Time For Winter Prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
55 degrees, sunny, and no wind today. Kind of a last hurrah for decent weather here before real winter sets in. We have been having an unusually warm start to the late fall/early winter months so I have delayed getting after my winter prep chores. Decided it was the perfect day to do it so I dragged the snow blower and generator out for service.

Got the Ariens SB out and did an oil change( RP HPS 5W30 ), cleaned the air filter, checked the spark plug, added some fresh gas with some fuel treatment/cleaner(RP), made sure the shear pins were still good, and hit all the grease fittings with the grease gun. Hooked the extension cord to it and got it fired up( always seem to have to use the electric start for the 1st start of the year to get it going? )and let it run for about 30 minutes before shutting it down. Let it sit for about an hour then restarted it with the pull cord like I usually use to make sure it would start easy and it fired right off.

One down...One to go...

Got the Generator ready too. Fresh gas with some fuel treatment/cleaner(RP), checked the spark plug, and cleaned the air filter. Also took the time to swap a bracket on the handle around that has made it hard to get the air cleaner cover off. A little start fluid( always needs it to start )and two pulls and it fired off like a charm. Didn't change the oil as I did it about a year and a half ago( RP HPS 10W30 )and it is really hard to change the oil in it for me now due to my MS( drain is almost underneath and I have to lift the gen up onto something to do it ). I figured seeing as I haven't used it for more than about 2 hours max( and just to run it - not under load )the oil will be okay until next spring. Ran it for about 30 minutes then put it away too.

I am pretty lamed up now( again due to the MS )but I feel really good to have these winter chores finally done. Have been putting it of. Glad I seized on the good weather to do it. IF you haven't done your winter prep yet get after it. Won't be long now before real winter hits.
frown.gif

Good you got it done, Winter is coming.

I have a Check List when I put mine away,
and a Check List when I get it out.
Ariens 24" / Father bought it in 1977

I'd have no problem buying a NEW Ariens, you just have to take care of them.
To many people just don't do the PM on them.

I replaced the old Tucumsin Engine with a B&S.
The B&S came with 'plastic' cams on the Cam Shaft.
I mounted an Hour Meter on the Engine and after 3 years, I have 15 hours on it.
B&S says these 'plastic' cams will last for (if I remember correctly) 10,000 to 15,000 hours.
I figure I'm good for at least 20 more years.

I agree! I put off my winter items too, last Sunday I finally changed the oil and filter, always feels nice to put in fresh oil and filter! I also replaced the air filter and the cabin air filter. I didnt need to replace the air filter but did anyways, although I will probably only change the air filter once a year now, instead of my usual twice per year, and will continue to change out the cabin filter twice a year as it gets very dirty. Also cleaned the battery terminals and sprayed some spray on them, flushed and filled the PS fluid and checked all the other fluids, put the winter tires on as well. Didnt have time to give car a good wash and wax and clean all the windows and maybe a quick inside shampoo... hope to get a chance to do that before winter kicks into full force. Always something to do!!

I dont have a snowblower yet.. plan to buy one next year though.. fingers crossed we wont get too much snow.. going to shovel it manually LOL..

Last edited:
Had everything done well before T day as we had a pretty good storm before then. The larger invertor genny is laid up though:( Turned on the fuel and gas started to leak out the bottom so is on the list of need to be done when I finish getting the garage cleaned.

NHHEMI I hope you get to feeling better real soon. I have MS as well and I have some idea what you are dealing with here. I am very grateful to be able to work a bit on my car too. Some days I can't set the world on fire. But a majority of the days I can do pretty all right. Changing the oil is hardest for me in the summer time due to the heat. Even at night here it's not easy. Heat radiates off the pavement at night and feels 20 degrees hotter than the actual air temp. Plus high few points in the 70s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
NHHEMI I hope you get to feeling better real soon. I have MS as well and I have some idea what you are dealing with here. I am very grateful to be able to work a bit on my car too. Some days I can't set the world on fire. But a majority of the days I can do pretty all right. Changing the oil is hardest for me in the summer time due to the heat. Even at night here it's not easy. Heat radiates off the pavement at night and feels 20 degrees hotter than the actual air temp. Plus high few points in the 70s.

Yeah, heat is a real SOB with this disease isn't it. I hardly go out of the house in the summer now because of it. My neighbors think I am nuts during the winter blizzards as I am out there clearing the snow with nothing but a pull over Carhartt Henley. It has to be like 0-10 or less for me to wear a coat and truthfully I do that more to protect myself than because I feel like I need it. People come to my house and freeze because I keep my t-stat around 50. I turn it up for them but I end up dying from the heat.

