Windows update issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
2. Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3020369).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46827
Update for Windows 7 (KB3020369)

Version:3020369
File Name:Windows6.1-KB3020369-x86.msu
Date Published:4/22/2015
File Size:4.0 MB

Will not install on a 64 bit system.

http://windowsitpro.com/patch-tuesday/pa...k-installations

I just looked at my Win 7 (64-bit) update history log, and says KB3020369 was installed successfully on 5/13/2015.

I really don't understand why more people don't try Linux. 90% of people use the computer for web, email, photos, all things Linux does very well.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
I really don't understand why more people don't try Linux. 90% of people use the computer for web, email, photos, all things Linux does very well.

1) Windows and/ MacOS come pre-installed and Linux almost never is. Most don't want to have to install their OS.

2) Hardware compatibility.

3) Software compatibility.

4) Support. A lot of Linux OS's are unstable, meaning they change a lot and sometimes drop off the face of the earth. Very few have substantial backing to reassure users/ customers. Institutions too small to have their own capable IT department need support. Home users might have user forums if they use Ubuntu or Mint.

5) Lack of polish. Most Linux OS's are a little rough around the edges and usually require some know-how to get going fully and completely (Debian and Fedora come to mind). Only a very small handful (Ubuntu, Mint, openSUSE... ?) can rightly be considered ready to be used as a complete desktop out of the box.

You're the last person I have to tell this, but heck, my last Linux install was quicker than the first boot and "answer all these idiotic questions and download all these updates" on a Windows machine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Why bother? Turn updates off.

Security updates?

Never a problem. Once I had a stable version of Win 7 I turned off updates. Tired of the almost constant messages and update attempts. Rely on firewall and a good security package.
Zero issues. It just plain works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
You're the last person I have to tell this, but heck, my last Linux install was quicker than the first boot and "answer all these idiotic questions and download all these updates" on a Windows machine.
wink.gif

My wife brought home a laptop of a co-worker's two days ago for me to wipe and re-install Win7. The 2 hour install and setup (you know, going all over the place to get codecs, PDF reader, Flash, Office, iTunes, etc., etc., ad infinitum) went easily enough **after** I had to go to the manufacturer's site and download the @#$% drivers for the network controller, ethernet and WiFi chips. I haven't checked since about lunch time today but the updates are still... Doing whatever it is that they do.

In contrast, I set up an openSUSE Leap 42.2 desktop in about 30 minutes the day prior. I remember a few years ago getting a working vanilla Debian desktop in 13 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Killer223

I think the big challenge facing Linux is its open source nature. The user has to accept some level of risk as stuff isn't "officially" supported. There is a tremendous user base for this, including very fine folks right here on BITOG, and folks here on BITOG (including many in this thread) have helped me a lot with various Linux distros. However, I've decided that officially-supported hardware/software combinations work best for me and my family. Manufacturers like Dell have offered factory-installed Ubuntu before, and that's an option that might interest me if I were buying a new computer in that price range. But I have decided that installing an OS on my own equipment, where it may or may not work, is not where my interest lies. I suspect that's a big factor in why Linux isn't more widely used.

In that vein, I like Chrome OS (which is a proprietary fork of the Linux operating system...Linux kernel 3.18 currently). Straight Linux has the advantage of being able to install programs onto the hard drive, but that delta may be tightening some as Chromebooks are beginning to support Android apps. Chromebooks have an advantage in terms of driver compatibility -- it's all built-in to the OS and you don't have to worry about whether or not your particular piece of hardware (graphics adapter, NIC, etc) has a Linux driver written for it...a challenge I've personally faced with Linux a number of times, and my personal context for the first paragraph above. But Chrome OS supports everything I do on a computer, with the help, certainly, of various cloud services. I use both Google Drive and Microsoft Onedrive/Office Online for various tasks. Our personal finance spreadsheets are in Excel and I used to do those on the desktop computer. I've since moved to editing those straight on the Chromebook using Excel Online (they're stored on Onedrive). I sometimes plug it into the desktop monitor for easier use. I would like to have a Chromebox one day, the Chrome OS analog of a Mac Mini.

Chrome OS, certainly, isn't for everyone. We have a reliable and persistent internet connection. While not strictly required, this is a big help. Others may not be in the same situation, or they may have more anxiety than I do regarding storing personal information on a cloud service.

I've used Windows since 3.0, DOS Shell, OS/2, Mac OS 8/9/X, Linux/Ubuntu, Android, iOS, Chrome OS -- all of the relatively modern mainstream OSes intended for consumer use (not server use), and I've decided that the factors that make one preferable over another are largely situational...each OS has its positive and negative aspects and each one will usually require a compromise by the user in some way. Each user will have to decide which compromises they're willing to take and which ones they won't, and that will be different for everyone. Some like Windows 7 with updates turned off. Some like Windows 10. Some still like XP. Some like Linux. Some prefer Macs. Some like Chrome. Some probably still live in DOS, and wouldn't have it any other way. It's all good...it just depends on what you want and use a computer for.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
In contrast, I set up an openSUSE Leap 42.2 desktop in about 30 minutes the day prior. I remember a few years ago getting a working vanilla Debian desktop in 13 minutes.

The last time I had to do an XP install, I had to get the NIC drivers from somewhere, since I couldn't get the thing to go online. The Ubuntu side went right online. That one had me worried, because I had all the drivers, except it was all source code, and four different versions of it. Fortunately for my sanity, it was plug and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back