87 4Runner 22RE Homebrew 0w20/10w40 5210mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil report is for a 0w20/10w40 2:3 yields cSt of 11.95@100C from my calculations back when I started a thread about blending 0w20 with 10w40 to reduce my stash.

Oil used was 2 quarts 0w20 Napa Synthetic 1 quart Valvoline Durablend SM 10w40 and 2 Quarts Valvoline MaxLife SM 10w40. I suspect the higher iron despite the highway run is due to the extended higher RPM running this truck experiences while nearly exclusively highway tripping (~3000-3500 RPM) when compared to my city driving where engine speeds are normally under 3,000. Additionally highway driving requires significantly more throttle input to maintain speed compared to city driving. The current fill will likely be mostly city driving again so it will be a nice comparison. I think the viscosity calculator was pretty darn close on this blend given the UOA results.

Enjoy!

Concerning the moly,I see he added two quarts of SM rated Max Life 10W40. I bet that's where the moly came from. Wasn't that back when Max Life was loaded with lots of moly before they removed it all (SN)?

The moly likely came from two places. One possibility is the 6+ year old SM MaxLife 10w40. The other is probably from me mixing and vigorously shaking the blend in the 5L LiquiMoly MOS2 10w40 bottle from the previous change. I had noticed the container of LiquiMoly MOS2 had quite a bit of moly settled out on the bottom after adding it to the truck last oil change (with a resulting UOA showing lower than expected moly) so I tried to get some of it into this oil by mixing in that container.

The current fill was also mixed in the same container and contained no MaxLife so I'll be curious to see if the Moly number stays high next sample.

Current fill is 3 quarts 0w20 Napa Synthetic and 2 quarts Valvoline Motorcycle 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Great report..id be happy to get my car to 320k miles with it still running!

It has certainly been a good vehicle for the original owner who drive it to 255,200 miles and for me now with nearly 323,000 as I type this message. I think more than anything it's a testament to what's possible with regular maintenance. Original owner had it serviced by Toyota every 3,000 miles and for the majority of my ownership it's had 3,000 mile oil changes, only recently have I moved up to 5,000 mile changes. The truck has used absolutely no oil for the duration of my ownership. I'm hoping to get 400,000 miles on the original engine, that will take me a while considering I only drive about 12,000-15,000 per year but that's my goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back