Chrysler/Dodge 3.6l VVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on a cousin's 2014 Dodge Charger V-6 base model.

I used PYB 5W-20 and a Purolater L36296 filter. The drained oil smelled very gasoliney (how's that for science?)

With no manual in the glove box I called the closest dealer to ask what the recommended OCI is.

Of course I'm aware of normal vs. severe service and the vagaries actual use.

The phone answerer went to ask somebody, came back and said, "3,000 to 4,000 miles". I thanked her.

Does that sound right to you?

If an engine fouls oil as this one appears to, would that rule out synthetics? Kira

Should have a oil life monitor.

I would venture it could have gone longer than 4K miles.

His Charger has the same year pentastar as my Durango. Mine has never been past 25% of the OLM, I'm guessing it would hit 0% somewhere around 9,700-9,800 miles with rural and highway driving. That being said, several dino oils carry the Chrysler oil spec. I've never taken mine past 6k on dino and Blackstone suggested that 7,500 was doable.

As far as the foul smell, I've never experienced that from mine. My UOAs, and others I have read, have shown the engine to be fairly easy on oil.
21.gif

The way most owner's manuals are written is rather confusing and they don't clearly spell out when a severe service schedule or a normal service schedule should be followed. Often a 3,000 mile OCI is the severe service recommendation and a 10,000 mile OCI for normal service. Problem is, I can certainly see times when 3,000 miles is to long and conversely when changing the oil at 10,000 miles is not necessary. Operating conditions can vary greatly and the oil life monitor takes this into account, so it would seem logical that OCIs recommended by the oil life monitor should be seriously considered.

I live in a big city with temperature extremes and I do little highway driving, yet I am surprised that the OLM and UOA recommend a OCI near what the "normal service schedule" calls for. I think most of us should follow the normal service schedule but we are scared into changing oil more often by all the marketing of the oil change industry.

My Rogue oil smelled of gasoline too along with prismatic colour on the surface. I worry about low viscosity as oil get "near" full interval. We need a realiable portable and inexpensive viscometer! Like a Ford dip cup, Modified for use with low viscosity fluids.

I changed Edge EP 5w30 at 4700 miles, 4 months. IDK what Nissan interval is. Oil seemed toast as engine started to clatter and lost high RPM (4-5K rpm) torque.

BIG DEAL the adbv was permanently flexed open! Silicone rubber (well, at least orange colour rubber).

This is the Gonher filter which I had faith in until now!

Back to the Filtech Honda pcx-004 s2000 filter!

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Dodge GC with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. The owners manual clearly states, OLM, 10K or 1 year. Short tripping is defined as severe service. If you are a short tripper, doing a one year OCI will very likely cover the situation. I follow the OLM and don't sweat it. Life is too short.

Thanks to Nick1994 for the manual link.

I reset the OLM though it was not lit up. I did not read every bit of the manual YET because I had other things to get done today.

The "top mounted" cartridge filter couldn't've easier to change.
It took a 22mm socket and I'll swear it was overtightened (Ha-Ha). What people don't realize is that the big "O" ring glides into its bore and effects the oil seal. The canister should then merely bottom out.

When it "lands" it's OK.

My cousin's kid hit a tire tread on I-95 and lost a wheel. The car now sports 3 Michelins and a Firestone. One of the center caps is missing.
There is a splash shield rearward of the RF wheel well which was swinging in the breeze. I had right sized plastic body rivets with which to fix it in my stash. That felt good. Kira

We have three 2014 Dodge C/Vs - the cargo caravan version , in our fleet with the 3.6 V6.
They all have 60k plus miles on them , no issues with going the OLM recommendation, usually around 6-8k each time. Using dealership changes with PYB or Quick lube shops.
I'd be more worried about the trans on it .
We had one that the trans gave out on it at 59K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back