Thoughts for your lottery winnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I knew what it cost to own/operate/maintain a 757... but I honestly have no idea.

The G650 is a purpose built machine and it performs incredibly well in that mission. It's impressive.

But this thread was about fantasy - and mine includes the romanticism of owning an airplane I once flew in line operations.

If the F-14s weren't all shredded at AMARC - then that would be an option for the fantasy, too...just one more flight in that airplane...that would be enough...

That G650 is absolutely awesome.

If it were my dream, and I couldn't justify that G650, I would want something with at least one radial that strains to spin over, spits out blue and white smoke, and then shakes like a big wet dog when it begins to start. Could be something as modest as a nice Staggerwing with a period excutive interior.

The better plan might be to invest some of the lottery winnings in real estate, make it really far flung, maybe even intercontinental, so you have a genuine business purpose for the airplane, emblazon your name on the plane and write off a little bit more for the advertsing. Of course using an airplane for tax purposes is a bit like waving a red cape in front of a bull. Expect audits.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

If the F-14s weren't all shredded at AMARC - then that would be an option for the fantasy, too...just one more flight in that airplane...that would be enough...

Well, given our landmark diplomatic breakthrough with the Iranians (cough) maybe there'll be a job for a grey beard IP!

What is the shortest legal runway a lightly loaded 757 could operate from? BFL and TO roll?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
That G650 is absolutely awesome.

If it were my dream, and I couldn't justify that G650, I would want something with at least one radial that strains to spin over, spits out blue and white smoke, and then shakes like a big wet dog when it begins to start.

Get yourself over to Conway where this Russian radial engined Waco is for sale. 415HP (stock is 300) and three bladed prop. I bet that thing shakes!

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1463699/2005-waco-ymf-5c

Wish I knew what it cost to own/operate/maintain a 757... but I honestly have no idea.

The G650 is a purpose built machine and it performs incredibly well in that mission. It's impressive.

But this thread was about fantasy - and mine includes the romanticism of owning an airplane I once flew in line operations.

Buy or rent one from Iran
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
If I win the lottery, a fighter jet or aerobatic aircraft is the last thing I would purchase.

Just an FYI, this monster is an amazing performer, with 10 second 1/4 mile acceleration it flat out sets you in the seat like the hand of God, it has amazing Mach 0.87 climb speeds, and Mach 0.93 max cruise speed. I have to tell you, I am beyond impressed with the G650 in our flight department:

g650-aerial04-1280x600.jpg

G650-SN-6076_Fwd_Interior11.jpg

And with an 8500 statute mile range, it will take you from the continental US, all the way to Sydney, Australia, nonstop.

The 650 is incredible indeed, but it requires a crew and ground support.

I'd go for something single pilot capable; perhaps a PC-12 or TBM-850. Fast enough and capable of operating in and out of just about anywhere.

Originally Posted By: maximus
If I win the lottery, a fighter jet or aerobatic aircraft is the last thing I would purchase.

Just an FYI, this monster is an amazing performer, with 10 second 1/4 mile acceleration it flat out sets you in the seat like the hand of God, it has amazing Mach 0.87 climb speeds, and Mach 0.93 max cruise speed. I have to tell you, I am beyond impressed with the G650 in our flight department:

And with an 8500 statute mile range, it will take you from the continental US, all the way to Sydney, Australia, nonstop.

I'd go for something single pilot capable; perhaps a PC-12 or TBM-850. Fast enough and capable of operating in and out of just about anywhere.
Bathroom? It has to have a bathroom or it is not on the list.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: maximus

Bathroom? It has to have a bathroom or it is not on the list.

And autopilot, of course
smile.gif
or the bathroom is useless in the air....

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I would prefer an aircraft with a bathroom. C130 or 747 Think big.

I already fly a plane with a bathroom. I want a fun plane.

Astro, how does the roll rate in the A-4/TA-4 compare to an F-14?

Roll rate in the A-4 was phenomenal - 720 degrees/second. Best I've ever flown. The F/A-18 was a close second at 540 degrees/second. The F-14's roll rate was a known limitation, about 180 degrees/second (slightly faster or slower, depending on wing position and airspeed).

