60w LED BULBS GOT CHEAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
I have just noticed that 60 watt LED bulbs have suddenly gotten super cheap. Dollar Tree Stores had 60w bulbs for $1.00, sold out, Avon Wal Mart clearanced 60w Great Value 6 for $2.75, Lowes had 60w Utilitar brand 89 cents. Everybody is dumping them. NOW, I would like to see 75 or 100w bulbs cheap but they seem $7-8 each. I did see 60w led floods $2.00 each wal-mart, went back for more and they were gone. Suppose there is a big drop coming soon on all of those? Seems unlikely that everybody would dump 60w at the same time. Anyway, FWIW.

I have found the FEIT brand of LED bulbs to be very good. They have a pleasing 3000K color and are bright for a power consumption of 9.8 Watts each.

Every time an incandescent goes out, I replace them with these bulbs.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I have found the FEIT brand of LED bulbs to be very good. They have a pleasing 3000K color and are bright for a power consumption of 9.8 Watts each.

I don't replace incandescent with LED, that gets expensive. In low use areas, like a closet, incandescent is still the way to go - instant on and they last many years. In high use areas, that's where I use either CFL or LED, but CFLs are being phased out. You can still get cheap energy efficient-long lasting incadescent at Walmart. Feit LED stuff is very good. The Utilitech brand at Lowe's is not good, avoid even though they are cheap.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Cant speak on FEIT but I do agree that 3000k color is right. I prefer it to the 2700k but I do not like the daylight bulbs! 3000k seems to be my ideal.
Despite LED not always being worthwhile, they sometimes are.. I did the math this way to decide on slowly moving all my lights to LED.

On a box with an LED bulb 8 watts to produce 40 watts of light. Cost per year based on their average was 96 cents. So if you use a 40 watt bulb, I would assume 5 times the cost so 4.80 per year in energy costs.

Cost of regular 40 watt bulb= say .25 vs LED at say 4$ (they can be had for much less than 4$) So difference in price of bulb up front is 3.75, but you end up saving about 1.05 within one year, and the bulb wont need replacing for many years.. lets say it lasts 20 instead of 25 years you would likely replace standard bulb say once a year, at .25, you pay 5$ in bulbs over 20 years plus the increase in your utilities. I think its worth switching to LED.

Does anyone see a flaw in my thinking? I might be missing something in my calculations..?

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
I have just noticed that 60 watt LED bulbs have suddenly gotten super cheap.

Yes, the price drop in the last 2 years has been pretty noticeable, but I also wonder how much of this is electric utility sponsorship.

Yes - have phased them in all over (one over my shoulder now) ...
Also - we have serious bugs - and the LED yellows do not draw the winged menaces like old yellow did ...

Just so everyone knows, these don't last forever. They have poor heat dissipation and have a lifetime of 5-10 years as opposed to like 25 for high quality ones.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Yes, the price drop in the last 2 years has been pretty noticeable, but I also wonder how much of this is electric utility sponsorship.

It was my understanding that this is why the 60w LEDs are such a low cost. Subsidized by the utility companies and an incentive to replace 60w incandescents.

I haven't had issues with my non-UL listed LEDs yet, but I have with non-UL listed CFLs. Given that, I'm a bit leery of any bulbs w/out UL certification.

One has to factor in breakage. Using LED bulbs can get expensive such as in drop lights if you drop them often enough. Or breaking overhead basement lights when work gets wild.

Why do my LED lights get so hot? I thought they were supposed to stay cool.

I replaced every bulb in my house. Some are CFL but most are LED. The 20 year life of the LED bulbs is laugh out loud funny, as several have already failed. I find that LED bulbs are failing at a rate faster than the CFL bulbs I put in at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

High output LED lights have always put out a lot of heat. Back in the day, they built a large heat sink into the bulb to help the heat radiate away. Now they have cheaped out and the bulbs no longer, for the most part, come with a heat sink, so the bulbs seem to get hotter around the base.

LEDs are only about 20% efficient, the rest is shed as heat.

