Is it worth it to change the Power Steering fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
This is for my 96' Jeep Cherokee. My grandfather bought it almost 10 years ago at 100k, has 141k now that I own it. Was originally owned by the state of Arizona.

Power steering fluid is pretty dirty, it's never been touched since he bought it. At idle, there's hardly any power steering. You've got to really crank hard on the steering wheel to get it to turn. But even the slightest amount of throttle and the steering is like butter.

Is it worth it to flush it all out, or should I just throw a new pump on and flush with new fluid?

I'd just go with a new pump. Definitely change the fluid along with the pump. You may want to change the fluid before changing the pump, so the old fluid doesn't contaminate the new pump.

I replaced a lot of pumps and steering racks/boxes back in the day, on vehicles where the power steering fluid was never changed. On my own vehicles, I've always replaced the fluid at regular intervals. I've never had a power steering problem.

On your Jeep, I'd drain the system, and put new fluid in. Only if that doesn't help, would I start replacing parts.

Always do the turkey baster method on my vehicles every oil change. Might be an overkill but it makes me feel good!!!!!

Originally Posted By: bruckus
Always do the turkey baster method on my vehicles every oil change. Might be an overkill but it makes me feel good!!!!!
Do what he say, do what he say. Last long time.

Turkey baster..remove as much fluid as you can. Install Valovline Maxlife Powersteering fluid...drive it awhile..

I think those require PS Fluid not AT Fluid. Should be the same pump as on my 2000 and it uses PS Fluid. I would do a few drain/fills before replacing the pump. That might help.

Has it been replaced recently? I know a few people who put on reman'd pumps and ended up with no assist at idle.

I'd go for clean fluid before changing parts as mentioned above.

I'd disconnect the return line to the reservoir and really pump it out. If that "failed" you'd have a clean system onto which your new pump can be added.

Sis' '99 XJ had 171K on it when we sold it so that makes me an expert (Ha-Ha). That was a good vehicle.

Unscrew the trannie drain plug and ONE GALLON drains out. (Hint-Hint)

Originally Posted By: bruckus

Same here.

Get the nasty metal-riddled fluid out of there, install a Magnefine filter to take care of lingering fine particles, and install the best P/S components you can find.

That's how I would do it because I don't like swapping P/S parts, so I'm gonna make sure that I only have to do it once.

Ok I'll try a flush.

MAG1 power steering fluid any good? A gallon jug on Amazon is $15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back