The A-4 was a great flying airplane. Very honest. Good pitch control. Great roll response. But stable when you were off the controls. Precise and stable when landing or in a bombing run. Good high AOA handling, the leading edge slats gave it great slow speed characteristics, it would roll with rudder (preferred) or aileron at very low speed (80 KIAS).

I had a chance to fly the TA-4J as part of flight training. Got about 100 hours in it. Loved it. Had a chance to fly it a few times during an aggressor hop in Key West. Still loved it. Straightforward, easy to fly well, good power. It would be a great warbird to own.

I flew one from Meridian, MS to NAS Glenview (north of Chicago, long since decommissioned). Loitered at NAS Memphis on the way and flew six instrument approaches. With full drop tanks (an 8,000# load), it had the legs to fly about 1,000 miles with IFR fuel reserves. So, as a warbird, it had decent legs.

Thanks Astro!

I thought I remembered the A-4 having an absurd roll rate but I wasn't aware of the magnitude of difference between it and even the F-18! Additionally I wasn't aware that the F-14 roll rate was less than half as fast as the F-18. Great to hear your experience from flying it cross country!

The F-18 high alpha capability is absolutely incredible as demonstrated by the Blues high alpha pass and their low altitude entry into the split s. I know the F-14 even at the hands of an expert can be a handful at high AOA, but from a comparison sake how did the F-14 and A-4 compare at high AOA?

DeepFriar said:
No argument from me, the 650 is a RollsRoyce and built for a specific purpose which it does very well. One thing though, the published takeoff field length for the long range ER version, sea level-standard day is almost 6,400 feet. High-Hot, 5,000 ft. Elevation, ISA plus 25 degrees is over 11,000 feet of runway. I think I would be comfortable in operating a 757 on .....

As you know, all long range aircraft need to carry a lot of fuel to make that range. However, it's exceptionally rare to "top it off" as there are only a handful of city pairs that use that range.

So those numbers are only for max range.

Ah, but the long range was 'your' standard of comparison. You can't reverse field on me. But back to takeoffs.
grin.gif
In the interim I have found pilot reports of the 752 with a load out of 220 pax taking off in around 4,000 feet after a 12-13 second takeoff roll (85 degrees, sea level). Anybody who has been on a noise abatement max performance takeoff from John Wayne (me, many times, I still don't think they were safe!) would not argue the point. At any rate, and while stating again that it's not a knock on the 650, I would still take a 757 anywhere a 650 can operate from. It wouldn't be hangar flying without the differences now would it?
23.gif

slightly off topic (or on the current part), when I flew out of Melbourne the otehr week, the airport had nearly run out of fuel, so they were getting cancelled all over the place, and packing every flight full.

When we took off, it wasn't the familiar strong acceleration, just a gentle shove that went on and on and on.

Was that a fuel conserving strategy ?

It could easily have been. There are lower power settings that can be used if the data (temperatue, weight, density altitude and runway length) entered into the Flight Management System indicates it is safe to do so. Some airlines, and I have to believe most airlines, mandate exactly that. I have had a few times where the crew actually informed us they would be doing that sort of takeoff.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar

Ah, but the long range was 'your' standard of comparison. You can't reverse field on me. But back to takeoffs.
grin.gif
In the interim I have found pilot reports of the 752 with a load out of 220 pax taking off in around 4,000 feet after a 12-13 second takeoff roll (85 degrees, sea level). Anybody who has been on a noise abatement max performance takeoff from John Wayne (me, many times, I still don't think they were safe!) would not argue the point. At any rate, and while stating again that it's not a knock on the 650, I would still take a 757 anywhere a 650 can operate from. It wouldn't be hangar flying without the differences now would it?
23.gif

Hahahah, the race is on! I'll beat ya there! Also, remember the takeoff roll is rather short, it's the requirement for stopping an aborted takeoff that necessitates a long runway with a heavy G650.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
It could easily have been. There are lower power settings that can be used if the data (temperatue, weight, density altitude and runway length) entered into the Flight Management System indicates it is safe to do so. Some airlines, and I have to believe most airlines, mandate exactly that. I have had a few times where the crew actually informed us they would be doing that sort of takeoff.

All true except that the goal isn't fuel savings, it's engine reliability. If you de-rate the takeoff power (by entering an assumed air temperature in the FMS, which makes the engine control reduce the EPR), you reduce the EGT, bearing stress, and other key parameters from their peak values enough to make huge differences in long term engine wear and reliability.

