Castrol Edge and Edge HM info

Status
Not open for further replies.
quattro pete posted this VOA sample click here: castrol HM VOA sample

Thank you so much QP!!

It has the most complete modern additive anti wear and detergent package I have ever seen in my opinion.

I spoke with The same lab and got a nice guy to bend the rules and look at this sample with me

and he agreed it was just about the only sample he had seen with loads of moly.. "Probably trinuclear moly"

Calcium, boron and the TT titanium. it only takes a small amount of that stuff apparently. The TT process forms iron titanate inside your engine.

That is not hype about iron titanate... it is real and I think it lasts a long time...

After I did all of this research I learned that Christian von Koenigsegg of Koenigsegg automotive,

The most powerful production engine in the world, commissioned a team of engineers to test and find the best oil.

They chose edge. here is a short vid on it: Fastest production car in the world!!

Hope this helps contribute !! Thanks all..

Last edited:
He didn't pick the oil. A team of apparently very intelligent engineers did...
cool.gif

I used Edge HM on the most recent OCI on my parent's Prius - the car has seen M1 and PP for most of its life, they say the car has been running a little quieter than usual. If the oil consumption goes down, I'll be happy.

I have a gm 3.8l that was a bit sludged up and I had flushed it a bit with seafoam and several oil changes..

I put edge hm in for the winter and it really cleaned the gunk out of it.. 1200 miles. i was suprised.

so watch the dipstick, haha...

I have an 87 celica GTS and out of pennzoil and valvoline max I think edge hm was the "quietest too"

I wonder if pennzoil top shelf would have cleaned it as well in as short of a time...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jarad248
cool.gif

Yes, they did, and Porsche engineers picked mobil 1 ...$$$$

Castrol's Ti is proprietary and has a patent pending so I'd not throw the baby out with the bath water on that. It cost's money, if it did nothing I doubt they'd bother to put it in there.

Great looking add pack! Think I just found my next oil run.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
cool.gif

Yes, they did, and Porsche engineers picked mobil 1 ...$$$$

And Ferrari picked AGIP but now it's Shell and BMW used to pick Castrol but now.......it's whoever is paying for it

Bluestream is right. Those kinds of endorsement are about money and what kind of notoriety it can bring each brand. Lots of oils can meet the requirements of the motors produced by virtually all companies but timing, money and branding are what drive it.

Marketing is a funny thing. You can watch the train of thought of people sometimes be DIRECTLY influenced by it on BITOG.

"This oil is used by Ferrari so it must be good"

Sure, but your piece of [censored] 1990 Plymouth Acclaim doesn't car and still won't have a v12 after the oil change.

O.P. here: I am basing these comments on science and referring to probably the best engineers on the planet.

I understand marketing. that is not a factor of learning here.

The thing that struck the lab tech and I that did the VOA on the above original post is that this oil formulation has everything in it !!

Some oils like valvoline have nothing in them. some sodium... and it is good oil too..

I wanted to know what the best "modern" oil formula looks like currently.

I want my $$ worth.

I read an article which I should post here but for now paraphrasing it stated:

this new TT titanium formula, in about 500 miles will form a bond with iron that will last 50k.

It is the latest anti wear tech.

One thing everyone should appreciate is the trinuclear moly it contains. only needs a tiny bit of it. less than 100 ppm.

Last thing is the boron and calcium content. the numbers speak for themselves.

A tbn of 10...

The numbers are below. it is the only oil that lab tech. I spoke with on the phone said he had seen with evvverything in it!!

Get you $$ worth, haha thanks all, js
cool.gif

Castrol hm 10w40:

Silicon 5.4
Potassium 2.2
Water (%)
Boron 370
Barium 0.0
Calcium 3097
Magnesium 10
Molybdenum 75
Sodium 2.8
Phosphorus 700
Sulfur 3068
Zinc 738
Visc@40°C 91.52 cSt
Visc@100°C 14.6 cSt
Visc Index 166
Oxidation --- ---
TAN 1.62
TBN 10.0

Iron 1.2
Nickel 0.5
Chromium 0.1
Titanium 14
Copper 0.0
Aluminum 2.8
Tin 0.0
Lead 0.0

Last edited:
I only wish Edge 10W40 (regular and/or HM) was easier to find. It's like Pennzoil Ultra,NO one has it,except the rip off artists O'Reilly @ $10 a quart. They can keep it at that price. Why won't Walmart sell it I wonder? Back when Walmart sold the regular 10W40 Edge in 5 quart jugs it sold out on a regular basis,they always had to keep reordering and restocking it.

Some oils like valvoline have nothing in them.

Modern oil chemistry is such that it does not necessarily reveal itself on a $30 VOA, but that does not mean that such oils "have nothing in them."

Sure lots of marketing around now days, I agree. But not everything is pure marketing, I believe BMW Racing and Castrol have a decades long history of mutual development for endurance racing. Doug Hillary was part of the Castrol team I believe and spoke about it in some posts.

OP, looks like a great oil. Wish we got it here.

Found It !!!
From this Castrol TWS 10W-60 thread
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2988455

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Yes I was involved with this product very early in its life - late 1960s. It was really a road going version of the famous Shell R30 and R40 easter based racing lubricants. My family used these in racing motorcycle. I was involved in my Career training with Castrol via BMC

The road going version was Castrol Formula R Synthetic - rated API SE. It had a 15w-50 viscosity, was red in colour and of course emitted the beautiful castor based odour in use

In the 1970s and 1980s I used/field tested the probuct in many diesel and petrol engines as it evolved and this involved hundreds of UOAs. I visited Japan, US and Europe to deal with various engine manufacturers and in the use of this product. In some small high speed diesel engines (Kubota,Isuzu etc) we ran up to 3000hrs without change

Two versions were later marketed - one "exclusively by BMW". I met with some BMW and Castrol engine/product development people at the Nurburgring a few years ago at a 24Hr event. They spoke so highly of the product it still amazes me. They also told me that the last of the German Castrol development team had recently died. They said that I was probably the last of that mob - wow............!

A great product in the correct application

Sounds like development, not marketing, to me. But, yes some other product & company relationships are probably more marketing based. Just saying they don't all have to be, some can be development and research based as well.

Last edited:
I asked The lab tech. the same thing as a "conspiracy theory" joke which we both laughed about,haha. He said no what you see is what you get.

I think any gas engine would be safe coming "down" to 5w30.

just remember don't go "up" if it calls for 20wt.

Your HM oils may be a little thicker.

16wt oil is the next step. it is right around the corner.

Over at 540ratblog some of the best oils he tested were 20wt as far as film strength goes.

Just remember thicker oil does not have may advantages over oil that flows faster.
cool.gif

Thanks for posting !!

I believe the 1st car to make it 1 million miles G book wr... used only castrol gtx

in my opinion it cleans very well... that was my experience.

Quaker State is knocking it out of the ball park as well at the minute I believe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back