Nico Rosberg retires from F1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a big surprise, but I can understand his reasoning. There's no guarantee that MB will have the best car next year, and he knows how hard it is to beat Lewis, the cars will be harder to drive and a bit riskier, and he's accomplished his goal of being WC.
I imagine he has most of his earnings saved somewhere so he's set for a pretty sweet retirement.

I just read that this morning... caught me by surprise.
Crazy...but I understand his reasons.
Now who's gonna fill his shoes ?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Maldonado to replace him. Hamilton will never finish a race!

Yes, if there's one place Lewis cannot beat Pastor, it would be in the ability to force another car off the track.
wink.gif
Mercedes could introduce the special "cow catcher" front wing for Pastor, and all will be go.

I was surprised at this, but it makes perfect sense. He has done what he wanted to do. He has a wife and young child, no need to prove anything anymore. Maybe he will do sports car racing.

Not a Nico fan, but I give him maximum respect.

To be on top you have to be willing to sacrifice everything. My two favorite drivers did this and one paid the ultimate price (Senna) whilst the other retired well before his time (Hakkinen). With a wife and a child, he knew he'd have to push even further to win over Lewis and he just isn't willing to make that sacrifice. That is his choice and I applaud him for it.

Racing at the top level in any racing series takes a tremendous commitment in time, and sacrifice. Good for him for retiring under his own terms.

Nico learned a lot from his dad. His retirement from driving should stick. He would not want to become another Michael. Live moves on.

Good for Nico. Good for Lewis finally being the clear #1. Perhaps this is a signal that MB is not enthused re: the new car. Maybe Lewis will move on as well.

Its too bad MB didn't lose their cool on Lewis after the blocking incident! I can imagine all sorts of driver swaps and panic if they were looking for two drivers!

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Good for Nico. Good for Lewis finally being the clear #1. Perhaps this is a signal that MB is not enthused re: the new car. Maybe Lewis will move on as well.

Deep down, didn't everybody think that Lewis was the better driver? I don't think there is much margin between them on qualifying speed, but I think Hamilton is better at racing.

How would you rate them?

I've never been a Nico fan but I find myself respecting him more after this move and thinking it's truly classy. He would not have repeated against Lewis because in the context of the whole season there was a definite luck factor in addition to the good drives he put down. Now his career consists of entering the sport and slowly rising all the way to WDC, not a one-time WDC winner who spent years trying to win again and couldn't. That's the way to go out.

There's more to it. I think he knows something we don't. You can't get more on the "inside" of your team, than to win the World Driving Championship. Perhaps he senses with available information, that Mercedes new car is going to be a dog with fleas? And he's not interested in running laps for a paycheck, and getting paid by the mile. That's for cab drivers.

Like with anyone else, I'm sure there are several reasons. He has a young family. He's not broke. He might be sick of Lewis. He might be sick of internal politics. Obviously, plenty of other drivers would do things differently, but he sees some wisdom in what he's doing.

I saw one interview where Ricciardo said Rosberg was probably passing up a $50M payday in the year after his championship. Whatever Rosberg's reasons are they must be VERY GOOD reasons.
thankyou2.gif

I still admire him for going out on top and moving on to a new chapter. Takes guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back