Most engine failures happen on takeoff - as the result of several factors. Thermal stress is highest as the engine hasn't fully reached operating temperature after a few minutes of idling (in fact, we have a requirement to idle the engine for at least five minutes prior to takeoff power to allow the turbine blades and engine case to reach close to normal temperatures. If they're cold, you get excessive blade erosion and case erosion as the blade clearance is too high). High bypass turbofans make the most thrust at low speed, so the stress on the bearings is highest (and we have a minimum oil temperature for takeoff for that reason). Finally, the gyroscopic forces on the engine as the airplane rotates (from physics, you've got quite a rotating mass in the engine, and you're moving it through 15 degrees of angular change as the airplane rotates in a direction perpendicular to the plane of rotation) places the highest load on the bearings (and case and blades) of any phase of flight.

So, by de-rating the engines (by up to 25% of maximum thrust), you keep all these stresses, physical and thermal, well below their peak values, which greatly reduces the chance of engine failure and greatly improves engine life.

But it really doesn't save fuel, just money...
thumbsup2.gif

In fact, because of all this, there was a time when we had to have 8 minutes of warm up on the PW 4052/4060 series engines on the 767-300s. Because of ETOPS reliability requirements (of a specified mean time between failures) that the engines had to meet, we had to be extra careful of those engines to keep the failure rate within specifications. An extra failure or two across the fleet caused our numbers to be too high, so this extra caution brought them back down.

A bit of pain in places like LAX, or JFK, where we didn't always have 8 minutes of taxi time, and it caused lots of consternation with ATC...

Last edited:
I would prefer an aircraft with a bathroom. C130 or 747 Think big.

I already fly a plane with a bathroom. I want a fun plane.

Astro, how does the roll rate in the A-4/TA-4 compare to an F-14?

Roll rate in the A-4 was phenomenal - 720 degrees/second. Best I've ever flown. The F/A-18 was a close second at 540 degrees/second. The F-14's roll rate was a known limitation, about 180 degrees/second (slightly faster or slower, depending on wing position and airspeed).

The A-4 was a great flying airplane. Very honest. Good pitch control. Great roll response. But stable when you were off the controls. Precise and stable when landing or in a bombing run. Good high AOA handling, the leading edge slats gave it great slow speed characteristics, it would roll with rudder (preferred) or aileron at very low speed (80 KIAS).

I had a chance to fly the TA-4J as part of flight training. Got about 100 hours in it. Loved it. Had a chance to fly it a few times during an aggressor hop in Key West. Still loved it. Straightforward, easy to fly well, good power. It would be a great warbird to own.

I flew one from Meridian, MS to NAS Glenview (north of Chicago, long since decommissioned). Loitered at NAS Memphis on the way and flew six instrument approaches. With full drop tanks (an 8,000# load), it had the legs to fly about 1,000 miles with IFR fuel reserves. So, as a warbird, it had decent legs.

Thanks Astro!

I thought I remembered the A-4 having an absurd roll rate but I wasn't aware of the magnitude of difference between it and even the F-18! Additionally I wasn't aware that the F-14 roll rate was less than half as fast as the F-18. Great to hear your experience from flying it cross country!

The F-18 high alpha capability is absolutely incredible as demonstrated by the Blues high alpha pass and their low altitude entry into the split s. I know the F-14 even at the hands of an expert can be a handful at high AOA, but from a comparison sake how did the F-14 and A-4 compare at high AOA?

Well, Luke, I'll try...

The A-4 was pretty straightforward at high AOA. Lots of buffet. High induced drag. Modest roll rate that decreased to zero roll rate at very high AOA. At that point, you flew the airplane with rudder. The slatted delta wing was really quite good, and having conventional ailerons, elevator, and rudder made the high AOA characteristics benign and predictable. Single engine on centerline made control quite simple.

The Blue Angles flew the A-4 for a while and the show was great because they exploited the great handling of the airplane.

The F-14 was unique, and complex, at high AOA. This was due to widely spaced engines, the aerodynamics of the wide fuselage and "tunnel" between the engines, the use of both differential stabilizer and spoilers for roll, slats and slotted flaps for high lift on the wing.

