Welcome to the Hyve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a couple of Hyve extensions for my wife's Shield on a black Friday special. Installed them tonight and am quite happy with the fit and finish--very nice. Increases the magazine from 8 to 10 capacity which makes her Shield 10+1 and gives me a full grip and a little extra for her. Though they have all colors--she was quite practical and wanted black to blend in with the pistol. Hyve also makes them for the Glock 43. Next week I will run a few hundred rounds of ammo through them to be sure they feed and function properly.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Do they come with a new spring, or is the old spring expected to be fine?
The old spring is re-used. It is incredibly hard to fit 8 rounds into the stock magazine so I am confident it will be fine--but I will test it just the same.

The 2 extra rounds are great but doesn't the extended grip defeat the purpose of the single stack concealable pistol? Unless it's a purse gun but it puts it out of the pocket pistol size for you?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
The 2 extra rounds are great but doesn't the extended grip defeat the purpose of the single stack concealable pistol? Unless it's a purse gun but it puts it out of the pocket pistol size for you?
It is not a pocket pistol, it was always a holster pistol for us.

Here I have to agree. If you want a pistol that holds a lot of ammunition, then simply buy one. Glock, S&W, Springfield, and FN all make them. To me it makes far more sense to purchase a Glock 19 or 26 and carry it as is, than it does to buy a single stack. Then turn right around and make the handle longer by trying to put more ammunition in it with longer magazines, extension sleeves, and all the other after market nonsense. It defeats the whole purpose of buying a single stack over a double in the same model. Either way you have to make do of a long handle sticking out, or a shorter, thicker one. The ammo takes up the same amount of room regardless.

I don't use anything other than single stack pistols simply because my hands are small and I get what fits me. I've had several double stackers in he past and they are now all gone. Additionally, many women prefer the single for the same reason. Another reason is weight; 15 rounds are great if you can comfortably carry it. Seven or 8 works best for me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460

Here I have to agree. If you want a pistol that holds a lot of ammunition, then simply buy one.

Yup.
Different strokes for different folks but for me and for most that are not really trained to get into a gunfight...6+1 is fine.

Geez guys, you would swear she is stuffing an AK into her pants. The grip is only 3/8" longer than my G19 and is shorter than a G17. Still easily concealable and with the side car option on the holster she can use the Hyve as the backup magazine while using the 8 round S&W as the primary.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I thought this thread was going to be about a regional grocery store chain.

Lol... So did I.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Geez guys, you would swear she is stuffing an AK into her pants. The grip is only 3/8" longer than my G19 and is shorter than a G17. Still easily concealable and with the side car option on the holster she can use the Hyve as the backup magazine while using the 8 round S&W as the primary.

Nah, it's just interesting when someone buys a small concealable pistol then makes it bigger to get more rounds in it. The thing that prints the most in a holster is the grip.

Al, the idea that 7 rounds is adequate for someone not trained up for a gunfight is interesting. I've been in condition red twice in the past 2 years while off the beaten path with my wife and dog. Both situations involved 2 potential threats and both defused because I backed us out to protect my wife. I realized later I was really thankful I wasn't carrying a pistol that held 6 or 7 rounds because it's more comfortable while hiking in the summer.

Nah, it's just interesting when someone buys a small concealable pistol then makes it bigger to get more rounds in it. The thing that prints the most in a holster is the grip.
It just depends. There is a video on the Dene Adams Official Facebook page showing Anna Taylor carrying 2 Sig Sauers (a P320 & a P238), 1 Glock 43, 1 CobraTec knife, and extra magazines. You could not tell she was carrying anything much less 3 pistols, magazines, and a knife. With the right holster the Shield will not print and as I said, she can always use the S&W 8 round as the primary and place the Hyve in the sidecar. Then again, she alternates with her G19 so no issues with concealability with either.

I can certainly see a use-case for this. The most frequent place I carry my Shield is to church. I don't want the weight of a full size gun (I never carried my full size M&P), but I can hide a Shield anywhere, with plenty of room to spare, because it's so THIN. If I can hide an extra half inch of length in the grip (and I certainly can, under my suit coat, especially with the right holster cant), and I can get an extra three rounds and add only a trivial amount of extra weight, I see the value in something like that.

Sure, there are other weapons that offer the same capacity in stock form (like a G26). But other weapons may not fit the hand or offer the ergonomics that one particular person might want. Maybe the Shield's grip is more comfortable. Maybe they just like Smith & Wesson. Who knows...and it doesn't matter. The take-away is being able to (presumably reliably) take more rounds with you in the gun you prefer.

I don't personally feel the desire to carry more than 7 or 8 rounds in my Shield, so I won't buy this. But I can certainly see the value in it if you do. We all do what we feel is right for our situation, whether it's carrying a stock Shield, a Hyve'd Shield, a Glock, a revolver, or even a Heizer PS1 or PAR1. There's something for everyone in this great nation of ours.

34.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
We all do what we feel is right for our situation,
34.gif

This. And it doesn't have to make sense to me or anyone else.

What to carry in church is food for thought. The probable situation is someone coming in one of the entrances and shooting the place up. You'd likely have to return fire from where you sit, from some distance. A compact low capacity pistol probably isn't the best tool for this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back