Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

Acura TL in Signature -- was making a whining noise when first started sometimes.

Out -- dark red fluid with Turkey Baster
In -- Honda Powersteering Fluid

About every 2 years I suck much reservoir dry and refill. Over the years I have added Lube Control or MMO.

On GM systems that always leak I like to top off from time to time with MMO. It seems to keep the valve from sticking and does no harm.

I wish my Toyota's where as easy as the wife's GM vehicles to suck the fluid out. The opening on my Toyota's are always very small.

On GM vehicles the pump, reservoir seal, lines or rack will fail sooner rather than latter. When it fails you can replace all the fluid. On Toyota's it is usually 12-17 years before these parts fail so it is long wait. I am guessing most of them fail from people running them dry or the fluid getting as thick as honey from oxidation and debris.

Turkey baster method (multiple) for these vehicles
Escalade - supertech PS fluid
Camry - supertech atf
Beater - supertech atf

Jacked up the front end, supported with jack stands
Oil Extractor (good for sucking anything out of a vehicle)
4Runner - M1 ATF

I can't get a turkey baster in one of mine - but found a jumbo syringe on eBay and it came with a clear hose ... works great and even measures what fluid you remove and you can see condition of fluid ...

When I first brought my F150 home I did a complete fluid exchange on it. For the PS pump I did the turkey baster method I could get about six ounces out with repeated draws with the turkey baster. I would then refill the reservoir.. After a dozen or so suck and add regimens it began to look like nice red fluid instead of darkish sorta red fluid of questionable linage. Every few weeks/months I do another suck and add on the reservoir. Fluid is pretty red now so I may dial it back to a suck and add every oil change. I am using Supertech Dex/Merc fluid.

Turkey baster and refill the wife's 2012 Volvo XC90 power steering reservoir three separate times over 2500 miles. Current mileage of 68,500 miles and started the first change at 66,000 miles.

Out: Factory fill, presumably Pentosin CHF 11S.

In: Pentosin CHF 11S three separate times.

Pentosin CHF 11S is pricey at $27 including sales tax for a liter tin can. That said, it is dyed a lovely light green color. The factory fill when I first sucked it out was dark green, but the three changes has returned the fluid to light green. I should have snapped a cell phone photo on a piece of white paper for the difference between old and new fluids, but alas, I neglected that.

I have a 2004 MB CLK500, I use Pentosin 11s. Can I use ATF for my Civics? Or stick to Honda OEM fluid?

I use syringe to extract and then add new, based on dip stick or how much I have removed from the system.

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I have a 2004 MB CLK500, I use Pentosin 11s. Can I use ATF for my Civics? Or stick to Honda OEM fluid?

I use syringe to extract and then add new, based on dip stick or how much I have removed from the system.

Thanks for the help.

The Hondas are weird, they require a honda-specific power steering fluid, but every parts store on earth stocks it.

On the turkey baster I use, I slipped a piece of clear tubing over the end and secured with a tie wrap that keeps it air tight. Helps to get to the bottom of the reservoir.

Originally Posted By: KenO

Thanks for the help.

The Hondas are weird, they require a honda-specific power steering fluid, but every parts store on earth stocks it.

I can only get Honda from the dealer. Can you get from your local Walmart?

Originally Posted By: KenO

Thanks for the help.

I can only get Honda from the dealer. Can you get from your local Walmart?

IDK about Walmart, I've never looked (I try not to buy Hondas), but I know literally every parts store sells Honda-specific power steering fluid.

None of my cars have hydraulic power steering. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The Saturd is electric, the Bug, the old white van, and the Polaris don't have power steering.

There's Pentosin fluid for ATF on autozone special, can that be used in Mercdes for power steering?

Maybe? Depends on how old, but a lot of Mercs made in the last ~15 years or more are going to call for CHF-11S.

Last edited:
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited. TB method.

Out: Dealer service fill (looked nice, clear, and red)
In: Maxlife w/ 1oz of Lubegard Red ATF Protectant

Pump, which was quiet before, is SILENT now, even on a 41 degree morning (cold for Florida).

1999 Impreza Outback Sport. TB Method.

Out: Black nastiness
In: 1/2 Mobil-1 ATF, 1/2 Maxlife, w/ 1oz Lubegard Red

Drive 200 miles, repeat x 3

Fluid now is bright red and has stayed that way for 2k miles. Pump is also SILENT now, and was making quite a racket when I first received the vehicle. Steering wheel is notably easier to turn and no foam has yet been seen even after vigorous driving on hot days.

Suctioned out PS reservoir with my suction gun and filled with Valvoline MaxLife ATF. The fluid extractor I purchased from Mityvac is one on the best tools I have ever had.

02 VW. Disconnect return line from reservoir, pump out with engine running while filling with Pentosin CHF 11S, took all of 5 min for a 100% fluid change. The turkey baster method is for the friggin birds.

Originally Posted By: Trav
02 VW. Disconnect return line from reservoir, pump out with engine running while filling with Pentosin CHF 11S, took all of 5 min for a 100% fluid change. The turkey baster method is for the friggin birds.

Can I do something similar on 04 MB CLK500? Any tips?

Back