2011 manufactured tires being sold on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing ebay for tires and came across several listings where the seller clearly stated that the tires were manufactured in 2011 and that they could not be returned due to age. IMO, they are probably OK, but one has no way of knowing the climate they were stored in and if they were exposed to sun etc. If buying tires at a retail location, l always check dates on all 4 tires before purchase. If by mail order, l usually buy new tire models that were recently introduced to avoid getting old stock.

Sometimes ozone doesn't do all that much. The factory Good Year Eagle F1's were on my car for 16 years. 99% of the time it was garaged and rarely sat out in the sun at any time. There wasn't a single crack on that tire, inside or out. When I took them out of service for no other reason than age, they still performed perfectly. I'd consider tires made in 2011 if they looked perfect and were discounted accordingly for age.

I also had a set of reproduction F70x14 red line tires that sat in my basement from 2002-2013. They were at least 15 years old too. Not a single crack when I sold them.

I bought a set of 6 year old new Xice tires for my Trackers swan song. The local GM dealer had them in their warehouse saved for someone who never bought them. No issues, I had hoped they would've hardened up a bit and would wear less during the summer, but they went down to 6/32 in about 25k miles of year round driving.
I would never pay full price for old new tires, but for the right price I'd run them again.

The residual wax, mold release and resins on the tire surface will keep the rubber in near-new condition. When you start using the tire, that protection wears away and the clock resumes ticking.

In the old days the first few heat cycles could have a major effect on the rubber behavior. That's less true with modern tight process controls, but there still is an additional curing effect when heat cycled.

I noticed tire outlets will occasionally off load tires at huge discounts when they get close to 6 years old but will not go beyond that age. Whether that 6 year limit is self imposed or statutory I don't know. If it isn't statutory I think it should be. I did once buy some at less than 1/3 normal price and they were fine. If I ever paid full price for an old tire I'd be feeling aggrieved.

If the seller is hockey1242gk2 in Philly, he is a great person to do business with. I've bought probably 20 tires from him over the years. All the tires looked like they are kept indoors. I'll buy more from him too, never an issue!

It's called fleabay for the same reason that many refer to another site as scamazon.
Caveat Emptor.

I bought some 2013 snow tires for $200 shipped and couldn't be happier. These tires were stored inside the warehouse and are holding up just great. Noting wrong with them and as long as the sellers are being honest to each his own.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
If the seller is hockey1242gk2 in Philly, he is a great person to do business with. I've bought probably 20 tires from him over the years. All the tires looked like they are kept indoors. I'll buy more from him too, never an issue!

Just noticed that I got my snows from this fella. Excellent dealings and I will look him up again in the future.

Originally Posted By: Gary
Not as applicable to unused tires, but Paul Walker's Carrera GT death was due to 10 y.o. 5K mi hockey pucks, not racer error or speed. The 6 yr. limit for tires seems reasonable if the tread hasn't worn out yet; might probably have cracks (seen on tires older) or at least adhesion loss by then. My tires expire by 25K / 2 yrs.

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/5189/the-truth-behind-what-caused-paul-walkers-fatal-crash

To say speed was not a factor in the Paul Walker crash is not fair. 90+ mph in an office park is not responsible driving in any car, let alone one that's known to be a handful to drive. If they were driving 25 mph they'd still be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back