Four Cities to ban diesel vehicles by 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those cities have huge air pollution issues or sensitive archeology that is hard to clean or being eaten away by low pH rain. So makes sense for them. Others will follow...

Lots of forces at play here. Political ones are making monetary strategies more difficult for long term investments. Diesels can last decades in service. So buying one may not make sense. Maybe better to lease two years at a time until the dust settles ...

How do they plan on getting trucks in to deliver goods? Even small delivery vans are mostly diesel in Europe.

We are already running big buses off CNG - but it will be harder to make the needed torque in some cases.

Spent a month in Pordenone Italy; the diesel emissions caused constant headaches and were very noticeable when walking around town.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
We are already running big buses off CNG - but it will be harder to make the needed torque in some cases.
LNG has 115 octane.

Originally Posted By: CT8
LNG has 115 octane.

80,000 lb limits in the US , no problem for NG engines.
146,000 lb limits in Canada = big problem as no NG engine is certified past 80,000 lbs.

The heavy permit loads get evaluated ...
Ryder NG trucks look fairly light duty ...
It will get sorted and someone will have to pay ...
Hey, why not add yet another strange fee to rent cars ?

I have come to hate the smell of diesel engines. Strangely, the best emission controlled diesels have zero diesel smell, but they do have a distinct odor all their own, that I find objectionable also. Many of the new diesel trucks have that peculiar smell. If I can smell it, maybe it contains some compound that will be found to be unsafe.

However, full disclaimer, I drive a convertible with the top down, always.

Shwanns a ice cream and other goodies delivery service has single axle trucks converted to use propane. They hold some patents. Belize residents often convert thier pickups to propane as well as the payback I am told is less than a year as gasoline is pretty expensive.
There was someone adding propane boost to diesel buses and it reduced emisions drastically.

At least where I live, CNG is going the way of the Dodo.

Not only has the media demonised gas-powered buses (several serious bus fires), but the current fleet of vehicles have continuous issues with ignition system failure and turbo faults. The issues have been so bad these buses are set for a semi-early retirement in the next few years.
Earlier examples in the late 1980's and early 1990s were dogged particularly with performance issues (on-par with molasses, I'm told) and finicky mechanical gas systems that severely damaged many engines. Early computerised systems were still slow (lean burn).

Low floor examples from around 2003-2004 were far better, but still somewhat slow, being N/A. They have been reliable, however.

As I'm told, the newest CNG injection systems are far superior to what has gone before, such that "lean burn" is no longer necessary. Euro VI is met relatively easily, too.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have come to hate the smell of diesel engines. Strangely, the best emission controlled diesels have zero diesel smell, but they do have a distinct odor all their own, that I find objectionable also. Many of the new diesel trucks have that peculiar smell. If I can smell it, maybe it contains some compound that will be found to be unsafe.

However, full disclaimer, I drive a convertible with the top down, always.

I've noticed that, too. Any newer diesel truck smells awful. DEF fluid burning off?

There are Diesel engine that can burn somewhere around 90% CNg I was reading. They use just enough diesel to ignite the gas and burn more diesel at higher loads. I saw a semi tractor that had that setup the other day roll through town.

VW's gonna lobby Mexico City and Madrid to stop it - seeing how there is an assembly plant in Mexico and Spain. Only way I can see this happening is if a city is near a Toyota/Honda plant - while Toyota does sell diesels, Toyota is very hellbent on hybrids - the Prius is a de facto choice of cabbies, Uber drivers and municipalities. I wouldn't be surprised if CARB was lobbied by Toyota to delay VW's TDIs from being sold in California - it would be the only car that can compete against the almighty Prius(besides the Chevy Volt), Honda barely made a splash with the Civic Hybrid and Insight.

None of the public transit agencies adopted CNG around here - one agency is going to "clean diesel" after running CNG and gasoline-electric New Flyer buses powered by the Triton V10 and an ISE/Siemens parallel hybrid system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back