Decisions, Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Trans(4T40E)in my 02 Malibu decided to pack it in so I ordered a Reman trans from GM which comes with a 3 year 60K warranty. The old tranny has been giving me problems for awhile now so last year expecting this thing to [censored] out I bought a case of Redline D4 ATF to use on the reman trans when I replaced it. Well,lo and behold the General now only offers Dex VI which is supposed to be used in the new tranny. Here's the question, should I just use the D4 in the new tranny or switch to the Redline Dex VI?
Fortunately I can exchange the D4 for the D6 if I want but I got to thinking that if I use the D4 and something goes wrong is GM going to not honor the warranty because I not using the recommended D6 in this trans. Maybe I'm just overthinking this but should I exchange the D4 for the D6 or just fill the trans with the D4 I already have. Any input is appreciated

SphIV is stupid expensive at hyundai dealer so in my 6spd auto I run half D4 and half havoline syn dex6. Trans seems to like it. I flush and fill at dealer with machine every 30k miles.

If it were me I would go to place I got the GM transmission or a local GM dealer and buy Dex VI and keep the receipt, you want all your ducks in a row should something happen with the reman. No matter how good a product is if it isn't approved its not a good choice for warranty.

49.gif

You dont want to let them weasel out if their reman has issues.

Go factory fluid.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If it were me I would go to place I got the GM transmission or a local GM dealer and buy Dex VI and keep the receipt, you want all your ducks in a row should something happen with the reman. No matter how good a product is if it isn't approved its not a good choice for warranty.

49.gif

+100

Not to mention Dex VI is a good standard available from many great quality companies ...

So, judging from your replies Dex 6 is the way to go. Since I got this expensive case of Redline D4 ATF that I am not going to use, I'm going to swap it for a case of Redline D6 ATF. Redline's D6 ATF meets GM requirements for a Dex 6 fill so if there does happen to be a problem they can't deny my warranty for not using the correct fluid, plus I have a really good relationship with my dealer and they told me that as long as the fluid meets GM specs and it's Dex 6 there won't be a problem with the warranty on the transmission. Thanks for all your replies.

Originally Posted By: Burbanite
So, judging from your replies Dex 6 is the way to go. Since I got this expensive case of Redline D4 ATF that I am not going to use, I'm going to swap it for a case of Redline D6 ATF. Redline's D6 ATF meets GM requirements for a Dex 6 fill so if there does happen to be a problem they can't deny my warranty for not using the correct fluid, plus I have a really good relationship with my dealer and they told me that as long as the fluid meets GM specs and it's Dex 6 there won't be a problem with the warranty on the transmission. Thanks for all your replies.

Redline D6 ATF is not a Dexron licensed product. Therefore if you are truly worried about the manufacturer's warranty, that fluid is not the right choice.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Redline D6 ATF is not a Dexron licensed product. Therefore if you are truly worried about the manufacturer's warranty, that fluid is not the right choice.

You make a good point but I think(I'm going to check)IIRC, I would have to have a fluid related failure before they could/would deny me warranty and with the quality of Redline products I can't see that happening.

Maybe, I was just responding to your comments about them not being able to deny warranty for not using the correct fluid. In reality the Redline fluid isn't "Dexron-VI" since to use that term it would have to be licensed. That's why they call it "D6" instead.

If a warranty claim were to be denied (and I'm not saying it would be), the reason would be because you did not use the fluid carrying the requirement stated by the manufacturer. For that reason if I were GM, it wouldn't make any difference if you used D4 or D6 as neither are the licensed fluid.

Redline themselves may warranty it separately, I do not know.

Yup, Dex VI approved and Dex VI recommended are totally different than Licensed Dex VI.
Amsoil D6 is a fine fluid, but if your worried about warranty at all, I would only use a licensed Dex VI fluid.

Can you return the D4, or only exchange it?

PetroCanada was a development partner for Dex VI - they got the first license and Mobil got the 2nd and so on ...
They are supposed to have a very pure base oil ... (many Dex VI are GIII anyway) ...

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You make a good point but I think(I'm going to check)IIRC, I would have to have a fluid related failure before they could/would deny me warranty and with the quality of Redline products I can't see that happening.

Why not swap the D4 for D6 and save it until the warranty is finished then use it, that way your not out anything and all the bases are covered.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Yup, Dex VI approved and Dex VI recommended are totally different than Licensed Dex VI.
Amsoil D6 is a fine fluid, but if your worried about warranty at all, I would only use a licensed Dex VI fluid.

Can you return the D4, or only exchange it?

Since I've had the D4 for over a year I can only exchange it for the D6 which is why I want to find a way to be able to use it.

Why not swap the D4 for D6 and save it until the warranty is finished then use it, that way your not out anything and all the bases are covered. [/quote]

Yeah, that might be a plan. I'm going to call Redline and see if they offer any kind of warranty in case GM doesn't cover a fix if the repair needed is fluid related.

That would be a three ring circus you really don't want to get into. Chances are you wont have any problems with this unit and the oil used wont matter, its also true that GM probably wouldn't bring the fluid into question but don't take a chance on your warranty.
Back in the day before computers if a service manager or writer denied or questioned a claim you could just go to another dealership, it took months if ever for the paper trail to catch up but not today. All it take is one **** head to ruin your whole day by putting something questionable in the vehicles service history.

Originally Posted By: Trav
That would be a three ring circus you really don't want to get into. Chances are you wont have any problems with this unit and the oil used wont matter, its also true that GM probably wouldn't bring the fluid into question but don't take a chance on your warranty.
Back in the day before computers if a service manager or writer denied or questioned a claim you could just go to another dealership, it took months if ever for the paper trail to catch up but not today. All it take is one **** head to ruin your whole day by putting something questionable in the vehicles service history.

I agree, but fortunately I have an excellent working relationship with my dealer so I will run it past them. In all honesty I don't think there will be any fluid issues. I put Castrol Transynd in the Allison trans in my truck when it originally came with GM recommended Dex 6 and my dealer told me that it wouldn't affect the warranty at all so I'm hoping this will be the same sort of scenario with the car.
Even though OEM Dex 6 will work fine in my new trans, I prefer a Full Synthetic, especially in a transmission where you go a lot of miles before needing a fluid change, plus the fact transmissions generate a lot of heat, depending on outside temp and usage.JMHO

Valvoline Dex VI is full synthetic ... I'm running a Castrol multi synthetic that had Dex VI pedigree - but when my stash is gone looks like I have to work something else in on pan drains

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back