Hello from Honda (new guy intro)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm an employee of Honda Power Equipment, and just joined up on this site. Wanted to say hello and let everyone know I'm here to help with any Honda outdoor power equipment/engines/marine questions or requests. I'm active on many other forums, and heard about this site many times. I work in Honda's advertising/social media group, and previously came from 12 years in Honda service organization.

Fire when ready!

Last edited:
Robert, welcome! Both of Honda's vertical shaft engine families (GCV and GXV) are pretty mature. Is there anything on the horizon that you can share with us regarding new engine development, or even refinements to the current engines? As an example, I think most GCVs went to an automatic choke 4-5 years ago on most applications, but they're relatively unchanged since they came out about 15 years ago, right?

Also: pretty much any Honda engine we buy in the United States is made in the United States, right? If I recall, they're made in Swepsonville, NC. Is that still the case? I hope Honda is planning no changes in that regard; I appreciate being able to buy an American-made engine.

welcome2.gif

Alpharetta, Georgia ?
My wifes family is in Atlanta and Athens, GA.
You guys do factory tours ?

Welcome!! And hello from snowblowerforum! Thanks a lot for your support (and the stickers!) for the old HS621 I picked up!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Robert, welcome! Both of Honda's vertical shaft engine families (GCV and GXV) are pretty mature. Is there anything on the horizon that you can share with us regarding new engine development, or even refinements to the current engines? As an example, I think most GCVs went to an automatic choke 4-5 years ago on most applications, but they're relatively unchanged since they came out about 15 years ago, right?

Also: pretty much any Honda engine we buy in the United States is made in the United States, right? If I recall, they're made in Swepsonville, NC. Is that still the case? I hope Honda is planning no changes in that regard; I appreciate being able to buy an American-made engine.

The GX (horizontal) and GXV (vertical) are indeed mature designs, but are Honda's bread-n-butter engines. The GC/GCV (diagonal split-block, OHC) are right at 20 years old now, and have plenty of product life cycle left. One of the main goals in their development was more shared parts (read: lower costs) and that has worked out quite well. The split-block design has found its way into larger Honda V-twin engines, and had great reception from the OEM market. While I can't share any unannounced specifics, it would be obvious there will be more development, features, improvements to the GC/GCV line-up. A special commercial-grade version called the GS/GSV has some nice upgrades (bearings, 2-stage air cleaner, cast iron sleeve) that will take this product line well into the future. You're right about the GCV engines...the manual choke has pretty much been replaced with the expanding-wax-clyinder-spring-type autochoke. This was mostly due to a request from many OEMs who buy loose Honda engines to eliminate the manual choke control and cable. It was determined too many new customers were not sure what the purpose of the choke was, or how/when it should be used.

I'll get a full list, but the Honda plant in Swepsonville makes all the Honda GC/GCV and GS/GSV engines 190-160cc sold in the USA. This included OEM engines you might find on non-Honda mowers, pressure washers, etc. and of course, all but one of Honda's walk-behind mowers. FYI, only Honda makes a single-stage snowblower who's engine, frame, etc. are fully cast, machined, and assembled in the USA. Last year, Honda also shifted production of all 2-stage snow blower (10 models) to the USA.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
welcome2.gif

Alpharetta, Georgia ?
My wifes family is in Atlanta and Athens, GA.
You guys do factory tours ?

Honda's National HQ for Power Equipment and Marine is in Alpharetta, GA, but the main plant for Honda mowers, snow blowers, tillers, and hundreds of thousands of loose Honda engines is the Swepsonville, NC location (since 1982) They don't offer tours, sorry!

I bought a riding mower 5 years ago, but before that I had a 21 year old Honda self propelled walk behind. Fine machine.

welcome2.gif

Pretty sure I have seen you post, and answer questions at Home Depot. My Honda self propelled is still going strong plus three years. Glad you guys are keeping the jobs here in NC! You guys will always get my money first.

I have researched inverter generators like the 2000 watt Honda and Yamaha, and from what I learned the Yamaha has a fuel shut-off that makes it easy to run the carb dry, and the Honda does not have a fuel shut-off valve.

If Honda wants to sell more of their 2000 Watt inverter generators they should include a fuel shut-off valve so the carb can be ran dry.

Robert,

A question. Two years ago I bought a self propell rotary mower from Sears with the Honda GCV 160 and a manual choke lever. I had to make a special request to get the one that was a manual choke. Most are the temp sensitive metallinc auto-choke. I was about to buy one of those until I read a fair number of reviews and had a neighbor experience the same "quirk". That when not fully cold nor fully hot....the autochoke causes issues. Case in point, if one starts the mower on a cool fall morning it will initially choke correctly but if one makes the mistake of runing it a few minutes and then stops to perhaps get something forgotten such as hearing protection, the autochoke heats up from the cylinder heat drifting up yet the engine isnt truly "hot" yet. When attempting to restart in this "false hot" state. It doesnt auto choke enough. Just a quirk like all machines have. Thought I'd share.

Does Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation still make the Honda Power Equipment 10W-30 motor oil? And is there a product data sheet available? Don't need the safety data sheet.

I've had many Honda cars and this year bought another. A '16 Honda Accord. Great car! Honda cars have been in my family since 1981.

Also bought a CRF450X this year. Had many other dirt bikes before. The X remains a huge favorite so far!

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

If Honda wants to sell more of their 2000 Watt inverter generators they should include a fuel shut-off valve so the carb can be ran dry.

Loud and clear on the stand-alone fuel valve...let me pick up my Magic 8-ball and see what it says:

31261586591_551beb5bc0_o.png

Welcome and I have 2 Honda mowers are engines on a generator and power washer. Industry insiders are always a great asset !!

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Does Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation still make the Honda Power Equipment 10W-30 motor oil? And is there a product data sheet available? Don't need the safety data sheet.

Yes they do. I got a nice tour of their blending facility a few years ago...they bring in bulk lubricants, additives, etc. via rail/tanker, and it runs through an extensive blending plant before final bottling, packing and outbound shipping. They have an on-site lab for QIC testing as well.

I'll ask our parts folks if we have any data sheets for the 10W-30 product. Stand by.

Hello Robert!
Robert is a tremendous asset on lawnmowerforum and I am sure several others.
You will fit right in here! In fact I had given some thought to suggesting you check out BITOG but figured you were already a member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back