Like you I am grateful I can still do what I can. Takes longer than it used to but I manage. Have slipped a lot in the last 6 months but am hoping it is just a relapse and I will recover mostly from it in time.

Hope all is well with you.
11.gif

NHHEMI...your Ariens snowblower has an air filter on it??

and larryinnewyork - 3 years and 15 hours is why these snowblowers seem to last forever! (mine is 3 yrs an 9.5 hrs)

Last edited:
That's funny what you said about the cold.. I tell people it ain't cold to me unless it's in the 10s here in southeast Va. I wear short sleeves and shorts out if it's in the 20s and 30s and I only have a relatively short distance to walk in it.

Remember to have 0 throw rugs around your place. No need to have them around. Socks with grip are great. I'm sure I'm telling ya stuff you already know.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: iahawk
NHHEMI...your Ariens snowblower has an air filter on it??

and larryinnewyork - 3 years and 15 hours is why these snowblowers seem to last forever! (mine is 3 yrs an 9.5 hrs)

Nope. Must have been thinking of the Gen which does have one as I was typing out what I did. My bad.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
That's funny what you said about the cold.. I tell people it ain't cold to me unless it's in the 10s here in southeast Va. I wear short sleeves and shorts out if it's in the 20s and 30s and I only have a relatively short distance to walk in it.

Remember to have 0 throw rugs around your place. No need to have them around. Socks with grip are great. I'm sure I'm telling ya stuff you already know.
smile.gif

That is me too. I go out with just t-shirt and shorts too( as long as I am not going to be outside for a long period and then just for safety I at least cover my arms and legs ). I don't even wear socks. Just my sneakers. People look at me like I am nuts. They are all bundled up like Eskimos and I look like I am at the beach. My only real concession to the cold is to swap out the shorts for light sweat pants, and to throw on the light Henley I mentioned ^^^, if it gets down near that 0-10 range or less.

crackmeup2.gif

I actually walk okay still. My main issues are vision( left eye ), weakness, and fatigue( which makes me feel like I am sick all the time ). Knock on wood I have held up well for the most part since diagnosis in 2009. It did cause me to stop working in construction but I haven't got too much worse since. I am shell of my former self when it comes to strength and endurance, and the vision issue cause a lot of eye strain related migraines, but otherwise I am still okay more or less. Physical activity though, like servicing the SB and Gen take a big toll on me now.

I am starting this weekend. Have a snowblower loaded on pickup going to shop to get an idler pulley bracket replaced. 24' boat to winterize and cover. Leaf blower and lawn mowers to run dry, generator to work on getting armature off, and snowcat to get started.

I am sure wife will want the Christmas tree put up.

I knew it. I had to go and service the snow blower. Now it is snowing! Should have left it alone.
mad.gif

i didn't get very far this weekend with the snowblower,,,didn't need it-although we got 2 inches on the ground as if to taunt me! LOL

after not starting i could feel the primer bulb was not building pressure, so i stared disassembling to get a look at it(boy what a challenge with this toro everything is so tight-just about have to disassemble everything to get to this primer hose). The top portion of the hose(on the bulb side) is all corroded.

i still have not found a way to get to the bottom of the hose(near carb) so i may try to just cut this portion off near the bulb, insert a small and i mean small nipple and then extend hose to get me by this winter.

Hoping that there is no more damage further down and can get this running soon. So far winter is starting slow, but it should ramp up soon!!!

Last edited:
Our cold snap finally hit. figured time to pack up the chainsaw as it may be some time before I will use it. Drained the viscous bar oil and fuel. I threw in a few ounces of Aspen premix and ran it for a few minutes.

Fired up the snow blower and it runs great, still half a tank of fuel/stabil from very early spring when I parked it.

The last step is for me to remove the riding mower battery and store inside all winter.

sounds pretty good to me. I usually wait until the next season to change the oil/filter (if applicable) Usually what I will do is drain the fuel. Throw some seafoam/stabil in, run it till it is starved. After that I take the plug out, check it out, spray some fogging oil in the cylinder and pull the cord a couple times to let it move then call it a season. The next season I will start it, run it till it's warm and then change the oil/filter. Fill it up and enjoy. Seems to be working for me for over 20+ years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back