Amsoil Severe Gear or Amsoil Long Life 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the G80 Locking rear end. If I had to pick either Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 or Amsoil Long Life 75w90 to replace my differential fluids, would I be better off with the Severe Gear or the Long Life?
I have 61,000 on the truck and replaced the factory lube at 40,000. I will be replacing the current lube at about 80,000 miles. I have a 19 foot travel trailer that I pull about a half dozen times a summer, usually under 100 miles each way. I use my truck as a daily driver and 98% of the time on the road...very little off road and then nothing extreme. I might pull a stump or two every so often. Should I go with the severe gear or long life?

I prefer Severe Gear. Looking at uoa's,I'll say that Severe Gear is probably the best gear oil you can get.

My used truck had factory fill for 80k, drained like gray molasses. Put in no name syn until 100k, it looked fine when drained. Then did the severe gear from 100k to 150k, looked brand new when drained. I vote severe gear every 50k or more.

Long life is what trucks and industrial users run - compare builder approval list from Amsoil to Delvac 1 ...

I was about to post this exact question regarding the 14 bolt in my '85 GMC. IIRC the Long Life's description suggests it's designed for use in semi trucks and the like - are the diffs in those designed such that the shear loads aren't as great as car/light truck diffs?

Which ever is cheaper. Either will do fine. I have the long life in my trailblazer with the G80. Yes its a smaller diff but it is a daily driver with little to no towing. Works great.

Originally Posted By: esox07
If I had to pick either Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 or Amsoil Long Life 75w90 to replace my differential fluids, would I be better off with the Severe Gear or the Long Life?

In terms of ....??

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Eaton G80 is also in the HDs & max trailer 1500 9.76" diff. I'm switching mine, (all 3) over to 80w140.

Oronite add pack? Maybe.

www.eaton.com

www.oronite.com

All I know is that after recently installing an eaton Posi in my Ford 9.75 I have about 10oz of amsoil friction modifier on top of amsoil SG75w140. Still not buttery smooth but more wheel scrub than chatter at this point. Going to wait for slicker conditions before I decide whether I'll max out their recommended range of 4-8oz FM per 1.5qts of oil.

Is severe gear - HC-base oil, but long life - PAO-based oil?
Which 75W-90 oil is preffered for summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back