How tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Realtech214
I get it as tight as i can By Hand

+1 , except for the filter on my MIL's 2012 Acadia.. that one's a PITA to get to and if it's on to tight, you're gonna have a burnt hand in some way.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
I get it as tight as i can By Hand

Yep.

Hand tight plus 1/8-1/4 turn with a wrench, that seems to be working for me since the mid 70's. My 3.6L Pentastar cartridge filter cap, 100 inch pounds.

there are usually specs most commonly 3/4ths of a rotation after touching as printed on toyota filters for example.

however in practice as tight as you can by hand, and really trying to manhandle it usually ends up being a little less than the spec and good enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng

however in practice as tight as you can by hand, and really trying to manhandle it usually ends up being a little less than the spec and good enough.

And this

Originally Posted By: Kira
The instructions are easy to understand and to follow.

Oil the gasket, screw-to-contact, add 3/4 to 1 full turn...never a problem.

I don't know what the spec. is, but ^this

Originally Posted By: Kira
The instructions are easy to understand and to follow.

Oil the gasket, screw-to-contact, add 3/4 to 1 full turn...never a problem.

Yup.

3/4 tighten so it's easier to remove by hand next OCI. I never seem to go full turn by hand.

Some canister filters like the Toyota OEM and Denso ones have a "torque stop" feature where the can bottoms out on the mount to set the correct gasket compression. I like how those work, I've never had one leak.

Being that I can only grab half the filter because the other half is surrounded by the oil pan . . . if I tighten it by hand . . . there's no way to over tighten it. This next time coming up though, I'm gonna use a cup wrench.

I tighten filters by hand to what seems a reasonable amount.
I don't put a gorilla grip on it.
Sometimes I get it just right and can remove the filter without tools.
More often, I have to use a filter wrench of some sort to remove it.

I definitely overtighten.. just because my logic says too tight is better than not tight enough.. filter tightened by hand only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back