Hello from Honda (new guy intro)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: robert_at_honda
The GC/GCV (diagonal split-block, OHC) are right at 20 years old now, and have plenty of product life cycle left. One of the main goals in their development was more shared parts (read: lower costs) and that has worked out quite well.

Earlier this summer, I combined a good GCV160 I had with a GC160 with a broken valvetrain. I was amazed that the GCV crankcase cover I had bolted right up to the GC cylinder assembly. You might be interested in reading my thread on it:

GC/GCV Combo

Everything came together in a precise fit, like it was meant to be. I am particularly impressed with the carburetor mounting boss on the cylinder head. I never knew why that port was square (with a plastic circle-to-square transition piece) until I started on my project. Rotate the assembly 90 degrees and the carburetor still mounts to it perfectly.

Brilliant.

Welcome to BITOG, Robert.

The only Honda outdoor power equipment I own is this sit down mower. Picked it up several years ago and at 188K, it still gets 32 combined MPG and over the last two years, the only work needed has been breaks and a battery (along with oil changes). Very reliable as you can tell. Even though its too bulky for all but the largest lawns, I just drive it to work and tell everyone its a subcompact.

Keep up the good work.

I have a 1988 HR214 Self-propelled mower that has begun to burn oil at start up. My research has shown me that the cast iron oil control ring tends to wear prematurely on these engines. This year I will tear the engine Down and replace the rings can you confirm that the oil control ring has been redesigned ? Would you recommend honing the bore? Any part numbers for the new rings are helpfull

Last edited:
Welcome Robert
wink.gif

My parents have a GC160 powered pressure washer, I use it twice a year or so. I haven't done any maintenance on it recently but I do plan on changing the oil as part of PM. Does Honda recommend fogging oil if I don't plan to fire it up on a regular basis to keep the cylinder from rusting?

I would like to see Honda use their engineering ability to bring to market :

A portable inverter generator that is diesel fueled. We would all be waiting in line to buy them, if they are available. This would be a cut above what Kubota offers.

Hi Robert. I've seen your name on other forums and you have been a great resource. In 2013 I purchased a Honda eu2000i. Soon after I bought it I came to realize the GX100 uses a OHC vs pushrod with other GX engines. A friend on mine told me I should have bought the Yamaha ef2000is because it uses pushrod which is more reliable he says. A side note, Honda makes the GSV190 with also uses a belt OHC and says it's for light commerical vs full commerical. Perhaps the OHC makes the eu2000i quieter than a pushrod design? Lastly my friend says the Yamaha has EPA emission life of 500 hours vs my 250 hrs labeled on my eu2000i so he says the inherent design, likely the pushrod makes the Yamaha twice as durable. Any feedback on this? I realize I asked a bunch of questions. I still think the Honda was a better choice than the Yamaha, but I don't know what to say to my friend in my defense of the Honda, lol. Thanks. Dave

Originally Posted By: Rab6715
Hi Robert. I've seen your name on other forums and you have been a great resource. In 2013 I purchased a Honda eu2000i. Soon after I bought it I came to realize the GX100 uses a OHC vs pushrod with other GX engines. A friend on mine told me I should have bought the Yamaha ef2000is because it uses pushrod which is more reliable he says. A side note, Honda makes the GSV190 with also uses a belt OHC and says it's for light commerical vs full commerical. Perhaps the OHC makes the eu2000i quieter than a pushrod design? Lastly my friend says the Yamaha has EPA emission life of 500 hours vs my 250 hrs labeled on my eu2000i so he says the inherent design, likely the pushrod makes the Yamaha twice as durable. Any feedback on this? I realize I asked a bunch of questions. I still think the Honda was a better choice than the Yamaha, but I don't know what to say to my friend in my defense of the Honda, lol. Thanks. Dave

Pushrod vs. OHC/Timing Belt: No doubt pushrod is a proven design, but OHC is lighter, quieter, and takes up less space. I've never seen a timing belt fail on any EU2000i. Some people use them 24/7 as a sole source of power, and put thousands of hours on them. Eventually might need rings, but no issue with the timing belt.

The emissions life is just that; emissions life. It says the manufacture expects the engine will comply with emissions for X hours of use. Some people take this to mean the *engine* will last longer, but that's simply not the case. Neither Yamaha or Honda warranty have any mention about hours or lifespan of a generator. Properly maintained, both the Yamaha and Honda should provide years of good service.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have a 1988 HR214 Self-propelled mower that has begun to burn oil at start up. My research has shown me that the cast iron oil control ring tends to wear prematurely on these engines. This year I will tear the engine Down and replace the rings can you confirm that the oil control ring has been redesigned ? Would you recommend honing the bore? Any part numbers for the new rings are helpfull

Complete parts look-up here:

Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Lookup

Originally Posted By: nthach
Does Honda recommend fogging oil if I don't plan to fire it up on a regular basis to keep the cylinder from rusting?

Yes, a teaspoon of oil through the spark plug hole, then a pull or two to close the valves. Done!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Hello Robert, what applications are the iGX engines used in? I see them in the engine catalog but haven't see one installed.

Honda's EM-series (4k, 5k and 6.5k) and EB (4k, 5k, 6.5k) use the iGX, as well as the top-of-the-line 2-stage snow blower, the hybrid HS1336is. I know of at least 3-4 pressure-washer manufactures that use the OEM version of the iGX too.

Complete parts look-up here:

Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Lookup

Thanks. Where can I find the serial number on this mower? I've looked all over...

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Is Honda ever going to make a larger v twin like in the 900cc range? It seams that Kohler and briggs have that market tied up.

While Honda could surely make an engine in that range, there is nothing on the horizon I can share with you right now. Market conditions, exchange rates, factory capacity, development resources, and of course competitor activity are are all factors that can push a product ahead or keep it on a back-burner.

Thanks. Where can I find the serial number on this mower? I've looked all over...

later_model_id.jpg

Only one tag on the whole mower...6097564..I assume its the serial number.

Only one tag on the whole mower...6097564..I assume its the serial number.

Is that on a Honda-branded label? Could you post a picture of it so we can see what it looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back