Post your winter tire/wheel setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Figured it might be fun to see what everybody is running this year
smile.gif
This is the first time we've run dedicated winter tires on an SUV, normally we've gotten away with running Michelin LTX M/S2's (and their predecessor) on our past vehicles (Expedition, Explorer) but decided to go dedicated winter rubber with the two new vehicles.

Durango:
18" OEM steelies w/Michelin Latitude X-ice Xi2

Grand Cherokee:
20" replica wheels w/Hankook iPike RW11

I'd put money on the Michelin tires being better on ice. The Hankook's will be better in snow.

My 02 Camry: Downsized to skinny Champiro ice pros in 195/65/15, new this year. The downsizing is cool b/c of the 95 load rating.

Wife's HHR is on the exact came tires on old 5x110 Saturn L series rims. HHR never came with 15" wheels but it turns out they clear the brakes just fine.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Serious coin on those SUVs. Does Canada require them so you equip your fleet with them?

Ontario doesn't currently, but I can see it doing so in the future. Quebec does, and I know it resulted in a decrease in winter accidents. I also receive a discount on my insurance for using winter tires, so there's that incentive as well. It is nowhere near enough to offset the purchase price, but it does add up.

Same AS tires we run all of the time.
Dedicated winters are really nice but only useful maybe four or five mornings each winter around here.
For the few times they'd actually be helpful here, rather than the dry or wet road impediment that they are full time for as long as they're mounted, I see no point in using them.
Wife, sons and I all learned to drive in snowy and icy Ohio, so we aren't all that worried about special tires for winter.
We've been there, done that and wear the tee shirt.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Quebec does

They require 3PMSF. Several A/T tires meet this nowadays, which gives a great year-round option if it fits your application.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Quebec does

They require 3PMSF. Several A/T tires meet this nowadays.

Yup, the snowflake designation. You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the bald junk we have folks rolling around on here in Ontario, particularly in and around the GTA. These are the folks sliding into others and ending up in the ditch.

A/S tires on front wheel drive. 45 years driving in southern New England snow and really never had a need for snow tires. The plows get out so quick these days you almost never see more than 2-3 inches of snow. If I lived in the back woods or less traveled roads it might be different. But, only 1/4 mile from major routes and 2 miles off the Interstate.

You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the bald junk we have folks rolling around on here in Ontario, particularly in and around the GTA

Not at all. Spent a bunch of time up there.

Same tires as summer. Altimax all seasons on the Camry. If more is needed we stay home. My first BMW got 4 cement blocks between the rear wheels and a steel shovel. When the governor goes on TV and advises unessentials to stay off the roads, I take the advice
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the bald junk we have folks rolling around on here in Ontario, particularly in and around the GTA

Not at all. Spent a bunch of time up there.

Then you know exactly what I'm talking about, LOL!
grin.gif

215/60HR16 on my Accord, which is a -2 fitment. Michelin Xi3 on a Moda 16x7.5" wheel. Third season and 25k miles and they're at about 8/32". The wider wheel and H speed rating helps them keep some responsiveness. Getting the beads to seat isn't fun but it's within the RMA guidelines.

I think you'll be surprised with the Michelin on snow. Everyone looks at the tread and says they will suck in deep snow but every independent test shows them as a leader, if not a contender. I ran Latitude Xi and Xi2 on my 2wd Rainier for years and they were great.

This year is the latest I've installed winter tires on 12/1. Looking at my records it's 2-3 weeks later than years past. 3rd warmest Nov. on record.

No pics but everyone knows what a Honda Accord looks like:)

Junkyard factory alloys with GT Radial Champiro IcePro. Will grab a picture tomorrow.

The Cherokee ... gets to sit the winter out.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Same setups that we ran last year. Altimax Arctic on the 530i and Hakka R2 on the Q5...

DSC_2608.jpg

DSC_6897.jpg

Great looking setups!
thumbsup2.gif

Got the General Altimax RT43s on my Camry, ready for winter! Also got 0w30 in there.

I suppose I can drive the 4x4 Jeep if it snows...

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back