I replaced almost all of the bulbs in and around our home (around 90 altogether) with LED bulbs almost 2 years ago. In that time I've had two of the Cree TW series go dark, but Cree was quick to replace those bulbs when I contacted them through their website.

None of the bulbs I used are "hot" when they are on-you can comfortably hold your hand on any part of the bulb. Slightly warm would be a better description. The color of the LED bulbs was every bit as good and GE Reveal bulbs, which are the standard incandescent bulbs that I replaced in the house. The 8 5000K bulbs in the garage are a great color for the garage.

Judging from the change in our electric usage (our electric company has a usage graph for our account on their website) the bulbs will have paid for themselves sometime in the spring of 2017. So for us it was a worthwhile investment to replace all of the incandescent and halogen bulbs. There was a noticeable year-to-year drop after I replaced all of the bulbs. Especially during the winter months when we entertain guests indoors and have all of the main living room lights, foyer lights, dining room lights, kitchen lights, family room lights and lower level lights on for several hours each evening, the drop in electric use was very apparent.

Other than the two Cree TW bulbs, I have not had to change any of the LED bulbs that I installed 2 years ago. No dragging around the 10' ladder to get the bulbs in the vaulted ceilings, no keeping a few extra bulbs on hand to replace the burned out bulbs, etc. All, including the dimmable and 3-way LED bulbs have performed flawlessly.

I can't speak to the dollar store specials, but the LED bulbs I purchased are, in my opinion, vastly superior to the CFL bulbs. The CFL bulbs were slow to come to full brightness, did poorly in many situations (such as a cold outdoor fixture or garage fixture), wasn't dimmable unless you purchased a very expensive CFL, and rendered a very poor color. The LED bulbs also have a great summertime benefit-the non-flood lights on the front of the house, front of the shop, and the lights on the pergola over the deck and patio no longer attract insects like the incandescent bulbs did.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The 20 year life of the LED bulbs is laugh out loud funny, as several have already failed.

I never heard anyone advertise a 20 year life span. Many of the bulbs I purchased have a 10 year warranty, and are rated for 50,000 hours using the L70 metric and following LM-80-08 measurement methods. So far that seems to be reasonable in my experience with LED bulbs. But again, I didn't buy the dollar store cheapies so I can't comment on those.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
One has to factor in breakage. Using LED bulbs can get expensive such as in drop lights if you drop them often enough. Or breaking overhead basement lights when work gets wild.

I guess that's why batteries last so much longer in LED flashlights. Oh, wait.

Where are you getting that 20% figure?

The luminous Efficacy (in lm/W) for an LED A19, warm white dimmable is 78. An incandescent A19 is 15. To my knowledge, luminous efficacy is the only good measurement of the luminous flux to power ratio. I'd be interested to see your proof that LEDs are only 20% efficient.

A year ago I bought a house that had 40w incandescent bulbs everywhere. I replaced every bulb with 60w LED that I caught on sale. Paid $9 for a box of 8 bulbs. I used three boxes. I love the light they give off and my electric bill was $39 last month. IMHO You can go wrong these days buying LED bulbs.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I guess that's why batteries last so much longer in LED flashlights. Oh, wait.

Can't tell if serious... My little torch is super bright and lasts for weeks on a single rechargeable AA

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Yup. It's cheaper to buy a 60- and a 40- watt LED, and a "Y" adapter, than to just buy the unsubsidized 100 watter.

Makes for interesting lighting planning in new construction, which can be better, by having two fixtures a few feet apart in the ceiling vs one central one, with two bulbs together totalling desired lumens, and less harsh shadows.

The dollar tree store came in large cardboard display stands that implied some sort of subsidy. The Wal Mart "great value" appear to be normal product, and the single Lowes "util" brand appeared to be a clearance item, and I thought It might be a cheap comparison item. My thought is that ALL the current 60's suddenly got massively cheaper, most with no apparent subsidy. I am looking forward to cheaper 75 and 100's. At less than $1 I don't really expect 20 years, although I wouldn't be offended. No climbing to ceiling fixtures, no care in life cycle on turn ons, etc. and low prices make the really interesting. Lots of advantages. I think I got some cheap Chinese Y fixtures from Banggood but haven't tried them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back