1.4T VW oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
So not the same as PP euro on Amazon ?

Pennzoil now I think has only PP Euro, not Ultra Euro. Ultra I am talking about was in old bottles, first GTL versions. Then when they intorduced Platinum, they also lowered HTHS.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I just do not like that they water down Platinum compare to Ultra GTL version

What makes Platinum Euro watered down?

Remember first 5W40 version of GTL had HTHS 3.88, now it has 3.6cp. NOACK of Ultra was 6.8%, now they do not publish NOACK.

M1 0w-40 also used to have HTHS of about 3.8 sometime in the past and now is at 3.6. You make it sound like that is a bad thing, but is it really?

As for Noack, according to my source at SOPUS, current Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 has Noack of 6.2%.

I just do not like that they water down Platinum compare to Ultra GTL version

What makes Platinum Euro watered down?

Remember first 5W40 version of GTL had HTHS 3.88, now it has 3.6cp. NOACK of Ultra was 6.8%, now they do not publish NOACK.

M1 0w-40 also used to have HTHS of about 3.8 sometime in the past and now is at 3.6. You make it sound like that is a bad thing, but is it really?

As for Noack, according to my source at SOPUS, current Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 has Noack of 6.2%.

I just prefer higher HTHS number.
If it is 6.2% why not publishing it? I bet Castrol, Mobil1 etc. know what is NOACK of PP, so what is the deal? Pennzoil is trying not to confuse us with too much info?

If that's the case, then why not run an Xw-50 or Xw-60 oil?

Quote:
If it is 6.2% why not publishing it? I bet Castrol, Mobil1 etc. know what is NOACK of PP, so what is the deal? Pennzoil is trying not to confuse us with too much info?

They all play games with data. For the longest time Castrol wouldn't provide actual HTHS numbers, only API minimums. Only recently did they get better about it.

The wide reaching agency specs must contain some latitude for smaller changes (not BMW perhaps) ... even found that when reading NMMA documents ...
Don't think they want to get penalized if an economic change varies NOACK by 1% - yet still met standards ...

If that's the case, then why not run an Xw-50 or Xw-60 oil?

Quote:

They all play games with data. For the longest time Castrol wouldn't provide actual HTHS numbers, only API minimums. Only recently did they get better about it.

Yeah I know, they all play with numbers.
As for xW50 or 60, my point is seeing 5W40 oil with 3.88cp and 6.8% NOACK is really something good and it is not Redline or whatever. Then for whatever reason they just lowered that.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: riggaz
Apparently no.

ENGINE: TIME/DISTANCE DEPENDENT SERVICE

Engine oil VW 502 00 SAE 5W-40

no other viscosity option is listed.

You're not serious, right? If it meets 502.00 then it meets 502.00. Grade is for the most part irrelevant.

incorrect.

I can see you don't know how to answer it as you seem to struggle stringing a sentence together. On my data system it lists all viscosity options. On most VW engines it ranges from 0w-30 to 10w-60 for the same engine but not on the 1.4T. On the variable regime it lists only 5w-30 504.00 and on the fixed interval regime it lists only 5w-40 502.00.

Ok, fine (VW Tiguan 2.0T for U.S. market also lists VW 502.00 5W40). However, what does that mean? Why you cannot use 0W40 VW 502.00?
Last time I checked W40 has same meaning whether it is 0 or 5.
Also this is U.S. based forum, Vw504.00 here does not mean anything due to sulfur in gas and there is no such thing as variable regime. That is only for EU, Switzerland, Norway.

It's a european and import motor oil section the last time i checked. If 0w40 was ok to use in that engine then it would be listed in the viscosity options, it isn't.

I can see you don't know how to answer it as you seem to struggle stringing a sentence together. On my data system it lists all viscosity options. On most VW engines it ranges from 0w-30 to 10w-60 for the same engine but not on the 1.4T. On the variable regime it lists only 5w-30 504.00 and on the fixed interval regime it lists only 5w-40 502.00.

Ok, fine (VW Tiguan 2.0T for U.S. market also lists VW 502.00 5W40). However, what does that mean? Why you cannot use 0W40 VW 502.00?
Last time I checked W40 has same meaning whether it is 0 or 5.
Also this is U.S. based forum, Vw504.00 here does not mean anything due to sulfur in gas and there is no such thing as variable regime. That is only for EU, Switzerland, Norway.

