ATV OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda specs 600mi. or 100hrs. I'm really struggling to understand why when a shared sump street bike can go 5000mi. OCI's easy..

Here's my cheap HiFlo filter with 1200mi. on it, looks pristine. Has anyone done a UOA on ATV oil?

I think the universal average ATV travels at 15mph. so the 100hrs mandate doesn't square with the 600mi. either.

so change the air filter more often...we don't eat dust, maximum 2 bikes per platoon.

Stuck in a mudhole one summer I had Honda GNC oil break down in a air cooled '03 450.

I had a Polaris Sportsman 800EFI that I just traded. It had 97 hours on it and 525 miles. I had changed the oil once in the 10 years I owned it. (It was a 2005). When I drained the original oil, it looked pretty good. I had a pre-filter over the air filter, so I controlled the dust pretty well. The engine ran like new, pulling strong from idle to top end.

I traded it on a new 2016 Rzr 570. I'll be going by the book on this one, or once per year, which will likely come first. I'll be running either Polaris synthetic or Mobil 1 0w40.

Yeah, I'd probably go with the 5w50 instead of 0w40 M1, if I go that route. I didn't realize they have a 5w50. Lots of guys on ATV forums run 0w40 M1. Is the 5w50 new?

I just saw Polaris has an extreme duty 10w50. I may consider that, too. I'll do some snow plowing and winter running with mine, so while it is more of a hot weather oil, it is rated from 0 degrees f to 130. My Rzr is stored in a garage that won't go below 55 degrees, so it never experiences temps low enough to worry. Truly, though, the Polaris 5w50 would be fine for me. While I run occasionally in the heat of summer, I don't really stress my ATV engines. Snow plowing may be the hardest time on them.

Like others have said, they operate in severe conditions 100% of the time, you don't see ATV's leisurely cruising down the highway at 65mph for 100 mile stints like a Harley.

I change the oil in mine every 10 hours, but I ride it hard and race it since it's a performance ATV. The oil still looks new after 10 hours, but I change it anyway. Oil's cheap, engines aren't.

'91 Honda fourtrax still running strong

I run $4.99 Valvoline 10w40 ATV oil and the OEM Honda oil filter. Every 6months if not sooner. Once after deer season, before summer, then in Fall.

2004 660 Raptor about every 20-25 hours, Amsoil 0w40 Formula 4-stroke and a Yamaha spec. Filter, still looks relatively clean so I run that drain oil in the cheap push mower for top off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back