You could fly it just as slow as the A-4, and it had (depending on engines) much better thrust/weight and energy addition, so it was a superior performer, with far higher top speed. It also had far better weapons, the A-4 didn't have a gun, or a radar, just the AIM-9, while the F-14 had a gun, AIM-9, AIM-7 and, of course, the AIM-54. You could kill an A-4 at 50 miles if the ROE allowed.

But the A-4 was a great adversary. Hard to see, maneuverable, and when flown by some of our guys, lethal. I've had my butt kicked when engaged in a BFM fight with an A-4. That's the best way to learn how to fight: fight the best, lose, debrief, understand, learn, fight again and repeat the process. We had some great adversary pilots. Skilled, thorough, professionals who absolutely maximized the performance of the airplane they flew and never made mistakes. While guys like me made lots of mistakes...at least, at first...then the mistakes got smaller and less common...

I talked about the F-14s high AOA handling in detail in the F-14 thread, but simply, at about 20 AOA, you lose normal roll control because of spoiler washout, at about 28 AOA, the airplane rolled opposite of stick input because of adverse yaw and proverse roll caused by spoilers and stabilizer drag. You could fly it well at very high AOA and exploit its incredible pitch authority if you flew with rudder, or in the hands of a master, rudder with opposite stick (cross control - which yielded a roll rate, not slip) or even differential thrust (with the F-110, never with the TF-30, engine).

It was anything but straightforward...

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
DC3...low, slow and round engine noise.

Well...if you're going low, slow and radial, why not a new Waco?

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
DC3...low, slow and round engine noise.

Well...if you're going low, slow and radial, why not a new Waco?

Can't think of a reason why not...but for a single I would probably go for a restored Cessna 195, red with black accents,(not that I've thought about this)solely because I think it is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever.

I love Astro14's stories on flying, I was in VF-126 NAS Miramar 1988-92, he probably knew some of the pilots in my squadron. We had A-4's, T-2's for F-14 spin recovery training and F-16N's.
14232037_1427239547305435_6661132708488085052_o.jpg

14231362_1427239033972153_1270846921390549843_o.jpg

14241589_1427239000638823_8285275735756505246_o.jpg

Of coarse the Navy pilots flew the F-16's at much higher stress levels (9 G's+) then the Air Force jockey's and all of ours were grounded by 1991.

Most engine failures happen on takeoff - as the result of several factors. Thermal stress is highest as the engine hasn't fully reached operating temperature after a few minutes of idling (in fact, we have a requirement to idle the engine for at least five minutes prior to takeoff power to allow the turbine blades and engine case to reach close to normal temperatures. If they're cold, you get excessive blade erosion and case erosion as the blade clearance is too high). High bypass turbofans make the most thrust at low speed, so the stress on the bearings is highest (and we have a minimum oil temperature for takeoff for that reason). Finally, the gyroscopic forces on the engine as the airplane rotates (from physics, you've got quite a rotating mass in the engine, and you're moving it through 15 degrees of angular change as the airplane rotates in a direction perpendicular to the plane of rotation) places the highest load on the bearings (and case and blades) of any phase of flight.

So, by de-rating the engines (by up to 25% of maximum thrust), you keep all these stresses, physical and thermal, well below their peak values, which greatly reduces the chance of engine failure and greatly improves engine life.

DeepFriar was responding to my question regarding take-off at Melbourne when they ran out of fuel.

Same carrier as I've been on dozens of times, and this was the only take-off where you don't get the thrust and fast acceleration, just what was a leisurely push and slowly gaining speed until we stopped being on the ground.

Do you think maybe instead of fuel saving, that they had an issue with an engine that they were nursing ??? (just a question).

My big steam turbines we had very very strict thermal controls on when coming up from cold (30 tonne rotor + blades), the outer skin heats first (clearly), which then adds a thermal expansion difference outer to inner, which adds further tensile stresses to the rotor bore over the hot running condition...no overspeed testing until 6 hours at 40% of rated load.

As to gyro effect, everyone ignores that.

A workmate is a burnout/donut champion, and I'm glad that he runs autos - the stresses on flywheel bolts when doing a 7,000RPM tip in give me the shivers if it was a manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back