60w LED BULBS GOT CHEAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the box closely. The cheap bulbs usually have a 5000 hour rated life. Actual life is likely to be much shorter.

Getting high lumens from one bulb runs into heat issues that require it to have a more sophisticated cooling system. This makes a 100 watt equivalent bulb more expensive per lumen than a less powerful one.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
Hi:
I have just noticed that 60 watt LED bulbs have suddenly gotten super cheap. Dollar Tree Stores had 60w bulbs for $1.00, sold out, Avon Wal Mart clearanced 60w Great Value 6 for $2.75, Lowes had 60w Utilitar brand 89 cents. Everybody is dumping them. NOW, I would like to see 75 or 100w bulbs cheap but they seem $7-8 each. I did see 60w led floods $2.00 each wal-mart, went back for more and they were gone. Suppose there is a big drop coming soon on all of those? Seems unlikely that everybody would dump 60w at the same time. Anyway, FWIW.

I've got some of the Utilitech 60 watt LED bulbs that I got at Lowe's black Friday of 2015. They were .99 cents each.

If you go on Lowe's website and look at reviews they are pretty bad for these.

I installed them a few days after black Friday in three outdoor lights that are on for 11 hours each night. I figured that at 370 days(approx) X 11 hours a night 4,070 hours and never missed a beat.

I also put two in some illuminated clocks in my garage that are on 24 hours a day. Still burning strong!

I have four or five in various home lamps that work well.

Bought some more last black Friday but this time at .89 cents each.

Yes, I picked up some of the 89 cent LEDs in Lowes too. Wish I bought more now, you could not go wrong.

Color temp is good. Im not at all a big fan of 60 watt equivalent bulbs for the main areas of the house but they do work great in our dual fixture closets, master bath water closet and some dual fixture lights in the bedrooms.

Other then that I am still stuck with higher power CFLs for the main fixtures because of price. The 100 watt equals in LEDs are just to expensive. Unless you can score some on clearance.
We all know prices drop and I pick up LEDs only at dirt cheap prices otherwise I still seek out and stocked up on CFLs for higher wattage 100 "equals". (we have a lot of lights)
Outdoor LED spots I got for a song and a dance on clearance in HD, again, wish I bought more. They are fantastic.

As far as spending more money for so called longer lasting bulbs, not for me. Anyone can post any warranty they want on a package which I found out a long time ago regarding CFLs. The newer CFLs proved much more reliable and currently, though premature to say, the dirt cheap Feit LEDs seem to be good. Bottom line for me personally, I will always look for price as every year, bulbs of all qualities get lower in price and higher in quality.

I do see 1000bulbs.com has 2 pack 60 watt equals on sale for $2.00 but then you have shipping and unsure of the brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
One has to factor in breakage. Using LED bulbs can get expensive such as in drop lights if you drop them often enough. Or breaking overhead basement lights when work gets wild.

Why do my LED lights get so hot? I thought they were supposed to stay cool.

The CFL bulbs seem to break pretty easily when dropped, and I think maybe even slightly easier to break than an incandescent. Don't know how easy it is to break a LED light bulb, but I would have to think that they are more durable than VFL or incandescent.

I know a couple of years ago Glen Beck's employees were not allowed to use cfl's. I wonder if that also holds true for led's lol. What a nut job.

these are rated 60 watt based on the 8.5 watt real output should be the same as an actual 60w incandescent. This is the usual way for halogen, CFL, and LED, as I understand it.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
these are rated 60 watt based on the 8.5 watt real output should be the same as an actual 60w incandescent. This is the usual way for halogen, CFL, and LED, as I understand it.

I wish lumens would be the standard measure, instead of 40w equivialant etc.

I made up some 100w LEDs. They use 100w and they get hot. I had to use a big heat sink and a fan to keep them cool.

Bought some of the Lowe's deal on LED's around last Christmas. Think it was .89. Put 5 in service right away and no problems yet. No overheating issue's. Waiting for the rest of the CFL's to die before replacing.

Bought some Utilitech 60 watt LED bulbs at Lowe's black Friday sale for $.89 last year and they haven't missed a beat great bulb, grabbed a dozen more this year.

FYI I just ordered an 8 pack of Phillips 100w (14 W) ON Amazon Prime for under $5.00 each. Haven't arrived (daylight price, warm white are more) but want to try a really bright bulb in the Wal Mart floor lamps ($11.88) 2 seperate lamp units. 100w is actually 14 w and the assemblys are rather open for cooling.Cheapest 100w I have seen.

I made three 100 watters out of these ebay chips. Use a 32V DC power supply to run them. Very bright.

65b65f1c93b13a0fbe21f95df306a929_100W.jpg

you are lucky to get a year of porch light duty out of these cheapies.they are a scam.a cfl lasts longer.
and the cheap cfl were just as bad when the race to the bottom caught up to them.
now major brands are often subsidized by power companies and can be ok.
the cheap $1 each led bulbs are a waste of raw materials.
Originally Posted By: horse123
Just so everyone knows, these don't last forever. They have poor heat dissipation and have a lifetime of 5-10 years as opposed to like 25 for high quality ones.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
you are lucky to get a year of porch light duty out of these cheapies.they are a scam.a cfl lasts longer.
and the cheap cfl were just as bad when the race to the bottom caught up to them.
now major brands are often subsidized by power companies and can be ok.
the cheap $1 each led bulbs are a waste of raw materials.
Originally Posted By: horse123
Just so everyone knows, these don't last forever. They have poor heat dissipation and have a lifetime of 5-10 years as opposed to like 25 for high quality ones.

None of this has been proven to be true. Buying a .89 cents LED bulb is smarter then buying a $4.00 LED bulb unless proven the $4.00 bulb with last 7 times longer, including a warranty to that effect, which doesnt exist.

it has been true here.
i wont use led or cfl bulbs indoors.they are relegated to garage,porch,and shed lighting.
flicker,nasty color rendering,ect.
i made all my led lighting myself.
mostly nichia 219 b or c 96+cri.
retrofitted high quality fixtures.
much of these run from 12v dc solar.
one has no idea how nasty the cheap bulbs are till they see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back