Where's the date code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to my research, Michelin tires have the date code at the end of the DOT sequence. I can't find the date code on this tire, I can find the DOT code, but it seems to be missing.

Here's a close up of the DOT code:

Here's the tire, not so close up.

I zoomed in on the original pic and here's what I think the E2 code is:

Box surrounding E2
then the numbers 0208432
Then a box surrounding G2
under that is 02 09500-S

Help please!

Not shown in pic. Keep looking for an another oblong circle with a four digit code, first two is week, second two is year.

If not visible on outer side of tires shown would be on the other side.

Date codes should be 4 numbers. And follow the DOT code as the 4th item. IIRC you have DOT codes on each side of the tire....only one side shows the date code. My 2015 Michelins have the 4 digit date code....1015....following 3 other groups of characters.

Check the other side of your tire.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
According to my research, Michelin tires have the date code at the end of the DOT sequence.

All highway tires do, not just Michelins. The date code, however, is required on just ONE of the sidewalls. I understand that, by rule, it's supposed to be on the sidewall intended to be the outer sidewall. That would apply with asymmetrical tires with an "outside" vs. an "inside". That would apply with tires with a white stripe or white lettering -- the date code would be on that side. With symmetrical black wall tires, though, there's really no outer or inner sidewall, but the date code is still on just one sidewall.

Good tire techs will pay attention and mount the tires so the date code is facing out. I always ask the shop installing my tires to ensure that the date code is facing out.

The first two characters of the DOT code indicate the manufacturing facility. B3 indicates that the tire was made by Michelin in their Nova Scotia plant.

Quote:
...Good tire techs will pay attention and mount the tires so the date code is facing out.....

Unless the tires happen to come with white lettering and one prefers to have them mounted white letters in. Did that with my Cooper HTPs. But otherwise, the date code would normally be mounted out.

Ah, will look on the inside later this weekend.

Thanks guys!
34.gif

I have 4 black walls too. As long as 1 of the 4 tires shows a date code pointing outward, I'm happy. 16-1 odds that the techs randomly put them all on the inside...lol. In any event, my tires get rotated in an "X" pattern. So even if they started out all pointing out. They wouldn't be that way after the next rotation. And I don't expect them to remove a tire from the rim to get the Date Code pointing outward.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Ah, will look on the inside later this weekend.

Thanks guys!
34.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I have 4 black walls too. As long as 1 of the 4 tires shows a date code pointing outward, I'm happy. 16-1 odds that the techs randomly put them all on the inside...lol. In any event, my tires get rotated in an "X" pattern. So even if they started out all pointing out. They wouldn't be that way after the next rotation. And I don't expect them to remove a tire from the rim to get the Date Code pointing outward.

Why would an X rotate move the date codes.. unless you are removing the tires from the wheels.

Which would defeat the purpose of x-rotating.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Why would an X rotate move the date codes.. unless you are removing the tires from the wheels.

Which would defeat the purpose of x-rotating.

Exactly, unless the tire is dismounted, if it's on the inside of the rim, it's still going to be on the inside of the rim no matter if it's on the right or left side of the car.

It makes sense for the manufactured date to be on the ouside when mounting the tyre. the first two digits: year, the second pair: week number

in some countries (UAE as one example) tyres older that 4 years will result in the annual car safety check (like MOT in the uk) to fail (irrespective of the actual tyre condition)

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
...Good tire techs will pay attention and mount the tires so the date code is facing out.....

Unless the tires happen to come with white lettering and one prefers to have them mounted white letters in. Did that with my Cooper HTPs. But otherwise, the date code would normally be mounted out.

Been there and done that...the Cooper Cobras I ran on my Caddy were RWL. I wanted blackwalls, so I flipped the letters (and date codes) in.

Originally Posted By: bonjo
It makes sense for the manufactured date to be on the ouside when mounting the tyre. the first two digits: year, the second pair: week number

in some countries (UAE as one example) tyres older that 4 years will result in the annual car safety check (like MOT in the uk) to fail (irrespective of the actual tyre condition)

You have the Date Code numbers backwards:

First two digits = week

Second two digits = year

Example: DDLL1412 = 14th week of 2012

See a full explanation here: Tire Date Code

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back