Thoughts on the Honda mowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VNTS
So the commercial one doesnt use this, guess I will look into the HRC.

Well, the old school commercial ones (model HR215, etc) didn't, with the super heavy aluminum deck. The current HRC models use what Honda call a "rugged, durable steel deck", and I don't know the drive system on those. I presume it'd be similar to their older commercial models, but I don't know for sure.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I'm with you on the pinion gear. I have to pull the rear wheels on my plastic Honda once or twice a season to re-lube that pinion gear and keep the whole works from squeaking. I don't think I've never had a wheel off my HR215, ever.

Just keep on eye on that squeaking. I know I've mentioned it a bunch of times in regards to Honda mowers. On the ones I've worked on, it wasn't the pinion gear that was squeaking, it was the axle shaft bushings. If you're lucky you catch the squeaking. If you're not, they bind and put such a load on the transaxle, that it cooks the trans.

Good choice on the HYA. I just finished my second mowing season with it. Here's my pros and cons:

Pros

1. Easy to start. First pull (unless it's below 50F) with no choke or priming. Smooth, quiet engine.
2. Excellent clippings management system-many settings between full mulch and full bag. Bag fills completely and is easy on/off/dump. And of course the blade clutch means no restarting after dumping.
3. Twin blade system cuts and mulchs very well. I have not sharpened blades yet but probably will before Spring.
4. Easy to service-oil change, filter cleaning.

Cons
1. It's a pricy mower.
2. Still heavy (nearly 100 lbs) despite composite deck. I'm perhaps overly sensitive to weight as I come from the all-time power-to-weight champ: LawnBoy Gold Series 2-cycle (ver. 1996)
3. Gas tank too small as is the filler hole. You have to be very cautious when refilling not to spill gas everywhere. Don't refill while hot!!!
4. I like the 9-speed hydrostatic transmission however, it is geared too low. As a result, I end up mowing in top gear all the time and it's still not fast enough. I don't know what people do with the first five "crawl" gears.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

4. I like the 9-speed hydrostatic transmission however, it is geared too low. As a result, I end up mowing in top gear all the time and it's still not fast enough. I don't know what people do with the first five "crawl" gears.

I adjusted the cable for the drive system on my HRX so I could mow comfortably in 5 and sometimes 6 if the grass hasn't grown much. Speed 1 barely moves and 9 is jogging. The cable can stretch over time decreasing the overall speed. A few turns is all that's needed!

Thanks for that tip. It never occurred to me that a hydrostatic trans could be re-geared through cable tension but, I'll look into it.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

Beyond the cable adjustment for the ground speed, make sure the throttle is always in the FAST position, and use a tach to check engine speed (3,100 rpm with blades engaged). If the engine runs less than 3,100, you will not get the maximum 4 mph ground speed out of the transmission.

Originally Posted By: glock19
It looks like after ~20 years our Honda HR215 is going to kick the bucket. It's down on power and burning quite a bit of oil so I'm hoping to limp it through this season and find a replacement for next year.

Can anyone share their thoughts on the new Honda mowers, specifically the HRR216VYA or the HRX217HYA. I'm partial to Honda because ours lasted so long, but are there any other brands I should be considering?

Nothing wrong with your engine except it needs a new oil control ring. The early Honda's used a cast iron ring and it wears out. New ring is the 2 ring split design. If you pull it apart you will find virtually no cylinder wear. Many 1 or 2 thou.. Dont give up on that mower, am new set of Honda rings is only $20

Here is your guide:

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/5-...20-rebuild.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I'm with you on the pinion gear. I have to pull the rear wheels on my plastic Honda once or twice a season to re-lube that pinion gear and keep the whole works from squeaking. I don't think I've never had a wheel off my HR215, ever.

Just keep on eye on that squeaking. I know I've mentioned it a bunch of times in regards to Honda mowers. On the ones I've worked on, it wasn't the pinion gear that was squeaking, it was the axle shaft bushings. If you're lucky you catch the squeaking. If you're not, they bind and put such a load on the transaxle, that it cooks the trans.

So roughly how many hours or seasons would one get before they should replace these bushings? I stopped by a Honda dealer and they indicated the HRx and commercial HRC use simliar pinion and planatery in the wheel.

How difficult to change the bushing, time wise and what do these bushings run cost wise. Any issues with the pinion gear or stripping the planatery inside the wheel?

VNTS- On my 1999 model year HRS series (single speed self propelled, OHC GC series), the bushings started seizing up on me after about 5-6 seasons of use. I kept adjusting the drive belt thinking it was that, replaced the belt, etc, until I discovered it was these bushings. I got by a few seasons by removing, cleaning them with scotch-brite and re-lubing, but eventually replaced them a few seasons after that. Helped a co-worker on his higher end one at one point as well. All it took was basic tools (metric socket set) and a pair of snap-ring pliers. Maybe a 10min per side job to remove/replace. Just keep track of the stacking of the washers. See here:

HRXHYAREARWHEEL_zpsb89bd845.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back