quickly. Pennzoil is at the top of my oil list due to this generous promo.

It is interesting to read what the FTC says about "sellers" who sell products below their cost in efforts to knock off the competition ... giving away oil IMO takes it to an all time low - to each his own ...

Last edited:
I just switched my Land Cruiser from Ultra to PP.

I was saddened when I had to do this. It is my oil of choice.

Walmart was the source. No more.

If the effort by Shell is to get folks to use Ultra, the lack of availability at retail isn't helping.

Honestly i think pennzoil is a great oil however if you can't find it easily why not just go for the Mobil 1 which is also a great oil and is sold everywhere.

Aside from maybe a touch better cleaning ability, I see no real advantage of Ultra over regular Platinum so I just stick with it. I'd happily run Ultra, but I won't run an oil that I can't find walking into my local O'Reilly's and buy off the shelf. I'm happy with Platinum, I know it's cleaning, protecting, and helping keep my engine happy, that's what matters to me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Honestly i think pennzoil is a great oil however if you can't find it easily why not just go for the Mobil 1 which is also a great oil and is sold everywhere.

You might have an issue finding Ultra in Wallymart, BUT it's always listed in Fleabay!

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

You might have an issue finding Ultra in Wallymart, BUT it's always listed in Fleabay!

It hits WMT online often. I saw a post here a week or so ago and grabbed another three 5 quart jugs shipped to the house for $19.99/jug. Not bad.

FWIW, I have used Mobil 1 EP for many years, in port fuel injection engines, changing the filter at 7k-ish, adding back to full, and changing about 14K.

Now that I have a GM 3.6 GDI, I have been alert to finding the best quality of oil to minimize valve deposits, and I have been more aware of claims by PP users, and interested in advertising claims of PUP by the company.

But I have only seen the odd jug or two once in a while in a viscosity I cannot use while in retail stores.

I am an avid Amazon Prime user, but I don't feel comfortable having to rely on shipping in all the oil for my needs; if I can't rely on solid availability in multiple sources, then I cannot confidently commit to using that product, period.

Having to often check to see if it available, then have it shipped to me, is not the tenuous supply chain that I can rely on.

I also am leery of very limited supplies effecting the pricing.

Perhaps the effort in providing kits to advertise the product should be coupled with an even greater effort to make the product more readily available.

Any info on this issue would be greatly appreciated by myself, and many other potential users too, I would guess.

Buy 6 jugs at a time off Amazon and you have at least 2 years to find replacement ...
laugh.gif

My stash is full of other stuff, so I won't order more right now. But if all the lubricating oil refiners dropped dead right now, I could change oil for years w/o running out.

That takes care of changing formulas and all for my stuff
smile.gif

Yeah - good stash - sky is not falling over PUP over here - and WM is loaded with good options ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back