New FRAM Racing Filters released at PRI

Status
Not open for further replies.
FRAM is releasing a all new line of heavy duty and street high performance oil filters at the PRI show this year. The filters will be available for all late model Ford V8's and V6/4 cylinder applications. They are also available for imprts, Late model Hemi's and General Motors LS series engines. These filters are suitable for street and racing use, featuring high flow media, screen over hi flow bypass valve and silicone antidrainback valve. the can and tapping plate are extra thick for 500 psi burst strength. Press conference will be at 3:30pm Thursday December 8th in booth 6040.

In spite of everything you read on forums about them, I've been using nothing but Fram oil filters in my vehicles for the last 45 years. And I have NEVER had an internal engine problem. Let alone one related to oil.

Nice info Motorking. Always good to see you on the forum! I hope after this meeting we can gather a little bit more information on these filters. I hope they are similar to the ultra or even the Toughguard as both are amazing filters, especially for the price.

Thanks ahead of time!

A high flow filter will never be a fine particulate filter. They are mutually exclusive goals ...

I'm glad to see FRAM do this. Screen over by-pass is great.

Not worried about 500 PSI burst strength as I never build an engine that can go even over a 100 PSI, but it means tougher end plate and that is good.

All around good news
smile.gif

Thank you for posting. I will be there for the PRI show in Indy next week. and as said Above Fram makes great products. Our Speed shop here have done THOUSANDs of engines since 1950, I have yet to see a bad fram filter. Gregg

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
Thank you for posting. I will be there for the PRI show in Indy next week. and as said Above Fram makes great products. Our Speed shop here have done THOUSANDs of engines since 1950, I have yet to see a bad fram filter. Gregg
Of course here is a famous web site, probably the first to deal in cut filter info, called "MiniMopar oil filter study" which was started by the engineer owner of Mopar done in by a Fram.

NASCAR teams have been cutting open Fram filters for more than 50 years. Not a new thing at all. Its just easier now with the new tech screen filters.

Originally Posted By: billt460
In spite of everything you read on forums about them, I've been using nothing but Fram oil filters in my vehicles for the last 45 years. And I have NEVER had an internal engine problem. Let alone one related to oil.

I think problem is that FRAM makes lowest grade oil filters for some high performance cars. I used their Ultra in my Mazda Millenia, and never had any issue. But I know a lot of BMW owners complain about their filters. Interestingly you cannot find ultra for my BMW, but that mid-road option and FRAM is advertising it as 5K filter, while car has 10k OCI (I do every 5K, but that is not point). So FRAM basically makes filter that is 5K rated when it should be 10K.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
But I know a lot of BMW owners complain about their filters.

So they "complain" about them. That doesn't mean their complaints have any merit.

I agree, me too.

But I do major miles per car, 300,000 is typical, I do notice lower compression and smog test problems near the end.

In my latest car I've used a pair of FilterMags on the outside of the oil filter (FRAM and others) that actually picks up wear metals as they pass thru the oil filter. Oil on the dip stick stays clean for 6 months before it darkens! My goal is that the engine will give better MPGs longer before it has to be replaced.

No filter can take out wear metals in the .1 to 20 micron size range with most in the .1 to 5 micron range, so the FilterMags have worked great for the last 2 yrs!!

But I know a lot of BMW owners complain about their filters.

So they "complain" about them. That doesn't mean their complaints have any merit.

Numerous failed filters, wrong size rubber gaskets....
It has same merit as FRAM claiming it is replacement for OE but made only for 5K (BMW diesels are on 11K OCI and gassers 15K OCI).

I would like to see evidence of that. And if there is, who is to say Fram's "failure rate" is any worse than any other manufacturer? My point is Fram filters get badmouthed without any positive data proving their supposed lack of quality. As I mentioned, they're all I've ever used in all of my vehicles over the last 40+ years. And I've never had an issue of any kind.

I would like to see evidence of that. And if there is, who is to say Fram's "failure rate" is any worse than any other manufacturer? My point is Fram filters get badmouthed without any positive data proving their supposed lack of quality. As I mentioned, they're all I've ever used in all of my vehicles over the last 40+ years. And I've never had an issue of any kind.

Check the filter section, there actually have been some issues with FRAM's cartridge filters, particularly for BMW's.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Check the filter section, there actually have been some issues with FRAM's cartridge filters, particularly for BMW's.

I doubt their "failure rate" is as bad as anyone else's out there. And they most likely sell far more, which makes it less overall. This is something that get's rolling on the Internet, then feeds off of it from there. As I said, I've used countless Fram oil and air filters in hundreds of thousands of miles, and many vehicles in 2 different climates, and never had a single problem... Ever.

I doubt their "failure rate" is as bad as anyone else's out there. And they most likely sell far more, which makes it less overall. This is something that get's rolling on the Internet, then feeds off of it from there. As I said, I've used countless Fram oil and air filters in hundreds of thousands of miles, and many vehicles in 2 different climates, and never had a single problem... Ever.

I've never seen an OEM filter fail in the manner in which the FRAM did. It's the different style of construction that I believe is the issue. I'm not saying FRAM filters are bad, I currently have a decent stash of FRAM Ultra's, I'm saying that in this particular application, there is an issue due to the significantly different mode of construction when compared to the OEM and OEM-style aftermarket replacements from the regulars like MANN, Hengst...etc.

Also, for BMW's, I doubt FRAM sells anywhere near as many cartridges as MANN/Hengst and their OEM-branded siblings. Their BMW equivalent filters aren't even on the shelves at the local Canadian Tire, you have to ask for them.

Again, I believe this to be a very application-specific issue.

FRAM is almost impossible to find for BMW in Wal Mart etc. 90% if not even more Euro owners are using MANN, MAHLE, HENGST, FEBI. FRAM in Euro application market is completely irrelevant player, so to have so much noise about it is pretty remarkable.
But the best is FRAM air filter for BMW 35d. The thickness of filter is 50% of OE.

Last edited:

You are defending company that advertises filter as 5K filter, in application that has 11K OCI in diesel engines and 15K OCI in gasoline engine.
Even FRAM does not claim they can do full OCI
lol.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back