It's a european and import motor oil section the last time i checked. If 0w40 was ok to use in that engine then it would be listed in the viscosity options, it isn't.

Did you not see the lists of oils that is certified by VAG? for 502.00, it includes other grades of oil.

Maybe you should complain to VW and they them that they are wrong for certification other grades as 502.00, since you obviously know more than them.

doesn't work like that for every VAG engine chap

This is what a normal VAG oil recommendation looks like (for a different engine)

ambient temperature range engine oil grade engine oil classification

ALL TEMPERATURES SAE 0W-30 0W-40 VW502.00
ALL TEMPERATURES SAE 5W-30 LONGLIFE VW504.00
ALL TEMPERATURES SAE 5W-30 5W-40 VW502.00
ALL TEMPERATURES SAE 10W-40 VW502.00

Not all VAG engines list only VW502.00 without reference to viscosity. VAG have it fine, it's you that has it wrong.

Put 5w-30 VW502.00 in your Audi R8 and you'll be in trouble.

Last edited:
doesn't work like that for every VAG engine chap

This is what a normal VAG oil recommendation looks like (for a different engine)

ambient temperature range engine oil grade engine oil classification

ALL TEMPERATURES SAE 0W-30 0W-40 VW502.00
ALL TEMPERATURES SAE 5W-30 LONGLIFE VW504.00
ALL TEMPERATURES SAE 5W-30 5W-40 VW502.00
ALL TEMPERATURES SAE 10W-40 VW502.00

Not all VAG engines list only VW502.00 without reference to viscosity. VAG have it fine, it's you that has it wrong.

Put 5w-30 VW502.00 in your Audi R8 and you'll be in trouble.

LOL, Audi R8 comes with factory fill 0W30.
You literally have no idea what you talking about!. VW502.00 has requirement of HTHS 3.5 NOT grade requirement. SInce HTHS of >3.5cp can only be achieved by XW30/40 that is what meets that spec.
Your argument is:
If you put Castrol 0W30 with HTHS of 3.58 in R8 it will explode. If you put Mobil 1 0W40 with HTHS of 3.6 it will be fine or Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 with HTHS of 3.6cp.
So much nonsense on one page.

incorrect.

How am I incorrect? It has to meet a minimum HTHS value. That is related to grade but it isn't a hard and fast relationship as you should know, if you are stating I'm incorrect.

Not all of them

Enlighten us!
Except 506.01 al are over 3.5cp. Well new 508.00/509.00 are not, but that is not topic of this conversation.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
You will get most of your old oil out...but that way you will also left all residues inside the engine...

What residue? Wouldn't it have been captured by the oil filter already?

Oil extraction success is very much engine dependent. In some engines, after you extract the oil from the top, you can unscrew the oil plug and nothing else will come out.

I use an extractor on my 2014 Passat with the 1.8T gas engine. Works fine. Many dealers use the extractor method. The method works best on a warm engine (oil is thinner). If you change your oil regularly there won't ever be any [censored] in the bottom of the oil pan to worry about. I don't know about the 1.4 liter engine oil filter, but on my 1.8T the filter is conveniently located on the top of the engine. I hardly get my hands dirty doing an oil change. Changing the oil at 5k and the filter at 10k sounds like a reasonable regimen.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
You will get most of your old oil out...but that way you will also left all residues inside the engine...

Oil extraction success is very much engine dependent. In some engines, after you extract the oil from the top, you can unscrew the oil plug and nothing else will come out.

I use an extractor on my 2014 Passat with the 1.8T gas engine. Works fine. Many dealers use the extractor method. The method works best on a warm engine (oil is thinner). If you change your oil regularly there won't ever be any [censored] in the bottom of the oil pan to worry about. I don't know about the 1.4 liter engine oil filter, but on my 1.8T the filter is conveniently located on the top of the engine. I hardly get my hands dirty doing an oil change. Changing the oil at 5k and the filter at 10k sounds like a reasonable regimen.

Oil is changed when hot period, using extractor or not.

Originally Posted By: redbone3

Oil is changed when hot period, using extractor or not.

Depends on the extractor, some of them have a plastic tube that might melt in hot engine oil. Mine recommends a warm engine.

Quote:
Depends on the extractor, some of them have a plastic tube that might melt in hot engine oil. Mine recommends a warm engine.

I do not like changing oil if oil did not reach operating temp.
The fact that "it could melt" would be enough for me to go under the car:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back