Retired from the USN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
It's been over thirty years now that I've been part of the USN.

I joined the Navy on 18 July, 1986. Was commissioned in November of that year. Under Title 10 U.S.C. I can only serve 30 years in my present pay grade. So, effective 01 December, I am retired.

I've been active, and reserve. While a reservist - there were five time that I was recalled to active duty for a year. I've got over 18 years of day for day active service.

Many of you know that I fly for United Airlines, so I'm not truly retired, not yet, but it's strange for me to contemplate life without the Navy as a substantial part. Even as a reservist, I was active several hours a week (unpaid of course) in additional to my drill weekends and training orders.

The party is tonight.

Looking forward to catching up with some old friends and raising a glass to those who are no longer with us.

34.gif

Congrats Astro. It is kind of bitter sweet. I remember when I had to get out for Asthma (no subs with that and it was bad enough I couldn't go surface) Took me about 2 years to fully adjust.
Enjoy your party. The retirement ones are always a good time.

congratultions and thank you for standing at the guard and ready.

i hope that you enjoy your time off and are able to find other hobbies and interests to fill that void.

sincerely:

jc

Thank you for your service! must have been quite some ride(ahem flight, ahem maritime navigation)

Now, since you've seen it all ,
are you:
-going to look at the sky more?
-take your wife some place nice/quiet?
-open up one of the cars and make it new again?
-stay with us more on BITOG?
-drink more wine?
-teach more flight-ers?
-learn new skill?
-visit sleddriver and volvobrick to talk about volvo's and construct wood furniture?

Congrats on getting out alive...many don't. Toast them well!

My good friend Mike retired out of the Armed Forces and also flew commercial carrier. He's gone now, but we really miss him and the tales he told were the BEST!

Good luck to you...

Thank you for your service in the Navy and to the United States. The Navy has always had an important place in my heart, and would not trade those years for anything. Congratulations for a great career.

Gerald

Enjoy your retirement and thank you for protecting our country!

I have been in my field for almost 30 years now and am going to be rejoining the company I started my career with very soon...it's kind of a weird feeling, sort of like going home after a long absence.

Astro, congratulations on what must be a bittersweet milestone. I hope that in retirement you'll still find time to comment here on the forum from time to time. Some of my best friends during my time in ROTC fly TACAIR and I hope that they can be as fortunate as you to make it out and enjoy what comes after. Fair winds and following seas Sir, we have the watch.

Thank you for your service.

I have a draft card that says my status is "1H". (1 holding). I have never received any notices that my status has changed. Maybe I will still get called up? I got the draft card in 1971, so maybe they think I am expired by now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back